idea: download code assembling zine

Moderator: Modulators

timdrage
Noise Artist

idea: download code assembling zine

Post by timdrage »

In mail art we used to do 'assembling zines' where X contributors would send X number of prints/multiples/photocopy/rubberstamped pages, then the organiser would collate fone page from each person into a zine and send 1 copy to everyone. I think this could work well with download codes. Everyone has surplus of these things due to bandcamp's annoying 100 codes minimum.

everyone could send one page of codes, and the zine organiser could cut them up and staple into tiny booklets (or paste into a larger zine) and send one to each artist.

downside: NOBODY EVER REDEEMS DOWNLOAD CODES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Could include some kind of curse against anyone who doesn't create a bandcamp fan account and actually download the albums

might actually do this some time but please someone else feel free :) especially since international postage costs are too high so best within one country :(
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: idea: download code assembling zine

Post by RUBBISH »

I'm not a fan so would never have a fan account.

Nor have I ever used a download code that has come with a release.

But yes this seems like a cool idea
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

I tried to do a noiseguide zine but there wasn't enough interest ... Halzine seemed to do this well but yeah postage even for a zine is probably gonna be like fucking $6 .. ideally you'd have an international partner who'd print and mail to save on cost.

When I did the international tape box the postage worked out when averaged with shipping media mail so that everyone was still paying very little per tape.

I'd like to do that again time permitting... it got a little crazy because I ended up shipping like the day before I left for the uk .. lol
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

This concept seems like good basic idea...
Yet what if make group master PDF that can be downloaded by contributors...
for printing & selling locally as Merch.... maybe with tape comp of bands in zine or something?
There are multiple ways for using Groupware/FTP/FileSharing and such if have server.
You could even use this forum for such in thread & include attachments.
So even though the "Download Codes" concept may be cursed...
the overall concept seems very valid way for making more Merch.
Honestly haven't done zine since rubber cement paste up print sheet & Performa days.