EDM

Moderator: Modulators

RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: EDM

Post by RUBBISH »

Just browsed the top 100 global YouTube music videos. Its nearly all electronic (with traditional elements in some) and dance.

So..georgio moroders electronic disco music with Donna Summer...I mean its literally electronic dance music right?

Is there a list of the first edm artists?
Dates,essential influential rrequired releases or sets?
Who coined the term edm?

Or is this really just a noise discussion but in the guisee of an edm discussion?
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

dokkodo, the way of being alone, says
Hitotsu: Mono goto ni Suki konomu / Koto nashi.
which is interpreted as saying don't find abstract beauty.
translates as, one: i like everything
Muimi means meaningless
Hitotsu: Mono goto ni Muimi konomu / Koto nashi.
translated as, one: everything is this.

:!:
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

I would label Above and Beyond as trance.

Met them once before they were famous, shared a spliff at a student house party. Back when I was a DJ, around 2001, used to play techno and trance stuff.

They have done exceedingly well for themselves.
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Forrest

though i do like the original donna summer too.
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Social_Drift wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:49 am
JLIAT wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:41 am From the inside its pure hedonism, watch the videos.
From the outside its a cultural phenomena etc. Like hooliganismxe2x80xa6
nothing is JUST hedonism. maybe some crack addicted nihilist punks.

watch the videos? if you want to understand a culture critically you don't "watch the videos". you talk with its adherents, and take them seriously, engage in its practices, etc.

same as terrace culture -- sure.
If you haven't watched the videos you don't know what i'm talking about. Or am I trying to understand the culture - said so several times. I'm saying the phenomena itself is hedonistic, just as watch a sport is enjoyment in watching competition.

Sigh. Talking to adherants is a cultural thing, discussing the things form, classical music for instance is another. I'm talking about the latter.

Football
Classical Music
EDM

all social phenomena, and may have similar sociological schemas.... but that is not what i'm talking about.

Minor 7ths have nothing to do with offside

Trance music is characterized by a tempo lying between 110xe2x80x93150 bpm (BPM), repeating melodic phrases and a musical form that distinctly builds tension and elements throughout a track often culminating in 1 to 2 "peaks" or "drops". Rapid arpeggios and minor keys are common features of Trance, the latter being almost universal. Trance tracks often use one central "hook", or melody, which runs through almost the entire song, repeating at intervals anywhere between 2 beats and 32 bars, in addition to harmonies and motifs in different timbres from the central melody.

Which makes its distinctive aesthetic. Musically simplistic. One that many bedroom DIYs can reproduce.
"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

sorry jliat, you don't have a clue about what you're talking about.

you allow classical music because it's art.
and you allow noise because it helps you think about philosophy?
many cultural phenomena encourage 'bildung'; saying it's just art and noise is obnoxious in the extreme.
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Soloman Tump wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:12 pm I would label Above and Beyond as trance.

Met them once before they were famous, shared a spliff at a student house party. Back when I was a DJ, around 2001, used to play techno and trance stuff.

They have done exceedingly well for themselves.
So would I, but isn't that covered in EDM. And isn't the aesthetic of a quite simple musical structure, not saying that is bad, but one employing structures which build and fall, with very spacey melodic synths and a very obvious beat... i.e. a sensuous experience, not a musicological one.

Which I quite like.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

so you have struggled with 'nihilism' with fat men pretending to be nutsy pedophiles in small venues to the sound of treated static.
others do so in different ways, as BPJ aptly pointed out.

the word "noise" is no more or less special than "dance".
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

RUBBISH wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:04 pm Just browsed the top 100 global YouTube music videos. Its nearly all electronic (with traditional elements in some) and dance.

So..georgio moroders electronic disco music with Donna Summer...I mean its literally electronic dance music right?

Is there a list of the first edm artists?
Dates,essential influential rrequired releases or sets?
Who coined the term edm?

Or is this really just a noise discussion but in the guisee of an edm discussion?
EDM is AFAIK a marketing / post-hoc term. genres work differently than they do in noise -- usually stuff just gets stretched and explored enough times that someone accepts it's a legitimate subgenre. afaik there's no "HNW" the rita saying "this is now" equivalent in edm. maybe breakcore?

i used to call it "dance music" -- when i went out dancing. but techno / dnb / house / gabba they're very different.
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

A
Can you describe what is going on in this painting?

Now if you find out more- you will see more references to what is IN THE PAINTING, the guy on the right is Thomas Carlye etc.

B
Can you describe what is going on in this painting?

You will find out more, nothing more about what IS IN THE PAINTING but lots more about the concepts involved.

Right, now idea, EDM Trance is like A, you hear what you get and that is what there is, and some more but only technical explanation about BPM etc.

HNW is like B. What you hear is just noise, but there is more conceptually to this just as there is in Cages silence.

And i'm not saying one is better than another.

(and now i'm off to bed, food poisoning had nothing to eat or drink in 2 days) :cry: