Moderator: Modulators

RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: The Noisecore Thread

Post by RUBBISH »

:dancer:
The Mysterious Creep wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:06 pm OK, no

Speaking of harsh noise with blast beats, go listen to Scab Addict:
<ifrae style="border: 0; width: 100%; heigh :viking: t: 42px;" src="hxxps://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer/album=929173724/size=small/bgcol=ffffff/linkcol=0687f5/transparent=true/" seamless><a href="http://scabaddict.bandcamp.com/album/split :jason: ion">Split w/ Methlab Explosion by Scab Addict< :mummy: /a></iframe>
...where the harsh noise?
I hear distorted drum beats and that can be a part of harsh noise or noise for sure but just distorted beats...to be fair I got bored at song 5 so....I mean yeah its noisey but ..anyhow...where is the harsh noise.?

I'm not saying this or that but harsh noise is electronic based and well I mean sure a distortion pedal can make something noise or harsh noise but...

Its music...what you posted is music.
:rave:
place holder
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

RUBBISH wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:29 pm ...where the harsh noise?
I hear distorted drum beats and that can be a part of harsh noise or noise for sure but just distorted beats...to be fair I got bored at song 5 so....I mean yeah its noisey but ..anyhow...where is the harsh noise.?
Well, the noise element is the blown to bits bass that's spewing crackle and feedback over top those beats (there's also a full-on ambient/noise track at the end). Isn't noise supposed to be all about extracting textural detail from what sounds to the average person like a big distorted mess? It's highly rhythmic and chaotic, but I don't think that just having prominent drums with broken up "songs" makes it not noise, even if it is using elements from other genres. Is Scab Addict more likely to appeal to noise freaks or Limp Bizkit fans? Because I'd wager it's the former. It's not about melody, harmony, anything, it's just extreme abrasion sought through jerky bursts of drumming and max volume bass sludge. Noise as filtered through the lense of a Grindcore band. I'm not protesting the move to Misc, I understand that a lot of Noisecore isn't necessarily noise, but to declare Noisecore "fake noise made by metalheads masquerading as punks" seems pretty extreme.
Last edited by The Mysterious Creep on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:08 pm Isn't noise supposed to be all about extracting textural detail from what sounds to the average person like a big distorted mess?
No... there is no xe2x80x9c supposed to bexe2x80x9d regarding noise, endless debates, rants, and arguments over just what it is xe2x80x9c supposed to bexe2x80x9d. Maybe in time, or now, some consensus will emerge but Noise- once at least encompassed Boyd Rice and Mattin. What was common to both was the xe2x80x9c big distorted messxe2x80x9d and from that, for some, the desire to extract something from this. But the process of extraction was and is varied and for some a pointless and unsuccessful endeavour. Just as an impressionist painting can be a nostalgic and romantic scene or an indictment of the society which creates poor rural workers.
The Mysterious Creep wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:08 pm It's highly rhythmic and chaotic,
I don't see how that can be the case. Or if it is, it is no different to any xe2x80x9cmusicxe2x80x9d which employs rhythm and indeterminacy. What was shocking in noise originally was its lack or denial of musicality, rhythm being part of musical aesthetic.
The Mysterious Creep wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:08 pm
but I don't think that just having prominent drums with broken up "songs" makes it not noise, even if it is using elements from other genres.
For some it would make it xe2x80x9cnot noisexe2x80x9d, if you want to differentiate noise from other genres. Obviously for others they do not do so, labelling music concrete, free jazz, Metal Machine.. Fluxus et al as all part of the noise genre. And this can include bands playing extreme rock / metal.
The Mysterious Creep wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:08 pm Noise as filtered through the lense of a Grindcore band.
To an extent all music is 'filtered noise'...
The Mysterious Creep wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:08 pm I'm not protesting the move to Misc, I understand that a lot of Noisecore isn't necessarily noise, but to declare Noisecore "fake noise made by metalheads masquerading as punks" seems pretty extreme.
The xe2x80x9cfakexe2x80x9d would for some apply to the filtering, or use for any meaningful or not purpose, including aesthetics, of noise. And for others this 'move' is strongly resisted, for the very reason of the tacit question, xe2x80x9cwhat then is noisexe2x80x9d? A question that removes it from any sensation into a provocation of a concept.
"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

First & foremost create what makes you happy/satisfied/inspired.
To Hell with every one else's options/expections/motivations.
Take what you want as influences.
Learn as techniques that resonate with you.
Avoid getting distracted/depressed/de-energized from other peoples personal rhetoric.
It is all perspectives.
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

If you need some blast beat drums or something for "project" then maybe throw me private message.
Possibly when eye have some of that "mythical" extra time then can possibly come up with some things...
Beware of "Creative Limiters" of other people in "noise" pushing their own prerogatives.
Define your own Style. :samurai:
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

While trying to define Noise but what it is is near impossible it can be defined by what it is NOT...and music is not noise.

Pop music..did ya watch the Grammys
...they had a performer that sang over what some would call ambient noise and it was interesting music...the singer was shit.
Not noise.

Not discouraging anyone from being creative or enjoying and making music.
But please don't tell me baby metal isn't poppy novelty music and don't tell billy eyeass is punk cause she has an on dope face and has green hair

A few years ago..5 or 10.
There was crappy now.forgotten female pop singer that said her music was punk cause she had an attitude...the music was pure pop shit...no aggression no roaring guitars or violent drums no transgressive lyrics...nothing punky....but she had an attitude..duh...go od then.
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:50 am While trying to define Noise but what it is is near impossible it can be defined by what it is NOT...and music is not noise.
Well some of the more contentious points about this is how much you can torture aspects of musics in making "noise" and still call it noise?

Is rhythmic noise actually noise or is it music etc?

Is any amount of composition whether it is discernible by the listener or not turn "noise" into music?

Does "noise" have to actually be "random"?
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

NoiseWiki wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:14 am
RUBBISH wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:50 am While trying to define Noise but what it is is near impossible it can be defined by what it is NOT...and music is not noise.
Well some of the more contentious points about this is how much you can torture aspects of musics in making "noise" and still call it noise?

Is rhythmic noise actually noise or is it music etc?

Is any amount of composition whether it is discernible by the listener or not turn "noise" into music?

Does "noise" have to actually be "random"?
Power Electronics

Power electronics is the application of solid-state electronics to the control and conversion of electric power. The first high power electronic devices were mercury-arc valves. In modern systems, the conversion is performed with semiconductor switching devices such as diodes, thyristors, and power transistors such as the power MOSFET and IGBT. In contrast to electronic systems concerned with transmission ...
I think the mistake is to use the term "Noise" as applied to a genre of recent 'music' from 1990s + and then use the term more generally leads to confusion. The "Power Electronics" definition above maybe shows this more obviously.

Though 'noise' in the term for that genre of music is maybe 'better' than PE, in that noise music is certainly in some respects 'noisy'
like "shoe gaze" has some descriptive sense, or 'impressionism' - the latter was a term of derision. (as was minimalism) It might be less confusing to see the label as less a precise definition. Not all 'cubist' paintings are of cubes. As I say, 'modern art' is no longer modern.

Otherwise you can use the term 'noise' for any sound or music which is unpleasant, when the genre it refers to is fairly specific, and for some is not unpleasant.
"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

JLIAT wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:14 am Otherwise you can use the term 'noise' for any sound or music which is unpleasant, when the genre it refers to is fairly specific, and for some is not unpleasant.
Yes you can do all these things.. like I'm pretty sure many have referred to jazz as being noise to them in the sense that they don't like it. As I have previously mentioned my informal survey of asking people what their least favorite sounds is Jazz is mentioned often and more so than other well known genres of music.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

JLIAT wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:14 am Though 'noise' in the term for that genre of music is maybe 'better' than PE, in that noise music is certainly in some respects 'noisy'
I think back in the troniks days I had tried to float the idea that PE was noise with beats and lyrics.. I seem to recall this meeting some resistance that it wasn't just those elements but the context or the lyrics had to be about transgression or power structures or something.. and that was more import than how it sounded otherwise.