Other Genres?

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Other Genres?

Post by NoiseWiki »

I've had the same rotation of cdrs with mp3s on them in mg car stereo for over a year. One is a collection of skinny puppy albums and another is an assortment of rap related tracks I got from Rubbish back from when we toured.. the other discs are my own recordings.

Otherwise my record collection is all over the place. A certain portion of it is material yet to be plundered and then much of it is either novelty records or ones I bought mostly for the album cover
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:04 am I like certain kinds of rock and pop (predominantly from the late 60's-early 80's) a lot. Blue Oyster Cult, T. Rex/Tyrannosaurus Rex, Pavlov's Dog, Roky Erickson, Black Sabbath, Sparks, Richard O'Brien (Rocky Horror, Shock Treatment).
Fun Fact: One Summer long long long ago......................................................................................
Lived/Partied/Practiced in the mansion w/studio where supposedly Pavlov's Dog recorded...
was this freak girl parents house that partied with back then...
Her family went to Europe so she invited me staying there...
thinking last time saw her was like 3-4am in Chicago bar and she was there with Ray Manzarek... (90s)
so drank with them for hour or so...
yeah sort of sounds like an acid trip or something... yet it happened
Believe it or not...
~shrug~

Last edited by WhiteWarlock on Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

JLIAT wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:41 am
Genre - a style or category of art, music, or literature.
Which? Noise was a category, and has become a (mere) style.
maybe that's a good thing -- the point of it in the first place.

what now?
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

dyt there can be another style / genre of noise, like hnw / PE / death industrial / etc.?
i mean maybe codification is really a good thing, given that it is yet to happen again...
i reckon YES -- i can think of a few artists that are doing something different and -- imvho -- good enough to later be thought of as "proto" XYZ
it's the same as all noise writ large: you record something MEANINGLESS then package it up and upload it and people buy into it and it becomes something else.
haha sentence on noise ;-)
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

Tiki Rules!
try it sometime...
with hot chicky & plenty of drinks
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

:stfu: Martin Denny is amazing.
Need to hear his live in alaska..baked Alaska I think the bootleg is called.

place holder
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

NoiseWiki wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:11 am I've had the same rotation of cdrs with mp3s on them in mg car stereo for over a year. One is a collection of skinny puppy albums
Same. I'd have Skinny Puppy albums in my car and in my backpack.
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

While I do love some good noise, I'm a rock kid at heart. While my musical journey started with 80's Hard Rock, I think AC/DC and Guns N Rose's Appetite for Destruction are the only stuff in that vein that I think still holds up. Mostly I'm a Hardcore Punk/Thrashcore/Powerviolence and (good) Emo/Screamo guy, though I've also enjoyed Post-Rock, Slowcore, various offshoots of Doom Metal (Stoner, Sludge, Drone, etc), some Folk (generally acoustic solo stuff), Noise Rock, Mathcore, Grunge, and more. Broadly post-70's rock stuff and weirdo ambient/drone. And I love Noisecore, but I view that as kinda Noise-adjacent.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
pickle
Noise Person

Post by pickle »

pretty much anything other than noise just to keep me sane. the last little while it's been late era tom waits and various folk in the gothic americana or death country vein like those poor bastards and slackeye slim. this week oldboy, man this guy makes me laugh

¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I stumbled across Filmmaker totally by chance yesterday. I really enjoy some of his releases. Some of it is less exciting, but I did enjoy this one:

I'd even say it was... inspiring. I don't typically go for any of the post-"witch house", vaporwave, synthwave, etc. flavor-of-the-month micro-genres, or the hype-mongering that goes with them (or went, in the case of some). It's seemingly more about saying you're a part of something than it is having something to say. In a nutshell: "LACROIX, SWEETIE!"

But I do enjoy this. People keep referencing Lovecraftian tropes when describing the music. I can see where they're coming from.