Other Genres?

Moderator: Modulators

BPJ
Noiser

Re: Other Genres?

Post by BPJ »

I make drone metal and glitchy breakcore, and trying to get a John Carpenter knock-off project off the floor.

I mostly listen to power metal, the fruity kind, like Blind Guardian. And Enya. Enya is great. There's a few artists that are so good at their genre or style, that listening to anyone else just seems really bland or boring, like Prhizzm makes the best glitch, so every other artist just makes me want to listen to Prhizzm. Same with Blind Guardian. No one is as good as them to me.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

Loops of Poppy's voice ala Alvin Lucier - I Am Sitting In A Room.

Not joking.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Indeterminacy wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:04 am Loops of Poppy's voice ala Alvin Lucier - I Am Sitting In A Room.

Not joking.
So what genre of mental illness is that?
And is it available on CD-R?
place holder
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

RUBBISH wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:40 pm
Indeterminacy wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:04 am Loops of Poppy's voice ala Alvin Lucier - I Am Sitting In A Room.

Not joking.
Existential Ennui.

Possible release on Microcassette.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

For me, it's usually electronic, electro, ambient, ambient dub, Detroit techno, avant garde, IDM. After that, probably synthpop, contemporary jazz, neoclassical, and some punk.

Genres are tough. I like to listen to whatever sounds good on its own, but also enhances other important activities like reading, working, or shitposting
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

JLIAT wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:41 am
Social_Drift wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:04 am https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/clownstep
has a wikitionary page, but not a wikipediia page... weird!

i'm about to lose posting privileges again. why not work your way down?
Open a word processor, write your replies, read them, wait10-15 minutes, add anything else that's crossed your mind. Then spell check, cut and paste your reply...

sorry, i was just protesting
Which? Noise was a category, and has become a (mere) style.
one thing i've noticed in the hnw group is how meme like artwork has got (a few explanations for that). so you could call that a dilution of the peripherals, or something altogether different.

if i was 17 -- literally who i was when i was 17 not super super self aware gen Z that grew up making memes -- it would probably blow my mind to suddenly discover hnw. just the oddity of it
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

RUBBISH wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:40 pm

Not joking.
off-topic, but the thing about norms is not that they don't believe you, and the thing about crazy people is not that they are narcissistic charlatans. we just have very different ideas of what's normal :D
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

Social_Drift wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:55 am if i was 17 -- literally who i was when i was 17 not super super self aware gen Z that grew up making memes -- it would probably blow my mind to suddenly discover hnw. just the oddity of it
Deep fried memes are already far beyond HNW as far as oddity goes :lol:
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

f05.jpg
Viewed 1869 times
2-memes-buffy-oops.jpg
Viewed 1869 times
have no clue anymore what all the fucking sub-genres are anymore of classifications... don't really care...
Experimental/Noise Metal Doom BM Punk Post-punk Industrial Techno Trance EBM EDM and on and on and on and on....
Whatever Eye feel like/inspired for making/channeling/listening.
have habit of compartmentalizing projects & credits for staying active/creative...
definitely not all HNW or current concepts of what "Noise" is...
experimenting is requirement for reaching new levels...
appreciate learning new techniques in Sound Design...
honestly like playing real instruments & using internal sequencer...
actually playing drums vastly increases my drum programming skills...
plus find myself compelled using very specific gear for creating at times...
composing is a sort of harder that just pressing record & wiggling some knobs...
impromptu instant recording sessions is refreshing change of pace...
also sometimes enjoy playing spaced out Cream/Sabbath Pentatonic leads on SG riding Vox wah all over trax anymore...
As far as listening it is wide spectrum of underground styles & personal influences over the years...
obsessive creative compulsive personality...
try not getting so stuck on genre labels & limiters... unless that is your very purposeful preconceived sound/gear palette
each there own... stay busy... press the record button... create
it's a big world out there.
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

BPJ wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:12 amThere's a few artists that are so good at their genre or style, that listening to anyone else just seems really bland or boring, like Prhizzm makes the best glitch, so every other artist just makes me want to listen to Prhizzm. Same with Blind Guardian. No one is as good as them to me.
A good way to put it.

I like certain kinds of rock and pop (predominantly from the late 60's-early 80's) a lot. Blue Oyster Cult, T. Rex/Tyrannosaurus Rex, Pavlov's Dog, Roky Erickson, Black Sabbath, Sparks, Richard O'Brien (Rocky Horror, Shock Treatment).

I also like music that evokes bittersweet nostalgia and memories of childhood dreams, regrets, losses. Thoughts of a time and place and state of being, beyond the wretchedness that embeds itself in everything, after innocence (ignorance) and experience collide. I like music that puts me in touch with the world of my inner-child, but also lets me appreciate it in more complex, enriching and meaningful ways than I ever could have before the loss of it. Not so much a genre as it is a theme, but there's plenty of overlap.

Current 93, Cocteau Twins, Shelleyan Orphan, Nuit Noire, The Durutti Column.