Pointless bands

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Pointless bands

Post by NoiseWiki »

I watched this documentary about a producer who had worked with many bands including U2. There was a short interview with Bono where he called U2 a punk band. I mean I'm not familiar with all of their output but I'm pretty sure everything they recorded since the late 80s does not cone any where fucking close to being described as punk.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

FAP wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:16 pm Okay, Slayer had one flawless album with Show No Mercy: on that Ixe2x80x99ll agree. But after that, every album of theirs had one or two good songs and nothing more. Raining Blood is classic but Reign in Blood is such an asymmetrical, sloppy album; compare that to either RTL or MOP from Metallica and therexe2x80x99s maybe one or two bad songs on the whole album. Yeah Metallica are a bunch of whiny bitches, but I can play RTL or MOP all the way through and enjoy it no problem: Ixe2x80x99ll never sit through the entirety of Reign in Blood again.
Oh I love reign in blood its so 1980s and hilariously satanical, its the archetype for satanic metal (Black Sabbath aside and who aren't even satanic but more about resisting evil...hell hammer Celtic frost Bathory are great but didn't penetrate at the time like slayer did) but yeah show no mercy is good.
I found a stack of slayer cds at the thrift store last month and don't care for the newer releases sound compared to that 80s metal sound.

Thow some bands you think are pointless at us.

I forgot for a moment that you're into guitar so that explains the Metalica thing and you're enthusiasm for them is understandable.
Maybe do a Metalica themed noise project?

My one attraction to Metalica - ride the lightening was the Lovecraftian references.
Metal is good with Lovecraftian references.

Growing up in the 80s and being a freak my dislike for some bands is more about the bands fans than the band but this is about bands that are pointless rather than bands I don't like...I think there's a thread for that here somewhere.
I'm a hater. I just like to hate on things.
place holder
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:35 pm I watched this documentary about a producer who had worked with many bands including U2. There was a short interview with Bono where he called U2 a punk band. I mean I'm not familiar with all of their output but I'm pretty sure everything they recorded since the late 80s does not cone any where fucking close to being described as punk.

I have this 70s punk magazine called zig zag that lists tom petty and the cars as cool new punk bands...Ahaha What the fuck.

I passed up a stack of U2 cds at the thrift store even knowing I could have sold them for a good profit.
It was all older and probably rare collectable stuff but I'm so put off by them I didn't even wanna pay the $3 for the stack.
I thought about it but just couldn't do it.
Didn't want them taking up room in my house.
place holder
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

NoiseWiki wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:35 pm I watched this documentary about a producer who had worked with many bands including U2. There was a short interview with Bono where he called U2 a punk band. I mean I'm not familiar with all of their output but I'm pretty sure everything they recorded since the late 80s does not cone any where fucking close to being described as punk.
I'm really unfamiliar with the vast majority of U2's output, but I suspect the P-word was in reference to their earliest period as a band, during their "Lypton Village" days with Virgin Prunes.

Even so, I think most people would categorize them more strictly under "post-punk". I don't know what their earliest, most obscure stuff might've sounded like, though.

This photo comes to mind:
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Who said I was into guitar? I havenxe2x80x99t played guitar since second grade, dude.

Anyways, I struggle to think of any bands that are truly xe2x80x9cpointless.xe2x80x9d Apparently somebody thought they had a point when they put out whatever they did.

Also, I think itxe2x80x99s pretty ironic for noise people to call far more successful bands xe2x80x9cpointless.xe2x80x9d One could argue noise is the epitome of pointlessness

There are definitely bands I dislike, though. Ixe2x80x99ll second Rubbish on Babymetal, but hey even that has its fans. Same thing with k-pop and most rap after 2000. Sorry I couldnxe2x80x99t provide any new ones.

Probably the worst xe2x80x9cbandxe2x80x9d I ever heard was iamnothing: really boring xe2x80x9cnoisexe2x80x9d That is quite literally just foreign radio broadcasts:

Apparently this guy has gone on to do other stuff so I canxe2x80x99t comment on those, but this release legitimately makes me wonder what the point was. To this day, I canxe2x80x99t sit through the whole thing without falling asleep. Maybe that was the point?
melko
Noiser

Post by melko »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:45 pm What seems more pointless to me, to the point of being downright bizarre, is wearing band shirts when you don't even listen to or give a fuck about the band in question, or just occasionally play 1-5 songs via streaming services.
yes, absolutely!
bands treated as clothing brands...
The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Queen, Nirvana, Guns'n'Roses
always found that absurd

on a somewhat related note, i used to be very much into band shirts
still got a full wardrobe of them and consider some cool as hell
but at some point, and i can't put my finger on the exact reason, it began to feel weird wearing them... as if i was one of those human billboards

so i only buy plain t-shirts now
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

FAP wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:18 pm Who said I was into guitar? I havenxe2x80x99t played guitar since second grade, dude?
Fuck...I guess I said that didn't I?
1598837121241.jpg
Viewed 1545 times
I got into noise because while i love punk in particular and music in general I was sick of being told I had to be like this and like that band or look a certain way so I said fuck it ill do what and like what I want and of course hate on and mock all the cultural things people worship and idolize...including noise.

Nothing is sacred!

its not so much ironic as it is reactionary silliness or aggro smart assry for entertainment sake. For me the point of noise is whatever I want it to be that's why I like doing it.
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:13 pm
I'm really unfamiliar with the vast majority of U2's output, but I suspect the P-word was in reference to their earliest period as a band, during their "Lypton Village" days with Virgin Prunes.

Even so, I think most people would categorize them more strictly under "post-punk". I don't know what their earliest, most obscure stuff might've sounded like, though.

This photo comes to mind:
Yea I figured maybe they initially were but this was around the time they performed for farm aid and bono was talking like they were still a punk band. You know nothing says punk like being a multi millionaire.
melko
Noiser

Post by melko »

FAP wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:18 pm Apparently somebody thought they had a point when they put out whatever they did.
Exactly. Only sometimes it's easy to imagine who that was and what their reasoning was. And sometimes nothing comes to mind. Take U2. Why did they decide to play the blandest music ever? Why did the studio execs decide to publish that? Who is a typical fan that buys their albums and concert tickets? I can answer those questions regarding Britney Spears, and Marilyn Mansion, and 50 Cent, and Mariah Carey. All corporate commercial projects, created to squeeze money out of particular audiences, content and image perfectly crafted for that purpose by the best music industry professionals. But RHCP and U2... no freaking idea! I've never even met anyone who unironically listend to those in my whole life.
(although I saw a giant crowd gathering to see RHCP, but not a single person actually liked them, everyone attended simply because it was mid-90s Russia, and it was a foreign band, and the admission was free... my whole grim and frostbitten satanic black metal band went there :viking: )
FAP wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:18 pm Also, I think itxe2x80x99s pretty ironic for noise people to call far more successful bands xe2x80x9cpointless.xe2x80x9d One could argue noise is the epitome of pointlessness
This has nothing to do with success or professionalism. This is "I don't like it, but I understand why it was made" vs "I have no idea why this exists at all".
Rubby
Noiser

Post by Rubby »

While I am a lifelong metal and hip hop fan and could pointlessly(ha!) debate the assertions made here (South of Heaven rules, there's a ton of great rap made after the 90's) I get exactly what OP is saying. I am unfortunately bombarded with top 40 radio all day at work, and a lot of contemporary pop music seems well and truly pointless. I listen and feel my intelligence is being insulted, and I wonder just who the intended audience is...could anybody possibly hate themselves enough to listen to One Republic? It sounds like music made by robots for other robots. I feel like if i switched bodies with a contemporary country music fan I'd blow my brains out within seconds.