Pointless bands

Moderator: Modulators

melko
Noiser

Pointless bands

Post by melko »

Starting a separate thread as per Dr. Rubbish's advice.
melko wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:10 am some bands make no sense to me at all
this is not about genre or even personal preferences
rather, it's about the ability to understand why people might find so-and-so band entertaining
for example, i dont like hip-hop or r'n'b
and i strongly dislike jazz and idm
but i get the point... what's the core underlying aesthetic, what traits the fans find appealing etc
and then there are well known, successful artists who leave me completely puzzled
asking myself, why is this popular, who listens to this, what exactly is supposed to be fun about this kind of music and why make it at all
those are rare, i "get" most of the mainstream stuff
one example of a make-no-sense band is Red Hot Chili Peppers
completely fucking pointless, sounds like a distilled essence of nothing at all

plz gimme your list of "pointless" bands if you have any
Any thoughts?
melko
Noiser

Re: Pointless bands

Post by melko »

more personal examples: U2, Jamiroquai
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

1st RHCP is awright for 1983...then...naw
So if you're ever in 1983.

U2 is one of the worst. Again that bloody Sunday video was cool for 1980 whatever but just that one song. One damn song.
With or without me...without thanks.

Jameriwhateverwhocares.

Metalica after thier 2nd album...pointless.

ACDC after Bon Scott died.

Elvis exposed middle class white America to rock n roll so there's that but over all aside from that one point he is musically pointless...he created nothing original that is worth a fuck. Pointless and really just not that good.

Cher...WTF.

BTS and all that Kpop crap and the western U.K. and U.S. equivilents...I mean.... its music specifically designed for tween girls by creepy old man music producers.

Babymetal...same as the above but even more pointless or maybe I just fucking hate it. Bad metal music with played out Asian school girls.

Miley Cyrus and her stupid fucking dad...pointless. Pap total musical gruel.
place holder
melko
Noiser

Post by melko »

music for rebellious teens, music for non-rebellious teens, music for young girls, music for young boys, music for housewives, music for poor white people, music for poor black people, music for middle-aged rich people, lowest common denominator music for people who don't give a single fuck about music...

no need to like any of that to understand why it is made and who is it made for, so there is at least "some" point

to use a food metaphor, it is understandable why some people prefer deep fried snickers, and some people would prefer bat soup, and some people would put ketchup into their porridge (true story), but i can't wrap up my mind around the idea of people voluntarily chewing on cardboard paper... unless it's for some reason unrelated to eating per se
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

melko wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:07 pm music for rebellious teens, music for non-rebellious teens, music for young girls, music for young boys, music for housewives, music for poor white people, music for poor black people, music for middle-aged rich people, lowest common denominator music for people who don't give a single fuck about music...

no need to like any of that to understand why it is made and who is it made for, so there is at least "some" point

to use a food metaphor, it is understandable why some people prefer deep fried snickers, and some people would prefer bat soup, and some people would put ketchup into their porridge (true story), but i can't wrap up my mind around the idea of people voluntarily chewing on cardboard paper... unless it's for some reason unrelated to eating per se

Agreed...I like the food metaphor.

My point on babymetal is that it's only point is to be a product and for music I think thats pointless. It has no 'soul'.
Its that cardboard you're talking about.

Go look at the line up for the MTV video music awards.
Nearly all of them are pointless.
I'm being nice using 'nearly'.

Van Halen after David Lee Roth is pointless. I dont care if the band is named after the 2 brothers still in the band.

So many bands become pointless.
Bands that had something(even if I dont like that something) at first maybe and then...nope...pointless...move along.
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

RUBBISH wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:30 pm
BULLSHIT.

Master of Puppets, ffs
And Justice For All
The Black Album... yes I consider it a good album, bite me
Hell, Lulu is one of my favorite albums for how bizarre and funny it is.

Sure, Ride The Lightning was pretty much the height of their career, and Hardwired was embarrassing garbage, but only the first two albums? No fucking way.

Kill Em All is overrated btw
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

FAP wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:58 pm
RUBBISH wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:30 pm
BULLSHIT.

Master of Puppets, ffs
And Justice For All
The Black Album... yes I consider it a good album, bite me
Hell, Lulu is one of my favorite albums for how bizarre and funny it is.

Sure, Ride The Lightning was pretty much the height of their career, and Hardwired was embarrassing garbage, but only the first two albums? No fucking way.

Kill Em All is overrated btw
I will bite you. :P
You can't take this too seriously.

Naw I dont like any of that stuff.
Makes me wanna hit jean jacketed mullet heads with bricks.
It was and is too corny for me.
It just doesn't work for me...its pointless.
Pastor of Muppets!

Slayer was better anyhow skull

Jackyl...that chainsaw baby song band...pointless

guns n roses....
derppity derp derp
POINTLESS

Bon Jovi...

Nelson..the lame ricky nelson twins band.
place holder
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

melko wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:07 pmi can't wrap up my mind around the idea of people voluntarily chewing on cardboard paper... unless it's for some reason unrelated to eating per se
And there is your answer. A lot of people don't really listen to music. It's just a type of room enhancer. Literally "muzak".

What seems more pointless to me, to the point of being downright bizarre, is wearing band shirts when you don't even listen to or give a fuck about the band in question, or just occasionally play 1-5 songs via streaming services. This seems to be incredibly commonplace. It's bizarre that people will plaster brands and logos and pop iconography all over themselves without feeling any kind of meaningful connection to it.

The only exception I can make here is in instances of getting something for free: "Hey, a free promotional shirt! And I don't exactly hate this event/radio station/brand of soda either..." Clothes ultimately serve a utilitarian function. It's the main reason they exist, so embellishing a functional, free item with logos for something I am either remotely excited about, or can at least appreciate with any degree of irony/absurd humor, seems relatively harmless.

But it's very odd to me that people have allowed clothing to function secondarily as a form of unwitting, covert brand advertisement (sans compensation, or even just simple, honest passion for what's being advertised) without any thought put towards the table of shoddily-printed "Sprite". "Coke", and "Dr. Pepper" t-shirts available, mass-produced by sweatshops, in your nearest big-name dept. store chain. No one ever stops and says "What is the point of this? who the hell is this really for? Does anyone like Dr. Pepper that much?"
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Korn

Slipknot

Mudvaynne

System of A Down

Limp bizkit

Linkin park

Pretty much any and all 90s numetal stuff

Go on..slay me and call me a cunt.

Odd note...the 'nu' always reminds me of Gary numan and makes me think its if Gary numan did metal
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Okay, Slayer had one flawless album with Show No Mercy: on that Ixe2x80x99ll agree. But after that, every album of theirs had one or two good songs and nothing more. Raining Blood is classic but Reign in Blood is such an asymmetrical, sloppy album; compare that to either RTL or MOP from Metallica and therexe2x80x99s maybe one or two bad songs on the whole album. Yeah Metallica are a bunch of whiny bitches, but I can play RTL or MOP all the way through and enjoy it no problem: Ixe2x80x99ll never sit through the entirety of Reign in Blood again.