NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Comfy Synth

Post by NoiseWiki »

Pigswill
Noise Artist

Re: Comfy Synth

Post by Pigswill »

That made me think of Kakariko Village from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Really nice.

Here are a few that I enjoy:

"The City" by Vangelis is excellent. It really peaks with Nerve Centre, though that's a bit more energetic for something I'd classify as a comfy track. The whole thing was made by Vangelis in a hotel room only on synths and has Roman Polanski providing some short vocals on the intro and outro of the album. This song in particular, though, is quite relaxing:

Anyone who is into Tangerine Dream or Jean-Michel Jarre would like Software's "Syn-Code". I haven't heard a lot of Software's albums yet, but out of the ones that I have heard, this one is by far my favorite. It's a little spacey and mysterious. It makes me think of libraries, space exploration, and the game Myst at times. The whole album has this quality, though it's unfortunately marred a bit by some brief speaking parts at the beginning and end that seem out of place.

Finally, this piece from ARP's album Zebra, which has rich instrumentation, but is cool and relaxing the entire time. I went back and grabbed their EP "Pulsars E Quasars", which sounds like a completely different band, delivering something much closer to light rock than to this ambient instrumental masterpiece: