Why we make Noise

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Why we make Noise

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:52 pm But is we want to ascribe some absurd reason for my making noise
Personally I think it's because being inside the womb sounds like HNW
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

In the 80s/90s recorded/experimented with noise as way for learning 4 track machines by myself...
didn't require other people...
and or much gear...
on one experimental demo with certain friends/band(Ben&Drew) in town we called "Eville"
recorded electronic sound FX from classic SCI/Horror movies manually punching isolated sounds onto 4track...
(ForbidenPlanet/ThisIslandEarth/DaytheEarthStoodStill & whatever had VHS because didn't have sampler with me)
took master tape apart.. then cut the tape completely apart... put strips of tape into my CBGB's hat...
pulled pieces out at random for scotch taping back together without cutting block...
crammed it through some distortion pedal on hand for the mix...
honestly had been stoned for days during that project...
hmmm that was ummm 90-91???
this can be easily confirmed by certain "scene" people since they were around, yet may go into "noise lore"
noise you can completely do by yourself if need be with limited gear & some creativity...
& some forms of "noise" are far easier making than other genres IMO...
played recorded Metal/Doom/Death/Punk/PostPunk/Industrial/FreeJazz/Noise/HarshNoise/Experimental...
also worked as studio engineer in "real" studio...
thus my perspective may be somewhat different...
plus actually have background in MusicTheory considering started reading music at 4-5 years old...
currently have been focusing on Experimental/Noise for my own reasons...
anymore it's mostly byproducts of Sound Design experiments...
also rather not just follow current trends in "Noise"
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

NoiseWiki wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:58 pm
RUBBISH wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:52 pm But is we want to ascribe some absurd reason for my making noise
It's possible. The first year of a baby's life is apparently a very psychedelic sort of experience because the neural connections for the senses haven't formed yet, so sensory input is all over the place.

Also, animals enjoy rhythms because their own bodies have steady beating hearts. External rhythms at different tempos tend to lead to peoples' bodies trying to match it. So faster rhythms will get people riled up because their blood is pumping faster, or slower music can help people to calm down.
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Womb sounds are fairly muffled, being heard and felt through amniotic liquid. Plus the heart beat. Most so called primitive music uses beats, rhythms. Some of the commonest and most simple 'music' is the lullaby. It even works on some animals. Its been said the most annoying and disturbing sound for humans is a baby crying, but any animal cry is disturbing...... Loud sudden sounds are generally fighting, for animals also.

Obviously these are all used in music, e.g. the minor key signature is 'sad'. Same with colour, blue is deep, (sea sky distance) which is why Hindu gods are blue. They look blue to us as they are far away. Red and Yellow are used in places like McDonalds - they encourage eating. Green sooths. I think the electric chair was green, 'The Green Mile'. School railings in the UK were green. Such that from criticism Barnett Newman painted are series of paintings, "Whose afraid of red yellow and blue".

Yet for more many the most evocative sense is smell. From the smell of rain on dry streets to that of a bacon sandwich.

So there is a 'why' hear. But why deliberately make them?
"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

they say the same about the tempo of house music
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

it's just consumption. buying gear, noise recordings. even -- ime -- making noise is about trying to draw in [rather then express] some part of the world

the difference is that noise doesn't tell you how to live.
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

Why I make noise?

I would suggest the stuff I make is more experimental electronics, there is sometimes rhythm and structure. I make it because I enjoy listening to the sounds and trying to create something from the chaotit mass of sounds.

The act of creating is a good outlet for my poor confused brain.
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Hindu gods are blue because of the high silver content in the atmosphere of thier home world
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:11 am Hindu gods are blue because of the high silver content in the atmosphere of thier home world
Crutis?
image.png
Viewed 1785 times
iNtox-Z
Noise Artist

Post by iNtox-Z »

Making Noise it's like drugs ritual, my mouth is dry when the noise is not so ordinary, I get the point of just living on, living for progression and increasing the variety of noise textures.