Ask Dr Rubbish

Moderator: Modulators

RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: Ask Dr Rubbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Social_Drift wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:56 am
i'm, guessing causal indifference and covert hostility.

story of my life :D
Casual indifference is common and isn't at first absolutely horrible but in the aggregate long term it is..its fucked.

The covert hostility...yeah but no. Cut that shit out. You aren't in the cia.
If you are going to be hostile be hostile don't be passive aggressive...well passive aggressions can be really funny and so annoying.

If you feel somebody doesnt like you stay away from them.
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

RUBBISH wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:32 am If you feel somebody doesnt like you stay away from them.
is it that easy?
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

also, casual indifference -- at best -- is the default setting of the majority of people
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

i just watched the first twenty minutes of an adam sandler movie.

americans are weird beings. i used to watch a fair amount of american tv, and you can, but have to really keep your distance from it for it to make sense, treat it like a mime show rather than a fairground ride.

i think it's about different conceptions of money and work, less resistance to the commodification of everyday life than you have in europe. or just different ideas of 'aggression'
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Social_Drift wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:30 am i just watched the first twenty minutes of an adam sandler movie.

americans are weird beings. i used to watch a fair amount of american tv, and you can, but have to really keep your distance from it for it to make sense, treat it like a mime show rather than a fairground ride.

i think it's about different conceptions of money and work, less resistance to the commodification of everyday life than you have in europe. or just different ideas of 'aggression'
American culture at its roots is English culture.
But Yes we Americans can be strange creatures...I blame that on the fact that our culture is new and after the English is made up of every other culture on the planet.
place holder
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

Rubbish, do you remember the interview you did with me years ago?
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

RUBBISH wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:32 am
Social_Drift wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:30 am i just watched the first twenty minutes of an adam sandler movie.

American culture at its roots is English culture.
But Yes we Americans can be strange creatures...I blame that on the fact that our culture is new and after the English is made up of every other culture on the planet.
eh i read a vice article on the difference in ironies, which i think is pretty heavily linked to politeness.

comparing the two, i think english people are more tolerant the closer you get, but less tolerant of outsiders. just an impression. last time i was in london i sat next to an american couple, tourists, and their grown up son. it came as some relief that a canadian couple struck up a conversation with them, i was clawing at the window at that point.

just felt too close to them, like i was invading their space.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

BPJ wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 am Rubbish, do you remember the interview you did with me years ago?
Yes I do...I have the noise set I did somewhere.
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

another big differerence in america is drink. i was drinking each weekend by the time i was 14 i guess. this was not at all unusual. i had like one friend the whole time before i started drinking, to play warhammer with :lol:

and guns, ofc.