Merzwow

Re: What Noise Is Not.

Post by JLIAT »

"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

JLIAT wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:36 am Maybe also pick football teams and Olympic athletes in a non elitist way, and surgeons...
Art.. it's not brain surgery or rocket science or athletic
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

NoiseWiki wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:31 am
JLIAT wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:36 am Maybe also pick football teams and Olympic athletes in a non elitist way, and surgeons...
Art.. it's not brain surgery or rocket science or athletic
Art began with an "era of imitation, followed by an era of ideology, followed by our post-historical era in which, with qualification, anything goes... In our narrative, at first only mimesis [imitation] was art, then several things were art but each tried to extinguish its competitors, and then, finally, it became apparent that there were no stylistic or philosophical constraints. There is no special way works of art have to be.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/tech/talk ... 893296001/
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

i agree that there's "no special way artworks have to be" but disagree that this -- post modernism right -- means the end of art. maybe the end of art criticism? which would be bad, but -- perhaps -- not everything.

put another way -- maybe autonomy is still possible but is somehow different and more slippery,
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Social_Drift wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:25 am i agree that there's "no special way artworks have to be" but disagree that this -- post modernism right --
"it became apparent that there were no stylistic or philosophical constraints." So what rights?
Social_Drift wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:25 am
means the end of art. maybe the end of art criticism? which would be bad, but -- perhaps -- not everything.

put another way -- maybe autonomy is still possible but is somehow different and more slippery,
There is no special way works of art have to be. And that is the present and, I should say, the final moment in the master narrative. It is the end of the story."
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

if anything goes -- i mea LITERALLY ANYTHING... let's just get high together :rave:
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Social_Drift wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:02 am if anything goes -- i mea LITERALLY ANYTHING... let's just get high together
Its obvious in postmodernism that is a general feature. Bit like being on a cruise ship with 3,000 people, and a virus?

"I was walking along the road with two friends xe2x80x93 the sun was setting xe2x80x93 suddenly the sky turned blood red xe2x80x93 I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence xe2x80x93 there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city xe2x80x93 my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety xe2x80x93 and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature."

JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

In contrast to modern art, which expressed the universal human unconscious, postmodern art degenerates into an expression of narrow ideological interests. - The End of Art Donald B. Kuspit

If everyone goes off in different directions, there is no longer a direction toward which a narrative can point. It is a wholesale case of living happily ever after. And that, I have claimed, is the state of the art world after the end of art. - A. C. Danto

When I say that this condition is the end of art, I mean essentially that it is the end of the possibility of any particular internal direction for art to take. It is the end of the possibility of progressive development- A. C. Danto

Suzi Gablik makes the following observation:
In the complex transition from modernism into postmodernism, a new terrain of consciousness is being occupied xe2x80x94 one in which the limits of art seem to have been reached, and overturning conventions has become routine. As long as we are willing to consider anything as art, innovation no longer seems possible, or even desirable.

We live at a time when art is enlisted in all manner of extra-artistic projects, from gender politics to the grim leftism of neo-Marxists, poststructuralists, and all the other exotic fauna who congregate around the art world and the academy. The subjugation of artxe2x80x94and of cultural life generallyxe2x80x94to political ends has been one of the great spiritual tragedies of our age. Among much else, it makes it increasingly difficult to appreciate art on its own terms, as affording its own kinds of insights and satisfactions.
-R. Kimball

Kara Walker Fons Americanus Tate Modern 2019.
Acclaimed artist Kara Walker presents one of the most ambitious Hyundai Commissions to date
Fons Americanus is a 13-metre tall working fountain inspired by the Victoria Memorial in front of Buckingham Palace, London.
Rather than a celebration of the British Empire, Walkerxe2x80x99s fountain explores the interconnected histories of Africa, America and Europe. She uses water as a key theme, referring to the transatlantic slave trade and the ambitions, fates and tragedies of people from these three continents. Fantasy, fact and fiction meet at an epic scale.
This commission has been made using an environmentally-conscious production process and has been built from recyclable or reusable cork, wood and metal. The surface covering is made from a non-toxic acrylic and cement composite that can be used for sculpting or casting. It avoids the use of large quantities of non-recyclable materials and harmful substances often found in the production of exhibitions and installations.
Based in New York, Kara Walker is acclaimed for her candid explorations of race, sexuality and violence.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

Um, I'll cut to the chase.

So "Noise" is not "Art"?

(asking for a friend)
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

Has the word perception been mentioned yet?
When I listen to radio static or shortwave ghost voices I get asked "why am I listening to noise?"

JLIAT wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:02 am
Suzi Gablik makes the following observation:
In the complex transition from modernism into postmodernism, a new terrain of consciousness is being occupied xe2x80x94 one in which the limits of art seem to have been reached, and overturning conventions has become routine. As long as we are willing to consider anything as art, innovation no longer seems possible, or even desirable.
QED
( The never ending war )

image.jpg
Viewed 1697 times
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend