What Noise Is Not.

Moderator: Modulators

RUBBISH
Merzbish

What Noise Is Not.

Post by RUBBISH »

What is not noise?
We've gone around and around about what is noise and gotten near nowhere.
(This thread can be moved to the noise section if we don't go fucking insane on this topic)

So what is NOT noise?

What makes something not noise...a hippy shoulder bag, half shaved head with side braid, cut off shorts, spotty beard and a guitar with pedals?...naw that person is probably noise...probably not good noise but its noise. :D
place holder
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: What Noise Is Not.

Post by RUBBISH »

Mtv was never noise even when they had 120 minutes on.

Just because something is on a tape label and has electronic based sounds does not make it Noise.
Sorry I don't want to hear a sad mediocre interpretation of Kraftwerk done with a computer program...yeah yeah I like kraftwerk too but ah...you want this tape to waste 30min of your time its yours
..I thought it would get more interesting but nope it got more dull as it went on...like the super.mario sound track but unlistenable.
NOT NOISE

Just because the label released some Noise does NOT make everything else on that label Noise.
place holder
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

If you think of 'Noise' xe2x80x93 the genre which begins roughly in the 90s in Japan and the USA... which was sufficiently different to distinguish it from previous genres such as Power Electronics and Industrial then its maybe useful to relate it to any other genre. In that its appearance though derived from what went before is sufficiently different to designate a new term. However over time this difference becomes no longer a novel difference, partly because it's (particular) novelty disappears and or is replaced by something else which is 'novel'. As such it then becomes a xe2x80x9cstylexe2x80x9d. As a style it is different to its origin. The same can be said of Punk, Industrial, and PE. When punk first appeared in the 70s it was new, and as such shocking, not untypically being seen as a reaction to what went before in the niche I'll call the popular avant-garde. Punk is now a style. What differentiates a style from its origin, is at its origin there is no style, that is the genre is 'invented', no stylistic tropes are already available, and necessary to copy / use to fit that label. (As a style the process is the opposite of the origin, in the origin X is called xe2x80x9cPunkxe2x80x9d, X came first, in a style the term Punk's already associated and given methods are used in order to achieve the label 'Punk') The xe2x80x9cXxe2x80x9d which became named as 'Punk' being the aggressive un-tunefull lyrics, simple chords and playing style of punk (and its imagery and fashion). Though having precursors in earlier rock music Punks features were sufficiently different to what had become the music of prog rock and the lyricism of pop rock, shallowness of glam rock.... etc. to be seen as something both new and different, and given that name. Today in order to do punk, one has to adopt that original style in doing so 'difference', 'inventiveness', creativity are not present, if they were, the result would not be punk.

The same then goes for other genres, from Industrial, to prog rock to even stuff like impressionist paintings, impressionism is no longer a new and revolutionary art movement, but people still produce 'impressionist' paintings by employing what was once an original method as now a set of conventions which denotes that 'style'.

That is, in the beginning of any genre there is the creation of new methods which is then given some term. The deriving of these 'new' methods across a group often sits uncomfortably with a simple 'term' which is where problems arise. Because there originally never was a thing called 'Punk rock' or 'impressionism', for that matter, as a pre given 'thing'.

So is 'Noise', 'Noise Music' now (just) a style?

Maybe first think about the term 'Modernism' derived obviously from 'Modern', which defined as xe2x80x9cpresent-day xc2xb7 contemporary xc2xb7 present-time xc2xb7 present xc2xb7 currentxe2x80x9d though xe2x80x9cModernism is both a philosophical movement and an art movement that, along with cultural trends and changes, arose from wide-scale and far-reaching transformations in Western society during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.xe2x80x9d

Modernism as xe2x80x9cAn Eventxe2x80x9d is over, though it is still a ''stylexe2x80x9d.

Sorry about the length, and please take each sentence as beginning with IMO. (or IMVHO or WTFDIK)
"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Before anyone tries defining Punk read this.
(Also read jliats post above )

The etymology of punk
https://medium.com/@JPRobinson/the-rott ... db2fcc16f8

Noise is punk.
Punk Rock is NOT Noise.

Notice the spelling of noise....noize..duh.
Unless you're a rapper from the last century or limp bizkit please don't use a Z when you spell noise...its stupid.

I actually like this song...its obnoxious...but that fucking Z bothers me...
place holder
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

To be clear...
This is about Noise aka what we do/our hobby not noise as in huey Lewis and the News or the trash truck at 5 a.m. that admittedly if combined properly and released as a limited C10 would be some great Noise...but yeah not little noise but superior Noise.
Noise Maximus
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

image.png
Viewed 1908 times
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

i would say that while you raise a valid point about noise not being new anymore, to say "modernism is just a style now" wrongly lumps together maybe even hundreds of modernist art movements
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Social_Drift wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:02 am i would say that while you raise a valid point about noise not being new anymore, to say "modernism is just a style now" wrongly lumps together maybe even hundreds of modernist art movements
Not really because i'm saying modernism as was, was a method / set of ideas/ philosophy which as the wiki quote states had general common features. You cant do that now, only use it as a style.

"The word xe2x80x9cmodernxe2x80x9d is one of the most misused phrases in decorating. Often confused with contemporary style, todayxe2x80x99s modern style is based on a design movement that was birthed around the turn of the 20th century. Modern style furnishings and decor celebrate natural materials, neutral or earthy colors, and the elimination of unnecessary detailing. While you may see a range of colors in contemporary styling, modern styles would have monochromatic colors."

One could produce a similar guide to 'modernist style' painting, poetry, film etc. In the latter split screen, use of pop music... etc.
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

RUBBISH wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:06 am Before anyone tries defining Punk read this.
(Also read jliats post above )

The etymology of punk
https://medium.com/@JPRobinson/the-rott ... db2fcc16f8

Noise is punk.
Punk Rock is NOT Noise.

Notice the spelling of noise....noize..duh.

I actually like this song...its obnoxious...but that fucking Z bothers me...
Back in the 70s it was the use of K as in Magik. :shakefist:

The punk etymology - very good... words! eh!
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

JLIAT wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:23 am
Social_Drift wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:02 am i would say that while you raise a valid point about noise not being new anymore, to say "modernism is just a style now" wrongly lumps together maybe even hundreds of modernist art movements
Not really because i'm saying modernism as was, was a method / set of ideas/ philosophy which as the wiki quote states had general common features. You cant do that now, only use it as a style.
ok so modernism with a very specific ideological definition is now just regurgitated modernism.

oh well.