Getting Old

Moderator: Modulators

PortiaPorcupineFan
Noise Person

Getting Old

Post by PortiaPorcupineFan »

I think I am starting to get fatigued by loud noise in some ways.

I have been planning on recording some Noise lately. (As a pic in another section of the forum showed.)

But, I have delayed that since I had some inspiration for another branch of my fanfiction writing. Yes, I am still doing that. Although, the Get Along Gang fanfic that I have been doing...that series, in particular, is now being wrapped up for good.

This has led to another series. Some focused on original characters and some on characters from the Gang. It's a series of "flashback" stories. Looking at them in their younger days. I.E. childhood and pre-teen years.

As I was in the middle of writing a second story in what will be a trilogy centered around the always adorable, Erica Porcupine, I decided to take a break and finally record this Noise stuff. Everything was wired up days ago. All I had to do was plug in the mics, turn the recording gear on, turn on the amp and go.

But, the sounds coming from my 90 watt Behringer keyboard amp are just too damn loud to me now.

I shut the stuff off and said "fuck it." But, another idea occurred to me: Use the pair of 12-watt Oranges. After all, I did stuff like this (back when I used a pair of low-watt Randalls) and things were fine. So, maybe going with a stereo lower wattage set-up is the way to go again.

I have no idea what I am going to do with the Behringer right now. But, this other idea may work out in the end. If not, there's always selling things off to fall back on.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Re: Getting Old

Post by Indeterminacy »

PortiaPorcupineFan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:27 pm the sounds coming from my 90 watt Behringer keyboard amp are just too damn loud to me now.
Um, not to put to fine a point on it, turn it down.

As an aside, do you suffer from tinnitus?
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

I can't hear over a certain frequency range according to one of those online internet age tests but I think I still scored below my actual age group.

But I've always preferred loud low frequencies which I think is more pleasing to the body than high frequencies which are painful to the ear

Otherwise I haven't had to haul all my gear and a PA out to play in over a year and I imagine the longer I go without doing that the less likely I will be to do it again.

Mostly focused on building permanent studio where I can jam whenever I like. I am going to have studio monitors but they aren't too loud. I thought about having the PA setup in there but it takes up too much space and its still too crowded as is.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

There is a study I can't be bothered to look up..cause I'm old...that said people over 40 stop listening to music and new music in particular.

I do find it hard to motivate creatively and bones hurt...
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:12 am There is a study I can't be bothered to look up..cause I'm old...that said people over 40 stop listening to music and new music in particular.
I'm open to new music but I was never terribly interested in top 40 music so why would I be now? But I believe that the reason why you gravitate towards music from your youth is that it's connected to good memories or maybe even bad memories but you literally have a chemical relation to it in your brain. Newer music that sounds similar to that music might also be appealing. New music that you have no connection to isn't going to stick unless it gets associated with new memories.
PortiaPorcupineFan
Noise Person

Indeterminacy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:55 am
PortiaPorcupineFan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:27 pm the sounds coming from my 90 watt Behringer keyboard amp are just too damn loud to me now.
Um, not to put too fine a point on it, turn it down.

As an aside, do you suffer from tinnitus?
Fortunately, I do not.

Well, the thing is that I live in a one-bedroom apartment. So, it's not like I am in some massive room. (My gear is in my bedroom.)

The amp is only on around "2". Any lower than that and the sound sucks.

I went ahead and sold the amp over the weekend. I haven't tested out the stereo 12-watts for what I am planning on recording yet. But, I will get to it, eventually.
PortiaPorcupineFan
Noise Person

RUBBISH wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:12 am There is a study I can't be bothered to look up..cause I'm old...that said people over 40 stop listening to music and new music in particular.

I do find it hard to motivate creatively and bones hurt...
Oh, I couldn't live without music. So, it's certainly not that. Sure, I enjoy watching certain vlogs and train live streams on Youtube, not to mention the cartoons and my Law & Order franchise obsession. But, music is something I will always enjoy. When it comes to discovering "new" music, some of it is just old stuff that I never heard before. Others are actual new artists that I hear on various stations as I browse through things like IHeartRadio.
Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Post by Fire of the Mind »

I have moderate tinnitus, probably because my genes are fuckedxe2x80xa6 but for some reason I'm generally absolutely fine with listening to horrid microphone feedback like Prurient's "Roman Shower" or stuff by Hentaitenno or Star while I find listening to "normal music" with bad mastering physically painful at times. Then again, I don't like listening to things at very high volumes in the first place.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

Fire of the Mind wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:11 am high volumes
pete.jpg
Viewed 1506 times
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Post by Fire of the Mind »

I should have clarified: In headphones. After a certain point you just start to lose nuance. A stereo or live setup is an entirely different question.