Moderator: Modulators

The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Re: Getting Old

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

Fire of the Mind wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:05 pm
RUBBISH wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:41 am
FAP wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am

Man, I'm not even 30 yet and I still can't get through Roman Shower. That track's a bona fide endurance test.

Somewhat related: I've definitely been less interested in noise overall from a listener's perspective. Most of what I listen to now is jazz, psych, world, folk singing, indie, garage rock... all tastes molded from years of music discovery. I listen to new [to me] music nearly every day and maybe like 10% of it is noise.

Jello biafra of the dead Kennedy's said if you wanna make good punk music listen to (I'm paraphrasing can't recall the bands he mentioned)...38 special BTO Madonna Prince or some similar very non punk music.

I don't listen to noise unless I know the person or its nostalgia or someone sends me something new noise wise. I don't seek out noise. I make noise.

But yes listen to more music to make better noise.
Yeah, absolutely. A lot of how I approach what I do is actually heavily informed by discussions and analyses of techniques in jazz, pop music, and even hip-hop, which are *way* far afield of my own work, but the way that rhythm, musical phrasing, sonic architecture, performance and the like are approached can be really informative and inspire all sorts of new approaches. For example: Apply the use of odd, off-kilter polyrhythms to create a "drunk" groove with a specific contour in soul and fusion drumming and apply that to how you cut a loop or set up a delay relative to other pulses and repetitions and all sorts of new avenues open up. Also, just, the soundplay in great music just as in great noise keeps the spark of a love for sound itself alive in you, I think. The recognition that music and noise are, in fact, a kind of magic. (Corny, maybe, but also something I entirely believe to be true.)
A lot of my biggest noise inspirations to this day are non-Noise acts. Eyehategod's particular brand of twin guitar feedback remains the gold standard for me, I'm constantly trying to approach that kind of layered midrange wail. Metal in general is a huge part of my noise style, mostly Sludge, Black, and Drone. Plus I learned guitar preparation from reading about Sonic Youth, though I was rather disappointed when I actually heard their fairly tight and melodic music (they're good for a rock band, no doubt, but not a noise band). Nirvana's end of set destruction jams remain one of my favorite noise/free improv sources. Even though they were just wrecking shit, there's got tons of dynamics and movement and great feedback. Ambient and Drone music are Noise-adjacent but also provide me lots of inspiration, particularly combined with rock instrumentation. Plus my currently recording project is inspired by Ornette Coleman's double quartet and Free Jazz/Free Improv in general, just replacing the musicians with pedals and the stage with a matrix mixer.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Ornette Coleman
Christ almighty... talk about xe2x80x9cchallengingxe2x80x9d music. That guyxe2x80x99s compositions give me schizophrenia scares.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

FAP wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:24 pm
Ornette Coleman
Christ almighty... talk about xe2x80x9cchallengingxe2x80x9d music. That guyxe2x80x99s compositions give me schizophrenia scares.
Anthony Braxton would like a word.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Post by Fire of the Mind »

I recall my ex once observing that, when you peel back the wild improvisatory style, Coleman's compositions actually have really strong melodic through-lines. Not to say that his work cannot be challenging and deeply eerie, but among the giants in the field, I do find Braxtonxe2x80x94who comes more out of the post-Romantic classical tradition, by his own reckoningxe2x80x94and Peter Brxc3xb6tzmann a fair bit more daunting, not to mention some of Albert Ayler's playing, which despite being even more overtly rooted in pre-bop idioms is *really* hair-raising and out in places. Ultimately, though, it's not a contest, it's just about what strikes a chord or a nerve inside you, and Ornette can definitely do that.

My first real introduction to free jazz was Coltrane's Ascension, incidentally, followed by Brxc3xb6tzmann's incendiary Fuck De Boere.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

NoiseWiki wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:49 am I can't hear over a certain frequency range according to one of those online internet age tests but I think I still scored below my actual age group.

But I've always preferred loud low frequencies which I think is more pleasing to the body than high frequencies which are painful to the ear

Otherwise I haven't had to haul all my gear and a PA out to play in over a year and I imagine the longer I go without doing that the less likely I will be to do it again.

Mostly focused on building permanent studio where I can jam whenever I like. I am going to have studio monitors but they aren't too loud. I thought about having the PA setup in there but it takes up too much space and its still too crowded as is.
i am basically deaf in my right ear now. all i can hear is rushing sounds. it's probably wax, but i've left it for a few years because i don't see the point.

so not "old", just fatigued.
melko
Noiser

Post by melko »

random thought of the day re getting old

as you get older there are more and more people around who are at the same time younger than you and more competent than you

"wow, this person is 10 years older than me and 10 times better than me at XYZ"... this is probably the biggest part of feeling old for me rn

note to self: do something nobody else ever does & never feel old again ;)
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

Wonder how I will feel after the first time I go to a loud club or gig once pandemic restrictions are finally lifted.

One of the last gigs I went to was December 2019 to see Melt Banana - which was VERY loud there was smoke coming from the speaker cabinets :bounce:
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Soloman Tump wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:28 am Wonder how I will feel after the first time I go to a loud club or gig once pandemic restrictions are finally lifted.

One of the last gigs I went to was December 2019 to see Melt Banana - which was VERY loud there was smoke coming from the speaker cabinets :bounce:

Going to a show next week.
First show at the venue since covid.
Its gonna be loud crowded(maybe...probably) late(bet it aint over til 3 am or some shit) hot and I'll be one of a very few 'old' people there.
It should be fun
place holder
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

RUBBISH wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:25 am
Soloman Tump wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:28 am Wonder how I will feel after the first time I go to a loud club or gig once pandemic restrictions are finally lifted.

Going to a show next week.
First show at the venue since covid.
Its gonna be loud crowded(maybe...probably) late(bet it aint over til 3 am or some shit) hot and I'll be one of a very few 'old' people there.
It should be fun
Have a great time!
Restrictions have been extended here in the UK until 19th July, BUT I do have a ticket for a festival 2nd weekend of August which I hope is on because I intend to cram in 4 days and nights of music / partying / excess to make up for the last 18 months. HUZZAH
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek: