Art Is Useless

Moderator: Modulators

banned
Merzfinity

Re: Art Is Useless

Post by banned »

there are talented and creative artists out there. the problem is that art is dead. I remember my high school teacher trying to explain this to me, and how upsetting it is.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

I guess you have to take the opinion that if art came back we don't know what it would look like, like communism, may not even recognise it idk. a few years ago, I decided that poetry had or was about to die also. maybe it's enough for people to still get excited about it even when it doesn't sell.

afaict, poetry was actually fairly instrumental in modern art. all those futurist manifestos?

probably all that matters is that, when the next genius, shakepeare or marinetti or Picasso, if they xist, is working, they are not cut off from the tradition and just pickling sharks.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Indeterminacy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:33 am Lack of basic skills and not being taught.
My wife worked with young people that didn't work with oil paints in art school.
And they were painting majors. The oil was the problem due to lack of proper
ventilation.

Something like this:
You don't need to use oils to be a painter but when I was a student there were still issues with inhaling fumes from turpentine. I used to hate going to the painting floor because it was impossible to not accidentally get some oil paint on your clothes even just walking down the hall

My dad taught painting for several decades (he uses acrylics ) anyway he did make the observation that students in the last decade didn't see the point in rendering am image if they could just copy it.

It is a skull to do good representational art but unless you want to risk doing portraits for a living or illustrations of Darnold Drumpf hugging flags it's gonna be hard to make a living in get famous.. its been done.. doing representational work is not ground breaking and hasn't been for a long time. Although I feel there's value in learning how and practicing it that in itself ain't gonna make one rich or famous. The upside though is that it benefits people with a natural talent for painting realism that fewer people are interested in doing it. As far as I know one of the few people I went to school with does that kind of work full-time

Then there's computer art.. I used to see people on cg forums lamenting how CG art wasn't respected by the art world and its like yea well photreal renderings if big titty women riding dragons racing Ferraris isn't uh of interest.. but then some guy makes a couple hundred memes with cg and stock models and sells it as an NFT for a record breaking amount of money so what do I know
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

drift wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:43 pm there are talented and creative artists out there. the problem is that art is dead. I remember my high school teacher trying to explain this to me, and how upsetting it is.
Arts not dead but don't expect to get rich and famous doing anything anybody else has gotten rich and famous for

I do however still think poetry is fucking stupid imo
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

NoiseWiki wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:45 pm
drift wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:43 pm there are talented and creative artists out there. the problem is that art is dead. I remember my high school teacher trying to explain this to me, and how upsetting it is.
Arts not dead but don't expect to get rich and famous doing anything anybody else has gotten rich and famous for

I do however still think poetry is fucking stupid imo
yeah poetry is pretty stupid. I don't think it's as trivial as you do, but it's fringe rather than niche. peripheral.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

FWIW, I don't think novelty and narcissism are good barometers for success in the arts. YMMV, but I think it should be a response to crises, especially in the artform. why e.g. cubism happened - I forget off the top of my head - is more important than it being an unique approach to painting. isn't that meant to be part of the issue with abstract expressionism, that it was boring institutionalised art, and the reason for conceptual art?

you haver to ask new questions to have a genuinely new strategy, and to do that at least be alert to concepts enough to ask what is valuable about art.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

I mean what do I know (very little).

but I'd be more concerned that what your doing is out of date than that other people have done it.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

idk. probably it's all stupid and irrelevant nonsense. call it "noise" haha
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

drift wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:49 pm I mean what do I know (very little).

but I'd be more concerned that what your doing is out of date than that other people have done it.
If something is out of date that pretty much implies it has been done before

I mean by this point in time it's pretty hard to invent techniques that have never been done before which leaves using known techniques with contemporary context like doing Renaissance portraits of star wars characters or hopefully something less obvious than that but you get what I mean hopefully
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

NoiseWiki wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:07 am
drift wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:49 pm I mean what do I know (very little).

If something is out of date that pretty much implies it has been done before
that's true :thinking:
I mean by this point in time it's pretty hard to invent techniques that have never been done before which leaves using known techniques with contemporary context like doing Renaissance portraits of star wars characters or hopefully something less obvious than that but you get what I mean hopefully
depends what you mean by techniques. if you want to be hyper conservative about it, modernism wasn't THAT innovative. Whitman was already writing free verse. sound poetry has been invented a few times... collage / fragmentation. but it was DOING something new. your goal is important, I guess is all I mean. so the cantos and the waste land both use fragmentation but the latter is I think meant to be much more symbolist and less avant garde.

idk