HNW question

No ideas, no changes, no development, no entertainment, and no remorse

Moderator: Modulators

JLIAT
Merzwow

Re: HNW question

Post by JLIAT »

cultofthesunmachine wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 am
JLIAT wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:33 am What I find hard to follow is the HNW guys who would rather it be considered as a very minor sub genre of no consequence other than pleasure for a few, rather than a fundamental critique of any art dependant on sound, i.e. a fundamentally revolutionary move.
its an emotional communication, not political,
For some - for others its "No ideas, no changes, no development, no entertainment, and no remorse " which rules out communication.
cultofthesunmachine wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 am your pragmatic assessment of the material is fine for philosophers, but the average listener doesnt care about that,
I cant speak for philosophers or the average listener. And its fine if they don't care what the artists intended, though they may be missing something?
cultofthesunmachine wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 am
read what 3/4dead and fap wrote, its an emotional experience brought on by the wall of sound, i suspect most HNW enthusiasts do it for the rush, not the statement
Great. I've no argument with their emotional response.
"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

its a radical critique of sound in / as art - music
what's unclear on is why you think hnw is that radical.

not 'noise' itself, but vomir -- etc.. why hnw can stand outside normal artistic categories like conceptual art, postmodernism and modernism. no offense to the artists in question, but it seems like hyperbole.

are you claiming that 'meaningless' and 'music' have -- with contemporary noise -- found their conceptual limit -- and this gets to the essence of those aesthetic phenomena. i'm skeptical [again] that it's a genuine development of 'noise', genuinely artistically relevant, rather than a means to draw attention to -- or recuperate / commodify / dumb down -- existing tendencies.

noise has been around for forty years: the fact someone ties that into conceptual art doesn't interest me.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Jilat...no need to say you're joking.

We are I assume together here for mutual appreciation(add punctuation as needed)

I was joking with the stable genius thing.
I'm a joker. I'm a japist I do japery.

I do have the altered cover to my fair lady that you sent me years ago...the 1956 edition...can't find the record though.
I have someone looking for one. You'll get that this year!

Anyhow...carry on with this harsh wall of conversation.
place holder
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:22 am the problem i have with hnw is that people take the limiting case -- vomir -- to be its essence. i guess you could say i use walls to describe things -- not my emotional state, things, like homosexuality or communism. in some sense then they consist of ideas, though i would not say i "communiate" or "convey" these ideas, only that they form the basis of what i create. the listener, who listens to the wall, is faced with the sound i decided on, not the ideas. it is a language, but a made up one that no-one else is expected to understand, at least without artwork or a blurb to match the sound up to.
Again fine, but misses the point of any minimal art.
The term xe2x80x9cMinimalismxe2x80x9d was coined by the art writer, Richard Wollheim*, Minimalism rejected the concept of the artist as an actor, as a specific personality with a signature touch. Minimalism was a rejection of Modernist aesthetics, stripping the object of any points of reference or meaning or physical attractiveness.
Now see how well the above describes HNW!

*Coined as a derogatory term in that its so lacking in stuff, unable to describe other stuff...
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

you're terminally uclear -- but i think you are saying my work is, or overlaps with, minimalism? whatever, noise as a tendency has existed long before hnw *shurg*
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

typical. refer means describe, like doesn't mean value. you need to make more of an effort to join up the sentences other people send to you...

it's almost like jliat is a mean performance artwork... anyone who agrees with him is confused, anyone who doesn't -- that's ok but he's different. ughh; late capitalism.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

wish i could edit my posts
1. give a detailed account in words of.
2. mark out or draw (a geometrical figure).
i don't really mean "write down" except figuratively, because, like i already said, what i draw [into the work] is in a language no-one else knows. if you want to say that walls have geometry to them...?
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:01 am you're terminally uclear -- but i think you are saying my work is, or overlaps with, minimalism? whatever, noise as a tendency has existed long before hnw *shurg*
Please don't start on at me, the thread will get locked. No i'm not saying your HNW overlaps with minimalism,

if you think your work is described so

"The term xe2x80x9cMinimalismxe2x80x9d was coined by the art writer, Richard Wollheim*, Minimalism rejected the concept of the artist as an actor, as a specific personality with a signature touch. Minimalism was a rejection of Modernist aesthetics, stripping the object of any points of reference or meaning or physical attractiveness."

Its minimal. If not, its not, merely appears minimal.
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:07 am typical. refer means describe, like doesn't mean value. you need to make more of an effort to join up the sentences other people send to you...

it's almost like jliat is a mean performance artwork... anyone who agrees with him is confused, anyone who doesn't -- that's ok but he's different. ughh; late capitalism.
Time for Adrian to close you and this thread down I guess. Pity.

BTW I didn't write this "The term xe2x80x9cMinimalismxe2x80x9d was coined by the art writer, Richard Wollheim*, Minimalism rejected the concept of the artist as an actor, as a specific personality with a signature touch. Minimalism was a rejection of Modernist aesthetics, stripping the object of any points of reference or meaning or physical attractiveness."
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

Please don't start on at me
same to you.

so why do you think that my hnw does not overlap with minimalism? it seems to be because you can only read unambiguous sentences :lol: :lol:

oh mighty critic, show your workings.