HNW question

No ideas, no changes, no development, no entertainment, and no remorse

Moderator: Modulators

banned
Merzfinity

Re: HNW question

Post by banned »

xe2x80x9cEverything Is Purged from This Painting But Art, No Ideas Have Entered This Work,xe2x80x9d
if it's conceptual art then what makes it more interesting that Baldessari?
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

Soloman Tump wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:16 am

Looks like I opened a can of harsh noise worms here!

Sure!

What I find hard to follow is the HNW guys who would rather it be considered as a very minor sub genre of no consequence other than pleasure for a few, rather than a fundamental critique of any art dependant on sound, i.e. a fundamentally revolutionary move.

That given the notion of Duchamp's Urinal they set about making an art based on sanitary products.
"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

JLIAT wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:46 am Jilata

Whatever words and however many you want to use but sure...sublime...satisfaction...contentment.
Yes I can today 35 years on listen to Springsteens born in the USA and get his concept for it and musically its ok for what it is...time and place...
I did enjoy hating it.

Who cares what whoever wrote as a descriptiontion.
Thats not gospel or law.
Obviously you're a smart person with the best words..a stable genius even
(like Mr ed?)

So either you're taking a piss being purposely obtuse or you genuinely don't get it.
if its the last I apologize and do continue
But...ah...pretty pretty pretty sure this discussion is masturbation.
(Hey I like jerking off no shame just the facts[yeah yeah this opens another rabbit hole do not go down it! also please do not take any other possible openings I may have made and run with them...yes I am masterbaiting with this post])

And that leads us to our answer...
HNW is masterbation.
Done
place holder
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

This reminds me of an art debate on troniks that culminated in Nicola sending me a picture of him defecating on a plate.
RUBBISH wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:26 am HNW is masterbation.
Then it can be agreed upon that in many circumstances the more time you invest in the build the better the payoff tends to be.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
cultofthesunmachine
Troll

Post by cultofthesunmachine »

JLIAT wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:33 am What I find hard to follow is the HNW guys who would rather it be considered as a very minor sub genre of no consequence other than pleasure for a few, rather than a fundamental critique of any art dependant on sound, i.e. a fundamentally revolutionary move.
its an emotional communication, not political, your pragmatic assessment of the material is fine for philosophers, but the average listener doesnt care about that, read what 3/4dead and fap wrote, its an emotional experience brought on by the wall of sound, i suspect most HNW enthusiasts do it for the rush, not the statement
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

crochambeau wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:40 am
RUBBISH wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:26 am HNW is masterbation.
Then it can be agreed upon that in many circumstances the more time you invest in the build the better the payoff tends to be.
The more QUALITY time but yeah investment thought contemplation on something should lead to at least an understanding or better yet and also enjoyment and appreciation.

I think Jilat touched on this idea in his replies but its hard to figure ;)

Just time will lead to chaffing and may not be as pleasurable ...unless you are into chaffing and scabs on your unit(not judging at all)
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

who else has worked with both conceptual art and noise?

the wire reviews a few things that way

https://www.discogs.com/Various-WrK-Com ... ase/839463
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:12 am who else has worked with both conceptual art and noise?
My concepts aren't always solid or apparent but have you seen any of my live shows..not sets.
I did do sets when I toured with xdugef but even then it was just using the same gear set up and not attempting to do the same thing each run through..each show was different but similar.

You do know that what I do at home is not so.much like what I do live(if you watch the live videos...playlist on my YT accounts)

Remember XDGEFS nipple dick period?
That's conceptual art.
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

the problem i have with hnw is that people take the limiting case -- vomir -- to be its essence. i guess you could say i use walls to describe things -- not my emotional state, things, like homosexuality or communism. in some sense then they consist of ideas, though i would not say i "communiate" or "convey" these ideas, only that they form the basis of what i create. the listener, who listens to the wall, is faced with the sound i decided on, not the ideas. it is a language, but a made up one that no-one else is expected to understand, at least without artwork or a blurb to match the sound up to.

OK rubbish, that makes sense. i don't take conceptual art seriously enough to consider my work conceptual.
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

RUBBISH wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:26 am
JLIAT wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:46 am Jilata

Whatever words and however many you want to use but sure...sublime...satisfaction...contentment.
Yes I can today 35 years on listen to Springsteens born in the USA and get his concept for it and musically its ok for what it is...time and place...
I did enjoy hating it.
I've no idea what the point is here xe2x80x93 sorry. Some words have different meanings to others, sublime...satisfaction...contentment. - sublime is very different to the others as is awe. Some stimulus satisfies or not, the sublime overwhelms the self.
RUBBISH wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:26 am Who cares what whoever wrote as a descriptiontion.
Thats not gospel or law.
Obviously you're a smart person with the best words..a stable genius even
(like Mr ed?)
So you are comparing me with a talking horse? I dont think we are going to communicate much here.
RUBBISH wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:26 am
So either you're taking a piss being purposely obtuse or you genuinely don't get it.
if its the last I apologize and do continue
What I get is some like HNW, get thrills etc from it, which is OK. Like being on a big dipper etc.
My point however is that they are not wrong in this, just that there is another approach to HNW, where thrills are irrelevant.
RUBBISH wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:26 am But...ah...pretty pretty pretty sure this discussion is masturbation.
(Hey I like jerking off no shame just the facts[yeah yeah this opens another rabbit hole do not go down it! also please do not take any other possible openings I may have made and run with them...yes I am masterbaiting with this post])
Well sure I can see your fear of holes given your masturbation thing = thats a joke btw. But going down the rabbit hole is just what Mr Vomir has done. Into a strange new world
.... of xe2x80x9cNo ideas, no changes, no development, no entertainment, and no remorse xe2x80x9c
RUBBISH wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:26 am And that leads us to our answer...
HNW is masterbation.
Done
Maybe your answer and others but not mine + others. Agree to differ.

For you HNW is masturbation, for me its a radical critique of sound in / as art - music, with may be very upsetting consequences.
"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."