Power Electronics Tips xe2x86xa9

Tutorials, tools, techniques, methodologies......

Moderator: Modulators

The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Re: Power Electronics Tips xe2x86xa9

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

Fire of the Mind wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:33 pm To take a page out of very early Sonic Youth and The Dead C, strange tunings (strange intervals and open chords, microtonal near-unisons, tension dropped just short of slack on heavy gauges) and extended techniques (objects beneath the strings, striking/scraping/bowing with non-pick objects) plus letting the amp feed back at sufficient volumes can do a lot of heavy lifting where pedals alone will not.
All very true. Got my guitar in Ostrich C currently, so it's all sorts of fucked up. High volume feedback, unfortunately, remains limited by recording space. Preparations and bowing are also engaged with, I've been meaning to try a metal spoon, I struggle to find really resonant objects laying around.
Fire of the Mind wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:33 pm Add in whammy bar abuse on top of that looping setup and you can create some thoroughly hellacious sounds.
Unfortunately enough, I don't actually have one. The MBV swoon was done with the granular processor's LFO set to slowly modulate from slightly below pitch to pitch.
Fire of the Mind wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:33 pm Also, distortion alone won't do it if you want to maximise ugliness; ring modulators, reverb with reverse attack functions (which you already have down, apparently also being aware of the MBV "swooning" portamento technique), and delays with lots of odd parameters are similarly useful, not to mention primitive modulation effects (cheap chorus/flangers/phasers) which can be cranked to completely unreasonable settings and really ghoulish pitch-shifter/fuzz-octave pedals.
All good stuff to play with. Reverse Verb and Ring Mod are both phenomenal, and I'm sure the MS-70 has plenty of choices in weird delays that I haven't dug into yet. No octave fuzz, though. I have an EHX octave and fuzzes, but not a fuzz with integrated octave.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

It is done.

So, it's fairly roughshod at this stage. I did the noise and vocals at the same time through my mixer, which seemed like a clever idea were it not for how difficult it is to judge the volume of your own voice through an external source. Between the low mix on the recorded track, the echo, filter, and overdrive on the mic, the cheapness of said mic to begin with (a radioshack microcassette recorder mic with two adapters stacked on it to get it into my shitty Zoom bass multi-effect), and the low mixing of the track itself with the drone and bass layer, it's all but impossible to understand or even really hear the words. I also bungled my chain, putting the MS-70CDR at the front for reverb into the dirt when I had planned to set off a deep slow flanger near the end, which ended up being completely inaudible by the time it hit the Death Metal. I did learn how to use Automation in my DAW, so that at least is a bonus. If I do a proper EP with this project, this track will likely be entirely rerecorded.

As a bonus, here's the guitar rig I used to complete this:
20210119_151246[1].jpg
And the vocal rig (patch is cocked wah/"pedal vox" around 5 + low gain ODB-3 50% wet/dry + Ensemble w/ max rate and level + short delay):
20210119_151234[1].jpg
And the objects I used for guitar mangling (the electric toothbrush is a real winner, both using it to agitate strings/preparations and using the motor to create interference):
20210119_151300[1].jpg
The guitar itself, rigged up with some tool I don't know the name of and a giant-ass screw twisted through the lowest two strings. The mysterious tool ended up being quite useful for making bass rumbles, while the screw was useful because it transferred vibrations straight through the strings like a contact mic I could scrape and scratch:
20210119_174026[1].jpg
Guitar was tuned (low to high) CAAEDD.

Thoughts?
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
iNtox-Z
Noise Artist

Post by iNtox-Z »

Hello, any one knows how can i make so clean voice distortion like on this track ?
Pharmakon - Mound of Flesh, Cavern of Fluids

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

iNtox-Z wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:21 am Hello, any one knows how can i make so clean voice distortion like on this track ?

Gain.. Box O Metal would do or some equivalent.

The real trick is achieving that in a live situation without feedback. The Box Of Metal has a threshold setting which helps by shutting down the signal when it falls below a certain threshold which is usually when feedback occurs.
FLORIDA MAN
Noise Artist

Post by FLORIDA MAN »

[quote="The Mysterious Creep" post_id=9996 time=1611103470 user_id=102]

I had that same guitar
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

FLORIDA MAN wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:14 am
The Mysterious Creep wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:44 pm
I had that same guitar
Apparently it must be common (probably because it's like $180), I've had another noiser say the same on a video I posted a while back.
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

iNtox-Z wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:21 am Hello, any one knows how can i make so clean voice distortion like on this track ?

Gain is good, like was suggested by Noisewiki, but I think a bandpass filter of some kind (fixed, not modulating) could also help with that loudspeaker-ish sound. A light overdrive coupled with a filter is what I used for my vocal patch, and it sounds way grimier than the 75% wet/dry, low gain distortion would do on its own. The filtering will make the gain way more impactful. Gating is definitely important, you'll want that. That's why multi-effects are so good for doing vocals (see Atrax Morgue), they have everything in 'em.