How did you end up making/listening to noise?

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: How did you end up making/listening to noise?

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:07 pm
NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:07 pm
RUBBISH wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:11 pm

Underpants equals underwear.

When I first got into noise I remember hearing about a caroliner rainbow l.p. packed in a pair of white mens underwear or Y fronts in the UK....maybe they were painted underpants...its on discogs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_ ... ted_States domo

If I were someone that lived in the UK I'd have a noise band called the
Y FRONT YOBOS

Y-fronts
men's briefs with an inverted-Y-shaped frontal flap; originally a trademark (US: briefs or jockey shorts / jockeys; US slang: tighty-whiteys)
yob, yobbo
lout, young troublemaker (origin: boy spelt backwards)[56]
I like Y adapters
Rubby
Noiser

Post by Rubby »

This thread rules. I'll post the most conventional answer that I'm surprised I have not seen yet:
I grew up into metal, punk, hardcore and rap. Played bass guitar. In the 90's, Relapse Records thought they could make millions selling merzbow albums to chuds like me. They were right. Loved it instantly, didn't really get there from early industrial or avant garde music. That happened in reverse, to the point where I eventually took up double bass and playing improvisation. I think its funny/awesome that so many of you were drawn to noise as kids before you knew it existed. Think today I'll force my kids to listen to nothing but the windshield wipers and then ask their opinion.
UnderstandDavid
Noise Person

Post by UnderstandDavid »

When I was a baby, the sound of a blowtorch used to lull me to sleep. Hoovers, cars and anything else noisy were things I found soothing, and the love for all things intrusive, musically unwanted and otherwise objectionable has remained throughout my life.

I remember making tapes for myself when I was about 4 or 5 by using the pause button on a two-tape deck; snatching snippets of sound and chopping together disjointed, weird loops for nothing more than my own enjoyment. Fast forward to high school, and before I even knew that "noise music" was a thing, I had borrowed the music departments old Tascam 4-track.

I didn't have a clue what I was doing when it came to dubbing, mixing or anything like that. I just did stuff like hooked up my tiny amp and recorded loops of feedback; made vocal noises while practicing; played free-form saxophone noise and got as far as learning how to record two tracks, and how to physically cut tapes with a razor blade. I had stolen a load of C46 tapes from school and had, if I recall now, three full tapes of noise stuff that, as far as I knew, was just my own weird little musical project.

It wasn't until I heard Merzbow's "Doors Open 8AM" - which, oddly, was in my local library at the time - that I even realized other people were making noise, and much better than I was! It took me a few years to get a computer to work with as I've been dirt poor my entire life, but eventually I did.

Long story short (too late), I started Spakka in 2006 which morphed into Chav Stabber.
Drfailure
Noise Person

Post by Drfailure »

In high school, I knew this one kid, and they told me they were a musician and sent me a link to their bandcamp (which has since been deleted, but I thankfully still have all their albums downloaded, cause it's good noise). At the time, they were called SICKGRRL, and the page name was "TV in the Attic Tapes", but they later changed the name to DOGCATCHER I think (**EDIT: I found their youtube channel, which has a few noise videos under "DOGCATCHER": https://m.youtube.com/user/srgtnoobkiller/videos**). I went to their debut album, called SICKNESS, and listened to it for about a minute and thought "ok, what the actual fuck is this shit?" Later that year, they told me they were having a show soon and invited me to come, so I went to check it out and support a fellow musician. At this show, they had the noise going, but in the background they had visuals going on too, like a video playing in the background of a bunch of random shit, and pairing that with the noise, I was amazed and mesmerized.

At that point, I decided to look into making noise cause I wanted to make that kind of shit. Took me a little over a year, but in 2018, my mother bought me a really nice mixer, a Rockville RPM109 12 channel mixer, and my dad got me a guitar amp (Fender Mustang I V.2) that allowed me to plug a USB cable into my laptop, so I was able to record in super high quality with Audacity with ease. I then released "Risorgimento" https://doctorfailure.bandcamp.com/album/risorgimento which means "Rebirth" which is essentially what I did with my solo career's genre. Ever since, I've been hooked.

Granted, this past year and a half I simply haven't had inspiration to upload anything, but tonight I uploaded a noise music video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W748aHVv7gQ for the first time in ages, so that was nice. Might be able to finish a couple of album drafts I've been working on for several years.
Attachments
covid molecule.jpg
~~Dr. Failure, probably the worst musician you've listened to :roll:
Wiki: https://www.noisewiki.com/wiki/index.ph ... r._Failure
Bandcamp: http://doctorfailure.bandcamp.com/music
Antirealist
Noise Person

Post by Antirealist »

in beginning of nineties i started to listen to distorted guitar music and soon was very much into grindcore and some death metal when noticed liking the intros/outros of Napalm Death and others. gradual shift occured after discovering that some of my favorite bands have side projects more into industrial like Meathook Seed, Malformed Earthborn, Scorn. also the avantgardists like Nake City, Painkiller. i was following the releases of relapse records, so naturally soon their sublabel's Release Entertainment published Japanese-American Noise Treaty double cd appeared to me. i think this was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. i still listened to grind ~until the new millenium and even had a d.i.y. tape label, mostly grind/metal, but also few experimental/noise tapes.
Paperback
Noiser

Post by Paperback »

A good decade before internet an older friend made me some tapes of TG, Cabaret Voltaire , Neubauten and Chrome. I was a teenager and this stuff blew my mind and I was drawn to it’s sounds and moods.
Anyway that was that for years. I imagined that noise began and ended with those bands.
One day at a comic shop I bought this book :
AC2F1BD8-EFAE-4644-BB0C-6E47A581592A.jpeg
Viewed 885 times
There was a chapter on Japanoise with all the major players. I eventually got an Incapacitants cdr to get a taste. I wasn’t immediately impressed. It sounded more like a riot than anything else!
But that sound stayed in my mind.
I bought some noise compilations because at this time I was online . I loved it. Found the forums and started buying noise like a super fan.
obscura materia
Noise Person

Post by obscura materia »

well i alwasy liked metal. then i got into industrial and i love that and worked on that for a while. and alot of my music veered into noise naturally. so i decided to work with that for a while. seem liek people enjoy my noise albums more. i really like exploring and twisting sounds. i still do industrial and would liek to try my hand at some other genres in the future. i have also started learning how to make videos and messed around with funeral doom metal