How did you end up making/listening to noise?

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

trashload2
Noise Person

Re: How did you end up making/listening to noise?

Post by trashload2 »

I was always into experimental music and really liked a lot of glitch stuff from Oval, Ryoji Ikeda, ect- and also was into metal. Forgot how but one day looking for music I stumbled across old blogs with downloads for a lot of harsh noise. Sewer Election, Treriksrxc3xb6set, The Rita, and Vomir were among the first and still are favorites. So I got a real mixed bag of harsh noise styles to get me going and this was in 2007-2008 most likely. It was like everything I was looking for I didn't know I was looking for, felt amazing to listen to. And because of how disconnected it makes you when you let it take over your mind it's never the same mental experience every time. It's like auditory therapy to me. I also loved how it felt to be at metal concerts when the sound completely overwhelmed you and it turns into at the time what harsh noise is like for me. I don't know anyone else into it and this forum seems to be as active and social as it gets around it especially these days for the state of traditional forums.
pickle
Noise Person

Post by pickle »

my very earliest memory. there was a light, and then someone slapped me. noise ensued.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

pickle wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:41 am my very earliest memory. there was a light, and then someone slapped me. noise ensued.
Video?
place holder
pickle
Noise Person

Post by pickle »

RUBBISH wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:18 am
pickle wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:41 am my very earliest memory. there was a light, and then someone slapped me. noise ensued.
Video?
oh damn, i thought it was never documented for posterity, no pun intended, but here it is-
falc0nhoof
Noise Person

Post by falc0nhoof »

I liked the idea of being a musician without wanting to put any effort into learning how to play. Though, as a kid and before I ever had access to the internet I was always trying to make experimental sounds with tapes and keyboards. At the time I remember thinking how unique this must be :lol:

College time, and internet access led me down several rabbit holes from experimental music to noise and eventually the noise forums. Made a myspace, followed some people (It's still there) and found Bipolar Joe. Was invited to play in his house in Limerick and went from there.

Actually first noise album/record I ever owned was Bosslady :-D
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

falc0nhoof wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:25 pm I liked the idea of being a musician without wanting to put any effort into learning how to play. Though, as a kid and before I ever had access to the internet I was always trying to make experimental sounds with tapes and keyboards. At the time I remember thinking how unique this must be :lol:

College time, and internet access led me down several rabbit holes from experimental music to noise and eventually the noise forums. Made a myspace, followed some people (It's still there) and found Bipolar Joe. Was invited to play in his house in Limerick and went from there.

Actually first noise album/record I ever owned was Bosslady :-D
rockon
zowozon
Noiser

Post by zowozon »

for me, it was an accident.
my first noise album or demo was called "the classic that started it all" it was basically vaporwave/plunderphonics/wall noise
when i made it i had no clue what noise music even was, i was just fucking around having fun. i kept making noise under the name "zowozon" and have a SHIT TON of unreleased stuff from a variety of genres. eventually along the way i discovered power electronics and i remember there were 3 songs that stood out to me the most

ramleh - product of fear

Whitehouse - why you never became a dancer

Anenzephalia - Final Pulse

it just intrigued me so much. i kept wondering "how the fuck did they make this?"
i eventually discovered merzbow and vomir and wold
m
JUBOO120MG
Noise Person

Post by JUBOO120MG »

I was couple months deep into sobriety after the university I'm in run an out of nowhere drug test.. and I tested positive.
Sobriety sucks (lost a lot of friends). I spent a lot of time doing random things.. drawing, making music and getting deep into philosophy.
- Then I found out about surrealism which got me deep into more artsy stuff.
- around the same time I also find out about Danger Music. Hanatarash made me found out about Noise. It was an OK genre but I'm not still deep into it yet.

Fast forward almost a year later, a family member of mine found couple of my drawing. He started trying to decipher what I was trying to express with my drawing right in front of me. It was a forced mental dissection. It was a very scary experience. It felt like someone trying to rip your skin off.. leaving you naked and vulnerable :hit: . From that moment onward I no longer draw. I'm too scared. I can barely make anything expressive anymore doh .
NOISE, something that has no meaning or context seems like the form of expression to me. Nobody will able to understand what I was doing with all of the sonic feedback been going on. I was also deep into Surrealism and Freud at that time.. so Noise make actual sense. Trying to reconstruct something out of nothingness domo , that was my original intention when I started making noise.

The motivation that made me still pursue noise changed after that but in relation to how I endup making Noise that was the reason.
Last edited by JUBOO120MG on Wed May 06, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Post by Fire of the Mind »

I was super into Surrealist art and the earlier, more experimental end of industrial music as a young teenager, and my music theory knowledge at the time was minimal, so I started out just futzing about with manipulating prepackaged loops and found sounds and trying to make truly Surrealist music. This had mixed but surprisingly positive results. At the same time I also joined a band and began to teach myself theory and proper songwriting while also retaining some of my more experimental tendencies, leading to similarly mixed but better than expected results through sheer ambition. After the band kind of drifted apart I began recording songs on my own that merged the more abstract stuff with actual songwriting and crafted a pretty decent sound for myself, but after some years of doing that, I began to notice that I had drifted both back towards more abstract sound art in my listening and towards more extreme material, both on the more conventionally musical end (especially metal) and the noisier side of things, than I felt was comfortably accommodated in what I could identify as my then-current "formula," even if it really wasn't a singular blueprint at all. Plus, I wanted to collaborate with other people in a more hands-on fashion, start a band, do something unpredictable. Fusing ideas from noise and extreme metal and EAI and ritualistic/transgressive performance art just seemed like the natural next step. A series of kind of intense epiphanies regarding gender identity and spirituality sort of cemented this desire to change pace and direction. I had done noisy work before, but this was a dedication, a commitment.
Zotheca
Noise Noob

Post by Zotheca »

When I was 17, in early 2013, two of my brothers and I were curious about how we would sound if we just spontaneously started recording some improvisation with acoustic guitars and our voices without having any experience with making music, and we decided to call the result shitcore. Within the next few days, we decided to look up "shitcore" to see whether we were using an original term, and it led us to Fxc3xa6kal Omsorg. We immediately connected with it and looked for similar stuff while starting numerous projects to explore different methods of creating sound. But most of it wasn't highly influenced by what we heard, so it was really pretty natural for us. I guess most things I get into, I discover by doing it (or something similar) myself first. Noise was inevitable for me because it started internally.
Let Merzbow and Dave Phillips turn you vegan.