Reviews

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

banned
Merzfinity

Re: Reviews

Post by banned »

realities of dementia
I think what scares me about getting old is loneliness and pain. sometimes with dementia you get scared about it, and personality changes are common (i.e. doesn't matter if you don't scare easily now). used to visit my grandfather in a care hone could never tell if its sufferers had an extremely low quality of life, or something worse than that
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Isn'tses - Tales from the control room

1. OK yeah this sounds like a 'community disco' 2022 in a 1982 B movie.
2. This track is not as torturous as the title implies. Well rounded assaults with rhythmic glitch details.
3. Not enough high-end shattering sounds for me on this one. I'm getting more of a cracking feel.
Should have been much worse!
4. Nice annoying pan effects with appropriate nuclear roach like sounds.
5. Shhhhh...Emergency! Emergency! Emergency!
6. Byzantine bureaucracy beat, lucky anything got done.
7. Militantish with abandoned snow covered forest village.
8. The nightly news was nefarious and sounded something like this.
9. I'm not sure what this about but I really like it.
10. A mutated lounge like experience that I enjoyed listening to. Martian Denny.
11. Contaminated crypt creep sounds. More nuclear drone!
12. Structured informational units pacakage.
13. Bleating to the beat! The lie is true.

Over all this was entertainining but not as harshly odd or ridiculous as I want or as good as other things I've seen from them.
Way more musical (and that's OK!) than it is noise but that will seriously affect the review process.

Contains no vocals or vocal samples even though the Chernobyl theme almost requires them!
I know there are opinions on vocal samples and vocals and Noise/PE but this is over the line and is music and I think music can be enhanced with vocals of some sort.
Electronic industrial music is always better with vocal samples.
Some of the more beat centered tracks would be over the top with some lyrics and vocals. Kraftwerky robotic vocals?
Anyhow...
On the electronic beats used I would have liked some more jarring crunked twisted tore up effects affecting the beats...something to freak it out more and hit harder or deeper.

This I assume is intended as an example of what the (beautiful...look at that thing) Chernobylizer is capable of and by design not so overtly noise or overly blatant harshness.
Isn'tses Chernobylizer synth.jpg
Viewed 960 times
...samples to use and listen to here...

The graphics are both not colorful enough and too colorful. Pick one and go with it.
Maybe printed on iridescent foil?
Isn'tses -Tales From The Control Room- album cover.jpg
I really like the feel of this photo.
Isn'tses - band photo by Agata Urbaniak.jpg
1610126380134.jpg
Viewed 960 times
I'm gonna give this a 3.5 Noise Brojobs out of 10 because it's 'cool man' but not near as NOISE as it should be and Tim can take it.
place holder
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

@rubbish I think this album exists to showcase what the Chernobylizer is capable of, and maybe expand the audience beyond the X or so people who may buy this in the noise community.

Yeah it's fun and actually quite structured - not nearly noise enough ,- but to me I think that's the point. It doesn't sound like an isntses album because you don't have the voice and guitars and layers of chaos.

Maybe it could be by their new pop alter ego. Is'ses

+++++((
I like this thread don't know whyi haven't posted in it before. Will do some reviews
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

scathing pat... perhaps a bit off friction there, about who does noise better?

I'm gonna review myself quickly: doing my "own thing" while not really sounding very unique or even individual.... to that extent, it is not clear what doing it very well would involve, but I have been known to get some things (jliat aisde), even wheel I do nothing as well as it can be done.

I give myself three :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

I am currently drowning in the new Prurient album called Creationist.
It feels like a direct follow up to 2017's Rainbow Mirror in terms of his scale and scope.
6 cassettes and a 7" with booklets etc is a rather expansive way to only market a new album physically - but on this occasion artistically it kind of works because the album is concerned with the 7 days of creation (a tape or record per day... hmmm...)

Perhaps a future 2xCD release for those of us across the pond who cannot afford to drop circa $90 on this physical vanity project.

Anyway... the sounds herein are EXCELLENT. This is the sort of sound I have been striving to create as Soloman Tump for about the past 5 years. Brutal rhythms, noisy textures and occasional cohesive control to reign in the chaos. I thought Rainbow Mirror was a huge influence on me, but when I listen to tracks on here like "Skyline Hunting Humans" I can actually hear what I am trying to achieve. Maybe he heard my tracks and used them as influence :lol: jk

Might make my own 2xCD release for car journeys. :rockon:
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Soloman Tump wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:07 pm @rubbish I think this album exists to showcase what the Chernobylizer is capable of, and maybe expand the audience beyond the X or so people who may buy this in the noise community.

Yeah it's fun and actually quite structured - not nearly noise enough ,- but to me I think that's the point. It doesn't sound like an isntses album because you don't have the voice and guitars and layers of chaos.

Maybe it could be by their new pop alter ego. Is'ses
Yeah the release is for a broader audience and to sell the Chernobylizer and that's OK but this is a noise forum so...I went noise on it.

I'm not gonna stroke people in the hopes that maybe they will release my shit or because they are somebody I like and have known for a long time.

I find that some people when it comes to thier art/music just wanna be held tightly and told that they are special and good. They don't want actual reviews or criticism they want a sugar tit to suck on.

And no Luke there is no beef boiled or grilled between me and Tim...thats silly.
place holder
timdrage
Noise Artist

Post by timdrage »

Thanks for the review :) very fair, yeah it's not a very Noise one at all :) Was kind of an exercise in using our own sample pack - isntses.bandcamp.com/album/chernobylizer-sample-pack - to make music. The sample pack is harsher than the album ha
Phogmasheeen
Noiser

Post by Phogmasheeen »

THIS is the line that makes this review. "This is the tape to be playing if you were to be arrested for doing things to dead bodies."
Is there a person alive with an ounce of curiosity that would not immediately want to hear what "the tape to be playing if you were to be arrested for doing things to dead bodies" would sound like!
Well done Rubbish! This is the kind of promotion that they should be paying for!
phog masheen
RUBBISH wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:25 pm ImageACID LEATHER - Baptized In Acid
Self released tape

Going to do a show with these guys in January and I'm rather intimidated.
They are classic thrash death metal.
Lots of wild changes all over the place.
Celtic Frost Bathory Venom all come to mind. Live they put on a show.
The lead singer is a scary brute.
One problem rather a bonus...if you listen to this on bandcamp or YouTube it sound almost too clean but the tapes all sound slightly different andd fucked up.
I personally like hearing it slightly fucked up.
This is the tape to be playing if you were to be arrested for doing things to dead bodies.
Not a team player. Doesn't take unsolicited advice. Otherwise charming...
Phogmasheeen
Noiser

Post by Phogmasheeen »

I personally think that the most recent Billie Eilish recording would be a better recording to associate with abusing dead bodies. If for no other reason than to see how the "Billie Eilish Corp" spins the news.
phog masheeen
Not a team player. Doesn't take unsolicited advice. Otherwise charming...
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Anders Svanoe - El Dragón: State of the Baritone Volume 5 (2022):

Man, every time Madison music seems like it's reaching its hand out to me, it slaps me with the other one.
I was suckered into paying money for this album upon hearing the track “2714 Blues” off of WORT (a local radio station I hold in high praise regardless).
I passed up the chance to see this guy live, and upon completion of El Dragón, I’m leaning more towards the ‘dodged a bullet’ side of the regret retrospective.

There’s nothing inherently ‘bad’ about this album, yet it sadly succumbs to the same distinctly Madisonian brand of indistinctness: it’s so forgettable and stale I could’ve skipped it and been none the wiser.

I do remember one thing about the album, though: the overt latin ‘jazz’ sound.
I’ll be blunt: this sounds like straight-up salsa music to me; some tracks even feature a small choir with lyrics sung in Spanish.
I guess I should’ve expected some kind of ‘latin’ influence on the sound given the album’s title, but suffice to say it’s more ‘latin’ than ‘jazz.’

Now I have nothing against salsa, it’s just not for me, but when I seek out work by a jazz musician, I’m generally expecting something that sounds like jazz.
Aside from the aforementioned "2714 Blues," every track was a de facto bait & switch for me.
Of course, sometimes bait-and-switch albums can still surprise or entertain you—for some reason, Killer Foxx’s Orgasm of Death immediately comes to mind—but this album isn’t even that.
There’s nothing here that strikes me as particularly fresh, experimental or enjoyable, even in an ‘ironic’ way: it just kind of... exists.

Once again, my hope for good, unique local music has been betrayed by the seemingly inescapable mediocrity that permeates independent Madison artists.
Anders, I'm sure you put in the work and you're a decent guy and all that, but boy was this one disappointing.

I don't, know what do you guys think: am I in the wrong here?