Reviews

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Reviews

Post by NoiseWiki »

Social_Drift wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:52 pm I was referring more to the practicalities of it, having all these deadlines and stuff. ofc, you know I am pretty disabled... so it's not the "business model" it's the stress and failure ha
Yeah well forking out several thousand dollars and then having to wait while your records sit in a warehouse for reasons out of yours or the pressing plant's control would be pretty frustrating regardless of whether your were running a business or not.

But what I'm saying is that "business" means deadlines and stuff.. noise and the people who make noise aren't neccessarily on board with deadlines and stuff. I've seen people ask why does anybody need a noise label to put out their stuff for them .. why not just upload it to bandcamp well that is too much for some people.. they just want to make the noise or making the noise was a challenge enough for them etc
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Social_Drift wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:57 pm
RUBBISH wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:25 pm Hipsters buying shit for fashion purposes. Fuck.
what does "fashion purposes" mean. these are tapes, not clothing.

everyone who doesn't like what you like is a conformist :thinking:
Yeah that's right you either agree with me or else you're conformist!
(I wont mention how that if we put hypocrisy aside that makes no damn sense)

Come on buddy guy dude my friend man now you're just looking to start trouble and I don't care :jerkoff:

Anyhow...
Maybe you could review something?
Seriously Luke write some reviews.
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

RUBBISH wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:25 pm
Social_Drift wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:25 am hipster noise is code for not racist, isn't it?
What the actual fuck are you trying to say?

Man you dont normally piss me off with your not understanding things but this makes no damn sense at all.

NO THAT IS NOT WHAT HIPSTER NOISE IS CODE FOR!
Jesus fucking Christ man.
It means what it means.
Hipsters buying shit for fashion purposes. Fuck.
tbf, the rita does like it when women do the ironizzing.

I'm just saying that I've only read that from people provocatively flirting with racism. except you :jason: :uhuh:
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

drift wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:22 pm
Social_Drift wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:25 am hipster noise is code for not racist, isn't it?

Man you dont normally piss me off with your not understanding things but this makes no damn sense at all.

It means what it means.

I'm just saying that I've only read that from people provocatively flirting with racism. except you :jason: :uhuh:
Tell us more about these racists you hang out and talk noise about with.

Is this a real thing you've done or some imagined scenario?

Driftbot
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Back on topic:

Muriel Grossmann - Union (2021):

This album is perfect. Really, I can’t think of a single thing bad about it. As I become more exposed to Ms. Grossmann’s work over time, I realize just how consistently good her records have been, and this one just might be her best to date. Additionally, there’s some new [to the best of my knowledge] techniques on display such as the piano playing near the end of “Happiness,” or the opening violins in the title track “Union,” which add that much more richness to the record. This is a solid jazz, modal jazz, ‘soul jazz’… whatever it is, a solid album I could imagine myself putting on anytime. A good choice for easing-away a bad day.

Bríi - Entre Tudo que é Visto e Oculto (2020):

Bríi is described as “an avant-garde black metal/psytrance” one-man brand from Brazil. I can offer little if any insight into what “psytrance” is other than it apparently being a trance subgenre: on this record, it basically translates to ‘tribal’-sounding beats with a vague similarity to electronic dance music composition… mixed with black metal. Quite the combination, don't you think? If nothing else, it’s certainly ambitious.

Honestly, parts of the album actually work out really well. I’d like to see a better attempt at beat-matching: as it is, the transitions to and from the black metal & psytrance sections are a mixed bag, sometimes succeeding and other times not. Some poorly-executed crossfades exacerbate the issue (especially on “Valias Desmanchando em Queda").

Initially, I thought the black metal sections were the weaker of the two, with somewhat tried & true riffs and ho-hum ‘growl-screamed’ vocals, but they get better (and more importantly, thoroughly head-bangable) later in the album.

Overall, I think this is a really cool and intriguing direction that needs some tightening-up and refinement. I'm keeping an eye on this guy: I’m genuinely curious to see how his work progresses, and/or if/how he addresses the issues I have with this album’s execution. He also has two other projects, Kaatayra and Vauruvã, with more of a black metal focus.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

C.C.C.C. - Test Tube Fantasy: Extended Edition (2021):

To absolutely nobody's surprise, this record kills. I’ve been meaning to get back into harsh noise lately and this was exactly the kick in the ass I was hoping for. Simultaneously loud, chaotic, screeching, dense, and texturally varied.

My only minor complaint is the awkward fade-in/outs tacked-on to both tracks, no doubt a consequence of the 12” vinyl format it was designed for. That said, the original version was also on vinyl, in a much shorter 7” format, so I'd still consider it a net win.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

RUBBISH wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:18 pm

It means what it means.

Driftbot
cleverish

quit complaining about me man.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

drift wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:20 pm

Driftbot
cleverish

I do nothing but applaud and encourage you.(except that one time)

Now about these racists you talk theory with and use as a comparative authority to base judgements on.
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

RUBBISH wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:28 pm
drift wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:20 pm

Driftbot
cleverish

I do nothing but applaud and encourage you.(except that one time)

Now about these racists you talk theory with and use as a comparative authority to base judgements on.
a theory of racism: THEORY OF GOOD RACISM.

haha.

I remember first - maybe only - psychosis, it started out with me lying in bed trying to purify God. all these christians were screwing at me: God is good, you cannot be serious, God is good

THEORY OF GOD: THEORY OF A GOOD GOD

no-one cared.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

You want more noise, you got more noise!

Amek-Maj - Stydi (2021):

Described as "primitive and crude harsh noise," Amek-Maj is apparently but one of a ‘new wave’ of noise from Finland, among other artists like Rotat, Jazzhand, and Kitu. This initially made me roll my eyes, as the ‘heavy-hitters’ of Finnish noise (projects such as Bizarre Uproar and Nicole 12) have typically been defined more by their try-hard, “look at me!” aesthetics and pointed offensiveness than anything of substance. Thankfully, this next generation doesn’t appear to be a repeat of the previous one; there’s still some explicit imagery and themes to be found, but nothing more explicit than anything you could find on Fusty Cunt or Phage Tapes, for instance.

As for this tape in particular: it’s nothing new or innovative, nor is it even the best material in Amek-Maj’s still relatively small discography—I was introduced to the project via their split with Rotat, from a YouTube video I happened upon by chance—but I thoroughly enjoyed it. There’s something about an intentionally low-fidelity approach to making noise that’s uniquely satisfying, a satisfaction that simply can’t be garnered from a louder, well-produced noise record (e.g. 90’s Merzbow) despite technically being superior in frequency response, stereo depth, textural variety, etc.

While Amek-Maj’s setup is unknown—for all I know, he could just be running scrap metal through a bunch of death metals like every other noise goon—the tonal quality of their noise makes me believe (and want to believe) it’s something truly unorthodox, and that kind of mystique really appeals to me. The sound is rough and muddy, but not incomprehensible; its composition is somewhat minimal or even generic at times, yet never in a prolonged or boring way. I tried to do something like this with my side proejct DiRT, but Amek-Maj’s results are far less clownish.

Keep an eye on this guy, and on his contemporaries. I'm sure they'll do good work in the future.