Noise Memes

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: Noise Memes

Post by RUBBISH »

Noise adjacent.
received_477704066889107.jpeg
Viewed 1202 times
place holder
Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Post by Fire of the Mind »

Last show I saw before the pandemic was Oranssi Pazuzu in I think November of 2019 with a local black metal band and Dana Schechter's project Insect Arc opening. I briefly chatted with Schechter (a very nice lady!) and found out a bit ahead of schedule that Swans were planning to swing by Philly in April.

It's been a year and I'm still bitter. They're a fun live act.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

timdrage wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:18 am Image
Is that Support Unit?
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

FB_IMG_1620527170805.jpg
Viewed 1141 times
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

NoiseWiki wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:26 pm Image
Why not both?
Attachments
bcf011d75f2f39acf22ebe0bfb9b21f7.jpg
Viewed 1131 times
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:22 pm
NoiseWiki wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:26 pm Image
Why not both?
What's funny to me is that I've been in or read several threads about this over the years where it was decided that straight up radio noise or tv static wasn't interesting enough on it's own :thinking:
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

NoiseWiki wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:32 pm What's funny to me is that I've been in or read several threads about this over the years where it was decided that straight up radio noise or tv static wasn't interesting enough on it's own :thinking:
I... kinda have to agree with that. Radio and TV static can certainly be cool, but the artist isn't really adding anything. It sounds the same basically no matter what device it's coming from, so there's not really any reason to listen to a recording or performance of it when you could just grab a cheap radio and hook it up to your speakers of choice. Even HNW, some of which uses static from those sources, at least has unique characteristics from artist to artist, decisions made by a human being to alter it to their liking. TV static just kinda sounds like TV static. I'm open to somebody recording a bunch of different devices producing static if there really is a difference to be found, but just an hour long recording of TV static or somesuch really verges on taking the piss.

Not that there's anything wrong with taking the piss, I'm sure many noise artists I enjoy would say that was their motive, I just personally wouldn't want to listen to it.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:28 pm
NoiseWiki wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:32 pm What's funny to me is that I've been in or read several threads about this over the years where it was decided that straight up radio noise or tv static wasn't interesting enough on it's own
I... kinda have to agree with that. Radio and TV static can certainly be cool, but the artist isn't really adding anything. It sounds the same basically no matter what device it's coming from, so there's not really any reason to listen to a recording or performance of it when you could just grab a cheap radio and hook it up to your speakers of choice. Even HNW, some of which uses static from those sources, at least has unique characteristics from artist to artist, decisions made by a human being to alter it to their liking. TV static just kinda sounds like TV static. I'm open to somebody recording a bunch of different devices producing static if there really is a difference to be found, but just an hour long recording of TV static or somesuch really verges on taking the piss.

Not that there's anything wrong with taking the piss, I'm sure many noise artists I enjoy would say that was their motive, I just personally wouldn't want to listen to it.

Well the easy question is have you listened to it? Meaning more than a cursory 5 minute sample?

Radio static, for me, is a most fertile area of exploration.
But then we would have to define, static.
I love listening to to what is in/below the hiss.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Indeterminacy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:02 pm I love listening to to what is in/below the hiss.
Sure.. I mean obviously you can tune in between stations and what not.. it was probably one of those stupid arguments with Jliat ... radio noise has got to be more interesting than listening to the typical noise generator I would think especially if completely unprocessed .. I guess the same could true of TV static
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Real radio and tv signals(digital is not the same close but no cigar) are amazing and extremely varied (think of them as organic if that helps) and are affected or can be affected by all sorts of random and controllable means.
And that's before eq or filters or effects.

Is the ocean boring is the endless forest something you don't want to see and hear.
Is space not deep enough.
Everything(in this topics sense) is defined by the individual(artist)

Magnets and microwaves and motors electrical fields ghosts the Sun cosmic rays and antenna variables machine variables unintentional circuits being formed because of bad ungrounded house wiring.

Anyhow make a meme about it!
place holder