Collabs , Splits. Compilations, Projects...

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

Pigswill
Noise Artist

Re: Collabs , Splits. Compilations, Projects...

Post by Pigswill »

WhiteWarlock wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:31 pm just came up with the idea of picking some old movie on youtube from Videodrome thread...
using that as theme for the project/comp or whatever...
have old habit of hacking sound/noise source out of old movies for manipulating/mutating...
grew up on diet of horror scifi & strange kung fu movies & obscure bizarre films/tv...
This would be fun. Artists like Oneohtrix Point Never do this in smaller capacities. For example, this track Sleep Dealer was made entirely out of this Spearmint gum commercial. It would be fun to do something similar with a single longer source with a longer result.
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

Eye play some "Game" on another gear related forum called OneSampleChallenge... where we get some absurdly shitty sample then have to completely deconstruct/construct it into full track... then the winner gets selecting the next sample... it can extremely brutal sometimes yet keep playing because it helps my Sound Design skills... so sort of thinking about some type of productive/creative Sound Game we can play here for making comps... picking an entire movie seemed like easier way for getting started & more than enough sounds for everyone finding something... plus it also has it's one theme with each movie... has built in cult niche... merely a concept for now... this idea may actually have much potential fun for all
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

also attempting coming up with ways for actually turning on some of my neglected gear...
because have habit of falling into pattern of just using easy fast goto gear...
instead of taking the extra time/effort for remembering how to use some old gear...

had to watch this 3+ times recently because completely forgot how to sample on my $20 DJX & no clue where the manual is...
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

WhiteWarlock wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:14 pm also attempting coming up with ways for actually turning on some of my neglected gear...
because have habit of falling into pattern of just using easy fast goto gear...
I can understand that. For me, I could just sample everything in software, but I have an Ensoniq EPS 16+ that I use for sampling sometimes. It's nice because it gets things out of pure software sometimes and it gives me a very different sort of sound and interface to work with, so the creation process has less chance of getting stale.
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

Exactly^
have an Ensoniq ASR10r because learned on the eps16... have made 10+ custom cd roms for it... ensoniq format
actually have multiple array of samplers...
yet the DJX is sitting here neglected & had TV noise fed into input and couldn't remember how correctly to sample on it anymore...
Last edited by WhiteWarlock on Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

Pigswill wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:50 pm
I can understand that. For me, I could just sample everything in software, but I have an Ensoniq EPS 16+ that I use for sampling sometimes. It's nice because it gets things out of pure software sometimes and it gives me a very different sort of sound and interface to work with, so the creation process has less chance of getting stale.
Do you need the Waveboy disk images for your Ensoniq EPS 16+?
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

also the EPS 16+ should have Ensoniq FX like my ASR10r... big advantage...
can do everything on the computer...
yet personally sometimes rather actually use the old gear...
no part of it
Noise Person

Post by no part of it »

This one was a comp of public domain sampled tracks. I wouldn't mind doing something like this again, if it is on a physical medium. I think I'm burnt out on doing net label comps, though.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

I thought I had a track on that frankenoise comp and I do...not a bad track.

I like the idea of being forced to use a culture club or beegees song or similar completely not noise popular sound source.

A 'viral' t.v. ad...I wonder what could be done with that fucking peloton ad?

I like this idea because it allows us to disempower what is basically a lie or a spell of bedazzlement by well paid media wizards.

Where's the beef...my bologna has a first name its...by mennen...
place holder
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

WhiteWarlock wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:15 pm Do you need the Waveboy disk images for your Ensoniq EPS 16+?
No, I have those covered, thankfully. Without them, the sampler is useless. Thanks for the offer though! If these floppies ever rust, I'll shoot you a message :)
no part of it wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:06 am
Himiko's track is like a machine wonderfully malfunctioning, like its circuitry is desperately trying to escape from its metal confines.

"The Night Letter" is like something out of a surreal horror film. Dreamy ambient that lulls you into its calm atmosphere, but then starts to twist into a murderous machine. I get some really vivid imagery of ghosts in ballrooms and reapers on a hunt while listening to this.