Noise releases on noisewiki imprint?

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

Would you be interested in releasing noise here on noisewiki?

Total votes: 0
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Re: Noise releases on noisewiki imprint?

Post by Soloman Tump »

I guess it depends if you want to curate it in some way or just allow anyone to upload and share.

If you imposed label restrictions and minimum standards that would possibly help keep it sensible. E.g. Tracks must be properly tagged, cover artwork of agreed dimensions, maximum duration etc...

This could then quite easily lead to submissions for curated compilations which would be fantastic.
Last edited by Soloman Tump on Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

I have an 18 minute straight Harsh Noise track (no samples no cut up no joking around)
I may re edit it and make it shorter.
Would be good for this idea...
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Soloman Tump wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:50 am If you imposed label restrictions and minimum standards that would possibly help keep it sensible. E.g. Tracks must be properly tagged, cover artwork of agreed dimensions, maximum duration etc...

This could then quite easily lead to submissions for curated compilations which would be fantastic.
Ixe2x80x99m not one for comp.s much anymore, but I totally agree with the standardization
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

UnderstandDavid wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:53 amOne downside would be the amount of work involved in running a netlabel that takes random submissions. I used to run Smell the Stench and it was constant uploads, listening and editing artwork, so I know how time consuming it can be.
And for that, Ixe2x80x99m grateful: my first release (MLF - Insomniacs Anonymous) was on STT in 2009, when I was seventeen years old, and I recall you were very helpful and encouraging to me.
Welcome.
UnderstandDavid
Noise Person

Post by UnderstandDavid »

FAP wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:01 am And for that, Ixe2x80x99m grateful: my first release (MLF - Insomniacs Anonymous) was on STT in 2009, when I was seventeen years old, and I recall you were very helpful and encouraging to me.
Welcome.
Cheers mate! Great to see you again, and I'm really glad you're still producing noise 10+ years down the line!!
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Cool.. well seems like I should get this setup.. details forthcoming!
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

FAP wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:57 am

Ixe2x80x99m not one for comp.s much anymore..
Not an attack...
Ok whats the deal with this thinking.
Why are comps bad or why do people not want to be on comps?
What's the reasoning?
I've asked this question before and can't get an answer.
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Not an attack...
What's the reasoning?
I was mostly considering single artist releases but I don't have an issue with comps
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:22 pm

Not an attack...
What's the reasoning?
I was mostly considering single artist releases but I don't have an issue with comps
Oh thats great!
Yay.

Comps I know are a crazy amount of work and wrangling of materials...so not wanting to make one I understand but I don't understand not wanting to be on one as long as someone else is doing all the shit work :D
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Not an attack...
What's the reasoning?
For me, it's because its a gateway to way too many other artists. I already have an average of 20+ hours of music I still need to listen to on any given day: adding another hour or two or even more (let's be honest: noise comps in general are more notorious for being long than they are for being brief) not only stretches the queue back further, but if I happen to hear a track I like, I'll likely seek out other stuff by the same artist... that of course further adds to my to-do pile, provided I find stuff by the artist that's similar to what I heard on the comp in question; it's not like metal where what you hear from a band on a comp is basically what the band will sound like forever.

Furthermore, I like listening to ALBUMS: compilations lack the cohesive vision that one person or a small group of people put into a finite work. Even demos or EPs by a single entity are preferable, for me, to compilations with several different entities represented.

Here's a thought experiment to try: name as many of your favorite and/or critically acclaimed pieces of music as you can in five minutes. How many of them were on a compilation?

Better yet, name your favorite albums. How many of them were compilations? How many of them do you like because of one or two tracks? How many of them wil you gladly listen to in their entirety?I

I can think of maybe three or four compilations off the top of my head that are solid 100% of the way through: the compilation itself is more like an album because all the different artists on it somehow "click" together in a unified package.
I can also think of many, many albums by one person or a band that are just as if not more solid because they don't need the same delicate curation a truly great comp needs to be memorable.