How do you promote yourselves?

Tutorials, tools, techniques, methodologies......

Moderator: Modulators

banned
Merzfinity

Re: How do you promote yourselves?

Post by banned »

what are you trying to achieve? sales? take up edm, status? worthless facebook likes. influence? be clear about what you are doing, and how it is different to everyone else.

imo
UnderstandDavid
Noise Person

Post by UnderstandDavid »

My promotion is minimal. If a label wants to release my material, great. If not, then no great shakes.

Even with Chav Stabber, it was largely just due to running STS for a while and doing stuff via MySpace. I didn't sent material to any labels other than one big one whose name escapes me right now. Obviously they weren't interested 'cause I was a no name DIY noise guy.

Why do you release noise? I do it because I like doing it. That's it. Nothing more and nothing less. If I make a few quid, that's amazing and I'm massively grateful for it...but I never have and never will do noise "for the money". That's laughable.

On the rare occasions that I do charge for a digital release, it's either because it's required a lot of work to put together and/or clocks in longer than average releases; or other people are involved and I want to see them compensated for their creativity.

Most of the stuff is put online for free and then I forget about it.

They're abstractions. Don't get hung up on forms. Create. Engage in the process.

For me, the reward is simply in the doing; in playing with frequencies and intensity, arranging soundscapes that I would listen to. If anyone else enjoys it then that's great.

At the moment, I'm predominantly digital because I want the physical product to be something that I'd be willing to pay for. It's something I would invest time and money in, but again: It's the process. Remuneration for the work involved is perfectly fair, but even then I remain entirely realistic about demand for the product.

Just my two cents.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

one tip: if you're sending out copies for review, send to two or three reviewers.

most reviews are positive, and it'll make any negative reviews look clueless or at least conflicted.

self promotion is a fucking awful idea anyway... you're never gonna "make it". and, while i understand people have been shitty to you, anyone who isn't due to your self promotion is a total fucking cretin.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Be nice(as possible and directly mean if needed)
Don't be a rip off
If you are an addict or drunk dont hide it or use it as an excuse to be a shitty rip off

Do shows set up shows go to shows
(If possible...if not make it possible)
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

I think one aspect that hasn't really been addressed here is that possibly documentation is more important in noise than sales.

Now of course if you are in noise to make money.. well good luck. So really the point could be simply to document what you did for posterity and post criticism slash street cred.

For example.. one of my favorite performance artists was Chris Burden and he said something along the lines of documentation is more important than the audience. Considering the extremities of what he was doing at the time sometime shaving an audience was not possible so documenting was paramount.

Of course creating merch and selling or otherwise dispersing it is documentation.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

documentation how? aside from merch, I mean? or is this a hint-hint nudge-nudge for me to make a noisewiki page of my own ;)
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

:assault:
FAP wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:47 pm documentation how? aside from merch, I mean? or is this a hint-hint nudge-nudge for me to make a noisewiki page of my own ;)
Yeah.. well besides noisewiki and discogs there's getting written about and reviewed
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Speaking of documentation, I was wondering if anyone here knew of any zines currently taking applications for ad space. I've been meaning to advertise in zines, and not just for the new cdr. I joined two fb groups centered around zines but haven't been approved yet.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

FAP wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:07 pm Speaking of documentation, I was wondering if anyone here knew of any zines currently taking applications for ad space. I've been meaning to advertise in zines, and not just for the new cdr. I joined two fb groups centered around zines but haven't been approved yet.
Check out Noise Receptor
JUBOO120MG
Noise Person

Post by JUBOO120MG »

What I learned from where I live in is to have a small community of people who have the same taste. Just via the social media. Facebook in my opinion is the place as it is more engaging site as compared to twitter and instagram. Just add those who like out there genre (punk, hardcore, metal,noise etc) in your friendlist. That is the simplest step. Built a small online community around it.

Next, start or released your track under a label. People dont really give much shit if you share your no name artist page. A label on the other hand is a brand and have a sense of legitimacy to it. You might get more attention from it.

Finally, asked your friends to share post about the releases. This will create more buzz. We are living in the social media era. The biggest economy right now is attention. The more it pop-up in their feed the higher the chance they want to spent their money on your novelty noise releases.