loud sound is loud

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Re: loud sound is loud

Post by Fire of the Mind »

In terms of recording dynamics, Venereology and "I Lead You Towards Glorious Times" in particular are basically mastered as loudly as humanly possible, but there are a few other records in that -0.0 dynamic range, the one that immediately springs to mind being Prurient's xe2x80xa6And Still, Wanting. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some HNW releases similarly mastered "beyond the red."
Rubby
Noiser

Post by Rubby »

0 db mastering went from pushing the boundaries of art to cheap gimmick that reddit hnw posers employ with the quickness. To the point that I'd argue it's an irrelevant discussion- unless we all wanna be a bunch of self unaware Spinal Tap alumni arguing about what "goes to 11"....
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

The loudest sound is anything produced by Rick Rubin
esh25lw2sv301.png
Viewed 1114 times
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

Fire of the Mind wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:50 am In terms of recording dynamics, Venereology and "I Lead You Towards Glorious Times" in particular are basically mastered as loudly as humanly possible, but there are a few other records in that -0.0 dynamic range, the one that immediately springs to mind being Prurient's xe2x80xa6And Still, Wanting. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some HNW releases similarly mastered "beyond the red."
With Harsh Noise Wall I don't see why you wouldn't. It has no dynamics anyway, that's by design, so if it's going to hold at a constant volume why not be the loudest you can get? That Prurient album certainly isn't making great use of it, though.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Why would you necessarily? SNW is the best NW. 8-)
Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Post by Fire of the Mind »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 pm
Fire of the Mind wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:50 am In terms of recording dynamics, Venereology and "I Lead You Towards Glorious Times" in particular are basically mastered as loudly as humanly possible, but there are a few other records in that -0.0 dynamic range, the one that immediately springs to mind being Prurient's xe2x80xa6And Still, Wanting. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some HNW releases similarly mastered "beyond the red."
With Harsh Noise Wall I don't see why you wouldn't. It has no dynamics anyway, that's by design, so if it's going to hold at a constant volume why not be the loudest you can get? That Prurient album certainly isn't making great use of it, though.
Whether or not the extreme mastering on xe2x80xa6And Still, Wanting is actually merited, I would say that the contrast between the more brutal sonic aspects of the tracks on that record and the sheer beauty of some of the synth melodies actually creates a really interesting mood, at once haunting and suffocating. To that end I'd say that the noise/music itself at least is quite successful. What's more, I'd say that the painful mastering was part of Fernow's intent there, but perhaps it is for the best that he otherwise generally refrains from such blunt tactics even in his pure noise output.

As for HNW, I think there's a bit more nuance to it. Destroying any sense of time or progression through relentless sonic stasis does not necessarily require such a flat sound profile per se, nor one mastered consistently at extreme volumes. It simply requires one in which the ear is irrevocably lost.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

any sense of time
didn't think of it like that, cheers