what do you dislike about noise?

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

FAP
Merzwow

Re: what do you dislike about noise?

Post by FAP »

Latrotoxin wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:40 pm I feel there's a certain amount of people who make noise that aren't really expressing anything, they just seek to be apart of this thing. This is probably just a natural progression of learning who you are, which can lead to good art. The learning curve usually isn't particularly interesting to listen to. Which brings me to my next point. The extensive catalogs of some artists doesn't always mean they are prolific. It can also mean there is a lackluster quality control. It's ok to be conceptual or daring, just as long as you're not trying to pad your discography with filler.
Thanks for sharing this. I definitely tend to overproduce my albums, which can lead to itxe2x80x99s own problems (basically not letting something xe2x80x9cbreathexe2x80x9d), but I often fear that not being prolific is a detriment because it makes me less visible/known. There are some people out there who can be both prolific and well known: I, however, have always been really careful and take my time with everything I do... thatxe2x80x99s not always a good thing, either.
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

As far as being "too serious" is concerned, I will be the first to admit I can be incredibly precious when it comes to my "art". It's hard to be serious all the time though, and there is an inner conflict there, wanting my "serious" stuff to be appreciated for what it is without having to pretend to be this grave or poetic personality just for people to be willing to get into my "headspace" WRT certain "serious", emotionally earnest, pseudo-spiritual/philosophical material and moods that frequently exist within my art. I'm uncomfortable with the idea that some people will expect me to be a pretentious caricature of an "artist" in real life. I can't always be clever, solemn, poetic, "radical", some other "artistic" stereotype in my personal life.

As for being prolific, I have posted a whole lot of crap on Bandcamp when I was doing one track a day for a year. I vacillated between doing it as a joke, goofing off and being serious about what I wanted to do. Other times, I was just scraping lazily vague/highly individualized meaning/significance out of the chaotic information overload of modern life and recording senseless, meaningless obligation-filling exercises, which I guess become expressions in and of themselves. These were some of the various phases I went through during the year. Sometimes, I'd focus on a particular way of working, fleshing out an approach or an idea across several days to largely boring result. it was basically a process of getting too comfortable with one way of doing things until it got boring before coming up with something else to make doing it every day seem interesting again.

The important thing about all this is that it wasn't done for anyone but myself, and now serves almost as a diary. It can be really interesting to revisit tracks on there and remember what I was thinking about that day, what motivated certain choices, etc. I think the bulk of it would be considered very dull without its personal significance, and it's even embarrassing if I look at it like a portfolio (which I do not). I made a lot of my uploads private on there for this very reason. I don't care about becoming noise-famous or getting noticed, but I also don't want to be discounted out of hand because people take having hundreds of half-baked tracks on Bandcamp out of context. This is more of a creative problem/personality crisis issue than one specific to noise, of course.

At any rate, even if you never get noticed enough to develop a bite-size noise "following", it should be a lot more rewarding to have a slim body of work you're personally satisfied with than to be the buzzing fly who dumps out shit on top of shit just to stay afloat in the "new releases" lists. Anyone who works that way is doing it for the wrong reasons. Look how much shitty, generic metal is out there because of people who just want to play rock star.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

For what it's worth, Jon, I thought Greypalm Death and Agreythocles was hilarious.
Latrotoxin
Noise Person

Post by Latrotoxin »

FAP wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:32 pm
Latrotoxin wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:40 pm I feel there's a certain amount of people who make noise that aren't really expressing anything, they just seek to be apart of this thing. This is probably just a natural progression of learning who you are, which can lead to good art. The learning curve usually isn't particularly interesting to listen to. Which brings me to my next point. The extensive catalogs of some artists doesn't always mean they are prolific. It can also mean there is a lackluster quality control. It's ok to be conceptual or daring, just as long as you're not trying to pad your discography with filler.
Thanks for sharing this. I definitely tend to overproduce my albums, which can lead to itxe2x80x99s own problems (basically not letting something xe2x80x9cbreathexe2x80x9d), but I often fear that not being prolific is a detriment because it makes me less visible/known. There are some people out there who can be both prolific and well known: I, however, have always been really careful and take my time with everything I do... thatxe2x80x99s not always a good thing, either.
My favorite noise artists have several hundreds of releases. But just because they have so many releases isnt a reason for me to like them. Still, who am I to tell anyone more successful than me that they're doing it wrong. Its just my personal opinion. Speaking of my personal opinion, I have been less enthused about samples lately. Specifically movie samples that are overused.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Movie samples
YES.
Ixe2x80x99m so sick of xe2x80x9ctalkingxe2x80x9d samples in general. It was cool a few times when some grindcore/metal guys did it decades ago, but itxe2x80x99s stayed long past its welcome. Whatxe2x80x99s worse is if itxe2x80x99s not in a language you understand, then youxe2x80x99re not in on the xe2x80x9cjokexe2x80x9d so whatxe2x80x99s the point?
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

FAP wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:07 am
Movie samples
YES.
Ixe2x80x99m so sick of xe2x80x9ctalkingxe2x80x9d samples in general. It was cool a few times when some grindcore/metal guys did it decades ago, but itxe2x80x99s stayed long past its welcome. Whatxe2x80x99s worse is if itxe2x80x99s not in a language you understand, then youxe2x80x99re not in on the xe2x80x9cjokexe2x80x9d so whatxe2x80x99s the point?
I like samples but more 'funny' samples. Granted they are usually mean spirited but the over all point is comedy or sick amusementiv

Not enough full blown mockery and to the point 'comedy'...don't care about 'in' jokey stuff. May be funny to your circle but it doesn't fly much further than that.

As much as in love blade runner and hellraiser or full metal jacket I don't need to hear any more samples from them.

I'm for creative use of samples ive never heard before.
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:26 am As much as in love blade runner and hellraiser or full metal jacket I don't need to hear any more samples from them.

I admit I have sampled two of those movies.. domo
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I am fine with "intro samples" and speech samples in general, but when some bands have them going for (sometimes literally) 2+ minutes, fuck off.

I promise, if I ever do sample anything from Hellraiser 1-2, it will only be splotching noises.

Also, FAP, you're embarrassing me, boo. :oops: I am really surprised anyone knows/remembers things like the Greypalm Death/Agreythocles "split" officialdigitalbandcampupload. I am humbled. Flattered and humbled. I don't even know how that's possible.
FLORIDA MAN
Noise Artist

Post by FLORIDA MAN »

RUBBISH wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:18 am Maybe I'm just j.ealous? :D
You have got to be kidding me, your a God in noise
FLORIDA MAN
Noise Artist

Post by FLORIDA MAN »

snobs and posers

"Hicks and Cliques"
Last edited by FLORIDA MAN on Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.