what do you dislike about noise?

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

zowozon
Noiser

what do you dislike about noise?

Post by zowozon »

?
m
logorok
Noiser

Re: what do you dislike about noise?

Post by logorok »

nuffing!
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Sometimes it is boring. Sometimes it's over-stimulating. Sometimes, I'm just not in the mood.
Sometimes, I wish I could escape from noise completely, and to experience total silence, even from my own body (heart beat, blood rushing, the shit rumbling in my intestines).
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

How or why certain 'projects' become popular within noise...I don't get it.

Maybe I'm just j.ealous? :D
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Pretty much echoing the prior two posters' sentiments. I didn't really choose this hobby, it just sort of clicked with me. I wish sometimes I clicked with something that more people enjoy like rock climbing or something, but then I don't think I'd be happy if I forced it.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

NOISE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

I guess the lack of humor has bothered me most or my having one has caused me the most problems at least online.

I guess this kinda dovetails into why some projects are "noise successful" and other aren't.
Rubby
Noiser

Post by Rubby »

The complete and utter glut of nonsense. People who look at noise as a dumping ground for their self indulgence, particularly if they consider themselves "real" musicians in their main projects. Dialing up some crazy sounds in your DAW and letting it go for 30 minutes isn't anything anyone wants to listen to. Likewise, the stereotypes that form, structure, and concrete ideas can't be present in noise. I realize that people who are just getting into noise can't help but relate to it solely from the music they've played before, but at a certain point if you're still sitting there wondering "is this noise? i assure you it's probably not and/or you're definitely worrying about the wrong things. Not trying to sound mean, I just don't know many noise people in real life so i'm constantly exposed to "tourists", ha...
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Ironically, I think noise is the easiest genre to get into from a creatorxe2x80x99s standpoint. There are no rules, ergo failure is impossible: thatxe2x80x99s the theory, at least. But yes, I know what you mean about the xe2x80x9cdumping groundxe2x80x9d aspect. At the same time, I feel like if someonexe2x80x99s being genuine about exploring what noise is, you canxe2x80x99t blame them for lack of vision.
Latrotoxin
Noise Person

Post by Latrotoxin »

I feel there's a certain amount of people who make noise that aren't really expressing anything, they just seek to be apart of this thing. This is probably just a natural progression of learning who you are, which can lead to good art. The learning curve usually isn't particularly interesting to listen to. Which brings me to my next point. The extensive catalogs of some artists doesn't always mean they are prolific. It can also mean there is a lackluster quality control. It's ok to be conceptual or daring, just as long as you're not trying to pad your discography with filler.
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

A lot of the criticisms here could be applied to music in general. :)