what do you dislike about noise?

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

Young Hate
Noise Person

Re: Re:

Post by Young Hate »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:44 am
Disturbingly accurate. It's less about feeling inadequate these days than it is feeling hopeless about myself, and worrying I'll never find any potential love interest, or any real and trustworthy friends who aren't total hot messes or outright sociopaths, or just insufferably fussy, uptight snobs outside of meeting people on the Internet, where the odds are slightly better.

Once again, this is in relation to music and the arts in general (especially where "weird/alternative" scenes are concerned). I don't have a lot of real hobbies/passions in life. Very little for me to do or to talk about. If I can't share this one damn thing with somebody, I'm doomed! All I ever wanted was someone else to be my friend and to spoon me at night and share the burden of existence with me and motivate me to go on living through the horrors and banalities of this one-shot, absurd existence in between milking goats, cooking meals and making wobbly synth farts together. Like a fifth-rate version of Coil. Tall order! Especially when you're as fucked up and shitty as everyone else.
I know exactly how you feel man; I actually saw your reply hours ago at work and it really hit the nail on the head.

Coil, as the kids say is relationship goals, pretty morbid aside by dying in my sleep is croaking goals.

Internet friends are a double edged sword tho, I'm gonna meet a guy I "knew" for 5+ years and I realized we have absolutely nothing in common 💀💀

And to your other point (on mobile rn), if it weren't for noise I wouldn't have met people who aren't like me at all...not tryna be hokey or nun but a 20-something from South Florida and a 40+ pencil pusher from up North talking about Japanese men yelling is sorta beautiful
Juntaro Yamanouchi is my favorite bedtime hero!
Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Re: what do you dislike about noise?

Post by Fire of the Mind »

I think the basic imprimatur of great noise is a certain amount of damage and disease or, at the very least, a quality of being out of step with societal expectations on some deeper level which may not be immediately obvious. You go into noise because you either want to hear the pure sound that underpins all music without too much of the faffery of standard musicking or you want to push music until it breaks and smash those pieces smaller and smaller until whether it's even the same substance is debatable. This tends to imply things about the artist beyond simple aesthetic preferences. I think that you can be happy and relatively stable and create great noise, but there's always something askew somewhere, some past baggage or crossed wire or abiding strangeness that never goes away.

As for things I dislike about noise: The transgressive, destructive aspect really is a matter of dancing on a knife edge in terms of execution sometimes, and I think there is a certain kind of fan who is drawn to the iconography of shock without really getting the pointxe2x80x94or that there are a whole host of different points to it, to be accurate, latching onto the most banal interpretation and never evolving past that understanding. This naturally cuts the other way when you have clueless outsiders assuming whatever nonsense, but that's far less of a concern for me, as the notion of trying to control the "optics" of noise with people who will never understand it is largely futile; rather, I feel like sometimes the filter isn't strong enough in the other direction, and that the misunderstanding comes from people who just want a personal playpen to be obnoxious in without at least having the dignity to be interesting or marginally original about it. Being obnoxious in the course of being genuinely bizarre is one thing, but being boring is significantly more offensive.
goruo
Noise Person

Post by goruo »

when it just has as single wall of noise. i like multiple textures of sounds conflicting with another.
E.i.I.
Noise Person

Post by E.i.I. »

shit like limited to 3 copies tape releases
shit like limited to 3 copies tape releases and the tape is sealed inside a bag full of water inside a hand painted box
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

E.i.I. wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:19 pm shit like limited to 3 copies tape releases
shit like limited to 3 copies tape releases and the tape is sealed inside a bag full of water inside a hand painted box
So you are new to Noise, welcome.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Indeterminacy wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:44 am
E.i.I. wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:19 pm shit like limited to 3 copies tape releases
So you are new to Noise, welcome.
What's even more fun is to say you made a run of 100 but only make 5 or 10!
place holder
Rubby
Noiser

Post by Rubby »

While we're on this subject , I hate when artists and labels are super pumped when their already too small edition sells out in days. Feel like I'm playing the fucking stock market and have to jump on any release I'm even remotely interested in before the Discogs Vultures circle around. I'm glad 15 lucky people get to jam your tapebut that does the rest of the us actual listeners no good.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

And yet when you make 50-100 copies, 90% of them rot on your shelf for years.
Therexe2x80x99s a reason these things are limited, and usually it has nothing to do with artificial scarcity.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

And there's the classic " sold out in 15 minutes, thanks to everyone."
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

Announcing new releases and not providing a link for the label.