Noise failure and Lunch

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Re: Noise failure and Lunch

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

FLORIDA MAN wrote: ↑Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:09 am
NoiseWiki wrote: ↑Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:42 am Last I heard it takes 8 months to get a record pressed
DIY CDR LUV πŸ’½ πŸ’Ύ πŸ’Ώ
The CDR will rise again. Eventually it'll probably be the only physical format that's feasible. Tapes are ahead now, but I suspect they'll start dying out again as reused tapes deteriorate into uselessness and functioning tape machines become high-priced collector's pieces instead of outmoded cheap junk - there's been a tape revival, but I don't see any signs that major corporations are actually putting their factories to work making new tapes and players en masse. When it's most economical to record digitally and there's no more surplus of chintzy tape labels to splatter your works across, the CDR seems like the way to go.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

The Mysterious Creep wrote: ↑Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:19 pm
NoiseWiki wrote: ↑Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:42 am Last I heard it takes 8 months to get a record pressed
The CDR will rise again. Eventually it'll probably be the only physical format that's feasible. Tapes are ahead now, but I suspect they'll start dying out again as reused tapes deteriorate into uselessness and functioning tape machines become high-priced collector's pieces instead of outmoded cheap junk - there's been a tape revival, but I don't see any signs that major corporations are actually putting their factories to work making new tapes and players en masse. When it's most economical to record digitally and there's no more surplus of chintzy tape labels to splatter your works across, the CDR seems like the way to go.
I have tapes near 50 years old that are fine. Just got a 1979 Gary numan pleasure principle tape and its great. I do have some 30 year old cds that are fine but no 30 year old CD players.
Tape decks usually just need new bands and rubber rollers and that's within my shitty gear skill range to do...what happens to CD players when they break? Unfixable.
Noticed the Indian sound system guys are using 3 to 5 tape decks for thier set ups and they aren't using anything I've seen before.
Its possible to build a tape player from scratch in your basement with scavenged or even homemade parts if you have the skills. Making a CD player with homemade parts seems newr impossible or insanely difficult.

Either way cheap tapes and cheap cds are both equally shitty.

I won't be buying any new cds...used ones sure.
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Tangential bit back in the early 90s one of my neighbors took the laser out of a laser disc player .. it was huge and tethered to a rolling box that had the power supply and it her electronics from the player that were probably no longer needed.

The same laser today is certainly much smaller, probably sub miniature

Low carb turkey sandwich today

I have some old tapes that will still play but sound warbled but they will play. The problem which cds and especially cdrs is damage in that inner ring means game over.

It'd be hilarious to sell releases that is flash card in an lp sleeve
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: ↑Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:24 pm
It'd be hilarious to sell releases that is flash card in an lp sleeve
OK...hurry up before GX does it!
place holder
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

the obvious thing about tapes vs Cdr's for me is that Cdr labels suck.
FLORIDA MAN
Noise Artist

Post by FLORIDA MAN »

RUBBISH wrote: ↑Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:59 pm
The Mysterious Creep wrote: ↑Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:19 pm
I have tapes near 50 years old that are fine. Just got a 1979 Gary numan pleasure principle tape and its great. I do have some 30 year old cds that are fine but no 30 year old CD players.
Tape decks usually just need new bands and rubber rollers and that's within my shitty gear skill range to do...what happens to CD players when they break? Unfixable.
Noticed the Indian sound system guys are using 3 to 5 tape decks for thier set ups and they aren't using anything I've seen before.
Its possible to build a tape player from scratch in your basement with scavenged or even homemade parts if you have the skills. Making a CD player with homemade parts seems newr impossible or insanely difficult.

Either way cheap tapes and cheap cds are both equally shitty.

I won't be buying any new cds...used ones sure.
You're using the internet.. external drives are $25 from Walmart :shrug:
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Social_Drift wrote: ↑Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:16 am the obvious thing about tapes vs Cdr's for me is that Cdr labels suck.
So do cassette labels.. first tapes I made the labels were too thick and several got stuck in car tape decks
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

FLORIDA MAN wrote: ↑Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:36 am
You're using the internet.. external drives are $25 from Walmart :shrug:
Yeah but so is everybody else.
I'm being contrary or stodgey on purpose.
Ill change my mind or not, eventually maybe.

I recall 20 years ago giving a tape to a former big name in noise(they do a noise podcast now) and they looked at me like I was crazy because cds(cdrs being more available) were the cool thing then. I did get a 3inch from them that I sold for a decent amount 15 years later...cds let alone cdrs weren't so in vogue...tapes were the rage.
place holder
FLORIDA MAN
Noise Artist

Post by FLORIDA MAN »

RUBBISH wrote: ↑Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:54 am a former big name in noise(they do a noise podcast now)
Who's this?
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

NoiseWiki wrote: ↑Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:00 am
Social_Drift wrote: ↑Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:16 am the obvious thing about tapes vs Cdr's for me is that Cdr labels suck.
So do cassette labels.. first tapes I made the labels were too thick and several got stuck in car tape decks
presumably that was the glue man