Noise failure and Lunch

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

banned
Merzfinity

Re: Noise failure and Lunch

Post by banned »

record store day
I think it's less about marketing (there's still no mainstream cover of hn afaik) and more about natural fashion cycles. techno / edm / electronica is out of fashion / easy to sneer at rn, especially with covid etc.. and eventually everybody is going to realise that rock music / a guitar is only edgy if you were born before google. so you have... industrial to fill the gap.

what happens when weird isn't weird anymore: does norm become weird?

Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:51 am
record store day
I think it's less about marketing (there's still no mainstream cover of hn afaik) and more about natural fashion cycles.
You have absolutely no idea of what you are babbling about.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Indeterminacy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:23 am
Social_Drift wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:51 am
record store day
I think it's less about marketing (there's still no mainstream cover of hn afaik) and more about natural fashion cycles.

Yeah but its so fucking noise.
Just random wild speculations and ruminations.

I'm wondering about these 'natural fashion cycles' is that about nostalgia loops or waves?
I'm waiting for poodle skirts and doowop music to make a come back.

Edit: I love asking Luke a question and he completely ignores the question and goes off on some tangent.

Edit 2: I haven't had lunch yet. Its either tacos or fish and pasta but I do have this squash soup that's really great.
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

I had In & Out for lunch...

As for fashion trends ....

There's growing issues with noise and physical media.. Some well known noisers are getting involved with a new music service that somehow uses crypto and this bothers some people.

I feel like noisecoin could still have its day
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:06 pm
As for fashion trends ....

There's growing issues with noise and physical media.. Some well known noisers are getting involved with a new music service that somehow uses crypto and this bothers some people.

I feel like noisecoin could still have its day
Invest in gold or silver backed noise!

Crypto music services.
Maybe not a bad idea if you are success.
https://builtin.com/blockchain/blockcha ... n-examples

The coolest thing about crypto is that it can actually disappear in a moment and there is no way to get it back or even funnier you lose your key in the local garbage dump or your key was stored on a now corrupted storage device.

Hey wheres my MySpace page!?
place holder
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

RUBBISH wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:39 am
The coolest thing about crypto is that it can actually disappear in a moment and there is no way to get it back or even funnier you lose your key in the local garbage dump or your key was stored on a now corrupted storage device.
Now that would be noise success and a failure all wrapped up into a neat little package.

Re: Natural fashion cycles.... CDs are back in again! Mainly because of the vinyl plant situation, CDs have become a necessary way of releasing an album physically for a lot of labels / acts.
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

Indeterminacy wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:23 am
Social_Drift wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:51 am I think it's less about marketing (there's still no mainstream cover of hn afaik) and more about natural fashion cycles.
ah. I guess.

to an extent, we're just talking about too many things at one time, industrial, hn. marketing, audience, ltd run records, record stores and record store days, so I'm not sure what you disagree with? while record store day is huge, and accounts for two thirds of hits for "record store", I reckon (and yeah it's a guess) very few record stores take much interest in harsh noise. like an obscure footnote for one in every few hundred. next to the power of 'fashion' as generational and beyond our understanding, it's nothing. by which I mean only that things are always in flux, and that with or without new marketing strategies the audience wasn't going to stay identical forever.

or do you mean tape and vinyl culture? sales on RSD are currently about 500% of a standard weekend, which isn't exactly mind blowing. to pin a "renaissance" solely on that success of that one weekend seems somewhat absurd. there are a tonne of factors, and nostalgia / fashion etc, would be a part of that. there's 120 hits for "vinyl renaissance" and "harsh noise", and all are garbage. what in fact is your point? do you have any evidence of new marketing techniques breaking hn to 'the masses'?
Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 15.28.37.png
Viewed 912 times
Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 15.27.33.png
Viewed 912 times
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Social_Drift wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:50 am Record store day

Ok guess what sells to hipster dipshits the rest of the year...eagles greatest hits dolly parton Fleetwood Mac shit that there's literally 10 or 20 million used copies of....thats the mediocre crap record stores cant get enough of.

Find one of those at the thrift store for $1 clean it up and sell to local shop for $10 or $15 and they turn around and sell it for $20 to $30 to some nostagligic doofus.

Or you can go to Wal-Mart and buy a new copy for $40.

Edit: not on your chart...the rare records sold privately by record store owners for $500+ under the table as in not part of store stock...hah.

the one I heard about a few weeks ago that went for $3800(a certain EP/7") or the broken Robert Johnson 78 missing pieces but still had the label that went for $1800...both of these from a $200 box of a few 100 records bought at a garage sale.
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

The problem with record store day is that now people like Taylor Swift are causing massive wait times because she's releasing 6 lp box sets and her idiot fans don't even appreciate the format let alone understand it when they think the record is broken because it's a 45 full sized record and of course sounds slow because they play it at 33

Last I heard it takes 8 months to get a record pressed
FLORIDA MAN
Noise Artist

Post by FLORIDA MAN »

NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:42 am Last I heard it takes 8 months to get a record pressed
DIY CDR LUV 💽 💾 💿