rare/esoteric noise pictures, releases, stories, knowledge, etc

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

zowozon
Noiser

rare/esoteric noise pictures, releases, stories, knowledge, etc

Post by zowozon »

basically the title, i talked to some guy online about black metal and he mentioned how he had some demos that were limited to 5 copies or less. and that got me thinking about all the obscure noise releases that would be just as rare, how would one find them? what about all the stories and pictures and videos that are known only to a few people? what about all the obscure facts and trivia relating to noise?
i was just thinking about that stuff and i decided to make this thread. have fun!
m
banned
Merzfinity

Re: rare/esoteric noise pictures, releases, stories, knowledge, etc

Post by banned »

pretty much anything on a noise board probably counts.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Difficult packaging: the good, the bad and the stupid viewtopic.php?f=6&t=266
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

I might have more of the kind of stories OP is looking for, but off the top of my head...

Mansfield Deathtrap Re-Recordings was practically an urban legend to me and to most people in the broader noise community, until by chance I happened upon his ebay account one day. I ordered somehing of his and he actually showed up at my house to drop it off. That was ten years ago: now we keep in touch via email on a somewhat irregular basis. I've even had the pleasure to reissue some of his material and expose his work to a [slightly] wider audience.

Not my story, but there's a video podcast somewhere out there where Patrick Harsh (RedSK, Bullshit Market, etc.) mentioned writing physical letters to people, and receiving old stock of tapes that were released decades ago; I think it was stuff like Deche-Charge or Sonic Disorder, the latter of whom I eventually wrote to myself (unrelated to Patrick's experience) and received back a nice letter and an early mix of what eventually became his 2019 퐆 송스 tape on Detachment Programs.

To be frank, I think all of us have made super-ultra limited editions of garbage nobody wants at some point: it's not hard to do. One-offs (only one copy made) were my bread & butter for a while circa 2009-2011; Jon (¾ dead) made one in 2004, much to the chagrin of certain discogs elitists.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Pictures of various MDRR releases (might help to give an idea of just how DIY/niche they could be):
Attachments
20181208_144352.jpg
20181208_144320.jpg
20181208_144047.jpg
timdrage
Noise Artist

Post by timdrage »

Good FB group for this kind of thing which needs more members of the non-bandcamp-spamming kind https://www.facebook.com/groups/351690259161580