Whatever happened to...

This type of music tends to challenge the distinction that is made in conventional musical practices between musical and non-musical sound.

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Whatever happened to...

Post by NoiseWiki »

FAP wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:08 am People like Gordon, who so bluntly and unambiguously pointed out how much of a dickhead I was being
Huh.. I'm seem to recall a number if people saying as much about you during the troniks/maniacs days? Maybe because they were posting in reaction to things yiu were doing on the forum it didn't register?

Anyway I often wonder what happened to Ikeaboy aka Dwayne from Oakland. I only met him once at show RUBBISH and I did.. he gave use some snacks snd a bottle of Tequila.. neither Pat or I drink Tequila.. I think I ended up making margaritas. Anyway we're pretty he died but there no way to find out with the info I have.

This past couple of years a number of people I know have died .. some from covid and others from something else or I just never heard. One old school friend I had been in touch with shortly before he died but didn't realize he had died until over a year later. I haven't figured out how to get in touch with his family so I may never get much closure on that.

RIP to them all
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

If anyone reads my zine, the latest issue has an article on Tyrannic Horizon who I used to correspond a lot with. He posted as Dyecap on the Noiseguide Forum (and possibly also here too for a bit).
But I am 90% sure he has passed on now.

He was very influential and supportive of my step into the noise world, sent me pedals, zines, tapes etc in the post, really cool guy from my experience. Wish we has done that collab we talked about, or the interview for my zine, or indeed anything...
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek:
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

NoiseWiki wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:27 am
FAP wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:08 am People like Gordon, who so bluntly and unambiguously pointed out how much of a dickhead I was being
Huh.. I'm seem to recall a number if people saying as much about you during the troniks/maniacs days?
Oh, they did; they were probably in the right as well.

I guess Gordon’s reply was the one that stuck out in my mind the most because nothing prompted it.

Back then, when I posted something stupid about the topic at hand, people would typically bitch me out in relation to that same topic; like if I said “why does this need to be two one-sided tapes when it could be a single tape with two sides” for example, the response would be something along the lines of “who cares it’s my label” or “stfu fap yr being autistic again.”

Gordon’s reply, in contrast, was more like the ending monologue from Clerks where Randal admonishes Dante. Obviously we weren’t friends, but up until that point he hadn’t said a word to me… I don’t know, I guess being told I was an asshole had more weight when it came from someone who was an otherwise neutral bystander (as opposed to someone like RJ, whom I was already predisposed to regard with suspicion).
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Still think about Gordon and Dwayne sometimes too. I am fairly positive Dwayne died. Still have the awesome Sony MD recorder he sent me, but never managed to finish a disk to send to him.

I keep meaning to rip Gordon's youtube uploads before they inevitably vanish, I just never get around to it. I tend to avoid things like that because it's always uncomfortable.

I guess the good news in all of this is that Davey should still be around. He actually poked his head in here at least once months ago, but he sort of became a ghost again after that. Wish I'd been with it enough at the time to reach out to him. I dunno where he posted now, but might have been in the introduce yourself thread. There's at least a couple of BOTD releases he sent me.

I hope you all know that I love all of you NG fucks. Really. I've met, like one person ever that used to be on NG, but you all have been the longest-running consistent thing in my life. Daniel (omikron/The Shock Technician/one half of Ultra9000, etc.) is basically the only person I talk to semi-regularly any more, but you have all been a part of the diseased rainbow arcing over the void that I've been sliding on for the better part of about 15 years.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Soloman Tump wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:37 am If anyone reads my zine, the latest issue has an article on Tyrannic Horizon who I used to correspond a lot with. He posted as Dyecap on the Noiseguide Forum (and possibly also here too for a bit).
But I am 90% sure he has passed on now.
Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but I’m not convinced he’s dead yet. Not until I get some hard proof: the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence, after all.

He confided in me before about some health problems he was having, however this being the internet it could be just as likely that he became involved with something else (work, life, family, etc.) and simply couldn’t keep doing what he was doing.

Still, I miss the guy.
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

Same about ripping Gordon's stuff, but with his Bandcamp.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

I've got a couple of his tracks, if you guys are missing anything.

I think Davey was also the guy who put out a tape called something like NOX VOMICA or NUX VOMICA. The only reason I remember this is because I paid money for a copy and never got it. Nobody else ever talked about it after that, so for all I know he just took the money and ran. Now it's been like 10-12 years since then so it's entirely possible this wasn't Davey at all, but whoever it was, fuck them.

Zombra was another interesting character. In the beginning he was [by his own admission] strictly a fan of noise i.e. he didn't make noise himself: a cursory google search suggests this is no longer the case. Anyways, I remember liking his first track (made for some comp. god know's where from) because it was noise/ambient sampled entirely from youtube videos. And it was actually pretty good!

Every once in a while, I go on a search for more information regarding someone on NG who went by the eloquent name of "cunt." Cunt's setups were(/are) so wild to me; he'd do shit like put a humbucker pickup on top of a portable CRT TV, or scrape pieces of metal together in a victorian synthesizer-type circuit. The rough, trashy, DIY aesthetic of these setups really influenced my own work later on. I found his bandcamp page which gives a name of "J.Englebach," however I haven't found anything beyond that, which is a shame since I really liked his recorded output as well.
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I seem to remember cunt being an associate/friend of Gordon in person. Maybe I'm mixing him up with someone else as it's been so many years/beers since, but I do recall that somone else involved with his band Snowflake was on NG (though not quite as active), and my memory has always been that it was cunt.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

I didn't know much about gordon. who remembers crazyguy, I think he was on NG? could be one of the countless other forums I've used...

no it was "here"
no thanks
ha!

I do have some affection for NG people.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

Gordon was a kind soul. I still miss his posting.

Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend