Current fleeting interests too

Whatever

Moderator: Modulators

RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: Current fleeting interests too

Post by RUBBISH »

Just finished TIGER KING...fucking wow.
From Joe to that bitch carol baskin total pieces of shit creeps.

place holder
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Horror magazines a la Weird Tales. I finally took the time to get acquainted with some of Thomas Ligotti's writing this year (Grimscribe, Conspiracy Against the Human Race*, and one story I read in a magazine), after being curious about him for a long time (Current 93 connection + comparisons to Lovecraft naturally piqued my interest). So, I've been looking for publications with his stories in them, as well as others that just look interesting. I really like the short story format. I like that I can read something before bed without investing a ton of time, but could keep reading short stories on and on if I wanted to, which is usually what happens. Good/interesting/engrossing weird fiction and horror stories are like potato chips. And, while I recognize and understand the criticisms of writers like Lovecraft and Ligotti very well, I find them both very pleasurable to read. Possibly, in part, because of the very things that people criticize them for. There's something comfortable, cozy, even luxurious about reading them. Formulas and repetition only help to reinforce this feeling.

*I bought this without actually researching it, simply because it was inexpensive and written by Ligotti. I had no idea idea it was a book of philosophy (not something I typically go for reading entire books on), but I finished it anyway. It was interesting enough to finish reading, but repetitive to the point of turning certain rather simple concepts/phrases into tediously doctrinal mantras. Also, nothing particularly foundation-shaking with regard to the idea that existence is meaningless and blandly horrifying in its absurdity. But it was interesting to read his thoughts about why this existential horror makes weird/cosmic fiction/horror so appealing, which made sense to me.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:58 am Horror magazines a la Weird Tales. I finally took the time to get acquainted with some of Thomas Ligotti's writing this year (Grimscribe, Conspiracy Against the Human Race*, and one story I read in a magazine), after being curious about him for a long time (Current 93 connection + comparisons to Lovecraft naturally piqued my interest). So, I've been looking for publications with his stories in them, as well as others that just look interesting. I really like the short story format. I like that I can read something before bed without investing a ton of time, but could keep reading short stories on and on if I wanted to, which is usually what happens. Good/interesting/engrossing weird fiction and horror stories are like potato chips. And, while I recognize and understand the criticisms of writers like Lovecraft and Ligotti very well, I find them both very pleasurable to read. Possibly, in part, because of the very things that people criticize them for. There's something comfortable, cozy, even luxurious about reading them. Formulas and repetition only help to reinforce this feeling.

*I bought this without actually researching it, simply because it was inexpensive and written by Ligotti. I had no idea idea it was a book of philosophy (not something I typically go for reading entire books on), but I finished it anyway. It was interesting enough to finish reading, but repetitive to the point of turning certain rather simple concepts/phrases into tediously doctrinal mantras. Also, nothing particularly foundation-shaking with regard to the idea that existence is meaningless and blandly horrifying in its absurdity. But it was interesting to read his thoughts about why this existential horror makes weird/cosmic fiction/horror so appealing, which made sense to me.
Archive.org should have some of his material...I do believe that's where I got his entire collection including essays
place holder
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

Lovecraft or Ligotti? Either way, thank you... I might look into it, though I do have an incomplete anthology of the former, which includes most of his published work, but not everything. I would like to eventually fill in what isn't included there. I don't have a tablet, so I prefer physical buuques I don't have to sit at the computer to read, as I read everything in bed these days unless it's magazines on the crapper. Fuck, I even eat most of my meals in bed these days. I am turning into a fucking cockroach. :gape:
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:38 pm Lovecraft or Ligotti? Either way, thank you... I might look into it, though I do have an incomplete anthology of the former, which includes most of his published work, but not everything. I would like to eventually fill in what isn't included there. I don't have a tablet, so I prefer physical buuques I don't have to sit at the computer to read, as I read everything in bed these days unless it's magazines on the crapper. Fuck, I even eat most of my meals in bed these days. I am turning into a fucking cockroach. :gape:
E readers are great. I love real books but having 100s of books in one place is amazing. Granted I have years of books to read now. I read in bed also...in the dark.

1000 books and the internet in one hand
1594520495567996143523.jpg
Or

1594520959227159476746.jpg
place holder
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I always forget e-readers (i.e., "not tablets") are things that have been around forever... While I don't have nearly enough books or time left alive to realistically justify "needing" one (I don't own that many physical books in the first place, and am at a stage where I sort of fetishize owning the physical objects/works of authors I like or am interested in reading more than feeling overwhelmed by them), I think having one would be really great for reading in the darque, and simply having access to shitloads of materials, including possibly, PDF manuals I can't be fucked to sit at my computer to read.

Might be a good holiday gift request...
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Scored a copy of this for $1.50....yes one dollar and 50 cents!

$1000 book

https://www.abebooks.com/first-edition/ ... 8673628/bd
place holder
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Karen videos.
Been plowing through this series.
I'm curently on 18...19... here's number 6...
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Not sure if this is a fleeting interest yet but I've been playing around with pinhole photography and polaroids. I modified a SX70 camera to have a pinhole.. working on double exposures and better control over the shutter.

Here's some exam of pinhole with flash of interior objects
image.png
Viewed 1512 times
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Those are kind of neat! Reminds me of certain silent movies, or certain low-budget 70xe2x80x99s movies, only in black & white. If that makes sense.

You ever seen Zaat (aka Blood Waters of Dr. Z)?