Et tu, Maniacs Only?

Whatever

Moderator: Modulators

BPJ
Noiser

Re: Et tu, Maniacs Only?

Post by BPJ »

I'm way out of the loop when it comes to programming, but a friend of mine living in commiefornia told me that some language or resource underwent a whole slew of changes because some broads got butt hurt that words were being used in their actual original context within the programming language, and he had to go through a load of software he made for the company he works for or some shit. I'm likely mangling the story, this was last year or the year before. It's fuckin' stupid.
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

IBM seemed a culprit here, in IBM speak a program (now called an Ap) didn't crash, a crash was an Abend.
Abnormal End. And back in the day the OS would dump, that was the term, the contents of memory into an Abend file, for the programmer to look for the error. Now given this was on a mainframe the file was massive. Files would sit in queues, and the novice could accidently move this to a queue which was a print queue, it wasn't obvious. So after an hour a guy from the machine room would arrive with a trolley of the dump, all in hex, and around 4 foot high, much to the amusement of the rest of the team.

Then some third party wrote some code which would track the Abend to a single page, it was called Abend Aid.

Some latter software was called AIDS, it wasn't a good name.
"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

BPJ wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:13 am I'm way out of the loop when it comes to programming, but a friend of mine living in commiefornia told me that some language or resource underwent a whole slew of changes because some broads got butt hurt that words were being used in their actual original context within the programming language, and he had to go through a load of software he made for the company he works for or some shit. I'm likely mangling the story, this was last year or the year before. It's fuckin' stupid.
I tend to leave movie quotes in the comments of code I write. For one project there was a user dialog that would include randomized Arnold Schwarzenegger movie quotes.

Speaking of core dumps. The first unix station I worked on was a SGI which cost $50k. The guy that owned it had inherited a assload of money in his parents divorce. Anyway he was showing me how to use it and the importance of deleting the core dumps because they took up a shitload of disk space. This was in the early 90s and the 2GB harddrive cost two thousand dollars. Anyway.. he took off for Tibet to have a mid life crisis in his 20s and while he was away I figured out the system setting to turn off the core dumps.
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

BPJ wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:13 am I'm way out of the loop when it comes to programming, but a friend of mine living in commiefornia told me that some language or resource underwent a whole slew of changes because some broads got butt hurt that words were being used in their actual original context within the programming language, and he had to go through a load of software he made for the company he works for or some shit. I'm likely mangling the story, this was last year or the year before. It's fuckin' stupid.
Reminds me of the huge jump that a bunch of morons made to try to replace anything that mentioned "master" and "slave" because they conjure up images of slavery which might be offensive to minorities. Or so the thinking goes. Here are two of the most famous examples, though there were many, many others around the same time (and also for other common terms that are suddenly now "problematic").
- https://github.com/django/django/pull/2692
- https://github.com/antirez/redis/issues/3185

Most of the people giving arguments are developers whose points are never addressed. The proponents of the change are largely non-developers with vanity profiles, or at most devs who don't use these libraries/platforms.
BPJ
Noiser

Post by BPJ »

Fuck this Earth right in the asshole.

If I knew how to invent a programming language, it would be nothing but hateful words.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Code: Select all

fuck_you()
{

fuck_pussy = 69;
fuck_poopchute = 666;

cocksucker (pussy > poopchute)
{
bitchx(xe2x80x9cEat my shitxe2x80x9d)
}
rimjob 0;
}
The Mysterious Creep
Noise Artist

Post by The Mysterious Creep »

FAP wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:32 pm

Code: Select all

fuck_you()
{

fuck_pussy = 69;
fuck_poopchute = 666;

cocksucker (pussy > poopchute)
{
bitchx(xe2x80x9cEat my shitxe2x80x9d)
}
rimjob 0;
}
I've taken programming for four years in school and this is exactly how I feel when I code.
Even if you took a few years and learned all the chords you'd still have a limited number of options. If you ignore the chords your options are infinite and you can master guitar playing in one day. - David Fair
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Fuck me, four years? Thatxe2x80x99s exactly how I feel about coding and I only had one semester!
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

FAP wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:40 am Fuck me, four years? Thatxe2x80x99s exactly how I feel about coding and I only had one semester!
Well I've been programming for decades and I'd say that's pretty good pseudo code ..looks like javascript
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

I literally just looked up a sample if statement code and changed the words: that's probably why.