Et tu, Maniacs Only?

Whatever

Moderator: Modulators

Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Re: Et tu, Maniacs Only?

Post by Indeterminacy »

NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:40 am The first unix station I worked on was a SGI which cost $50k.
Nightmare fuel. East coast vs. west coast Unix.

I left a super colossal ultra mega hyyper huge company and did contract work for a minnow black box (literally with Silicon Graphics) manufacturer. RAID arrays. Watched a distracted forklift driver drop a pallet with 8 of them about 2 feet.

The lulz were off the goddamned charts. To see damn near every front office project manager, engineer or C suite exec rush out on to the floor exemplified everything wrong with the company. They gave not a fuck about the damaged goods. They saw that their holiday bonuses were gone. 4th quarter pushes were pure manipulation of stock prices anyway.

Understand that there were 3 of these indicators on each shipping box.
And all 24 indicated an oopsie.
red-shock-indicator-label-lb-2032.png
Viewed 447 times
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Et tu, Maniacs Only?

Post by NoiseWiki »

Indeterminacy wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:47 am
NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:40 am The first unix station I worked on was a SGI which cost $50k.
Nightmare fuel. East coast vs. west coast Unix.
Yea Irix was I guess okay.. although I discovered a fun bug in their filesystem where a folder would get corrupted and it would create an infinite loop and if you tried to delete the folder it'd basically erase all your shit. I called SGI tech support and got a real pimply sounding dork on the phone who basically laughed at me when I wondered aloud if it was possible to get my files back.

Later when it happened again I renamed the folder .. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT TRY TO DELETE THIS FOLDER.

Anyway they made a huge mistake trying to compete with the PC. In early 90's I went to Alias Wavefront and then Maya user groups. When they announced they were porting Maya to Windows somebody from the back of the room yelled out and when will the crack be out?

I still have an SGI Max Impact in storage.. I bought it used from my former employer in the late 90's for $2k. On ebay I might still beable to get $500 for it.. I should really unload that thing.