How deep is the rabbit hole?

Moderator: Modulators

RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: How deep is the rabbit hole?

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:59 am .

My buddy said he imagined some scenario where a virus was engineered that actually cured a disease rather than causing one.

My reference to fungi recently was a bit of a nod to that. Looks like it could be a solution to cleaning up toxins and protecting crops with less toxic pesticides.
Douglas Adams(hitchhikers guide) has in one of his stories the idea of 'rapturists' that is the opposite of a terrorist. People that go around forcing other people to be happy....may be by using a bio weapon that makes people healthy.

Also...the Fred saberhagen series Berzerkers where some race tried to create a perfectly peaceful and happy race and yep the ones it worked on just laid down with smiles on their faces while the ones it didn't work on went fully fucking Klingon and on a galactic level planet killing spree...it goes on for 10 for 20 books.

There are numerous stories where some wise guys try to make things better and end up genociding thier selves or worse turning into monsters.

There is bacteria that eats PCBs and turns it into safe inert material...and that koji fungus looks liken it could be really neat to play with. I expect more bio based solutions to our pollution problems in the future and also some serious bio fuck ups along the line.
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:26 am Also...the Fred saberhagen series Berzerkers where some race tried to create a perfectly peaceful and happy race and yep the ones it worked on just laid down with smiles on their faces while the ones it didn't work on went fully fucking Klingon and on a galactic level planet killing spree...it goes on for 10 for 20 books.
Cue one of my favorite quotes from the Matrix..

Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

RUBBISH wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:35 am If this is a bio weapon its a lame half assed incomplete weapon.
I disagree. A sick or wounded soldier/civilian is a larger burden on the system overall.

NoiseWiki wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:59 am
Personally I don't think its a bioweapon as such but if it were a better one the US has exposed its weakness... which is outright stupidity.
Could expand on the stupidity part? Whose specifically?

+1 on humans being a disease.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Indeterminacy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:56 am
Personally I don't think its a bioweapon as such but if it were a better one the US has exposed its weakness... which is outright stupidity.
A fairly large segment of the population has convinced itself that news of a pandemic is a hoax and is resistant to the common sense measures to prevent the spread of it.

Even my buddy is suggesting that this is a bioweapon but thinks herd immunity without a vaccine is somehow a reasonable approach. I'm like so you suspect this disease might be a bioweapon but you'd be willing to risk exposure to it because you that is as risky as waiting for a vaccine. He didn't seem to understand the difference in risk between direct exposure to a virus and that inactivated one in a vaccine.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Indeterminacy wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:56 am
RUBBISH wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:35 am If this is a bio weapon its a lame half assed incomplete weapon.
I disagree. A sick or wounded soldier/civilian is a larger burden on the system overall.

+1 on humans being a disease.

On yr reply to my part.
You're right and we can add the psychological social and financial damage its causing.

And that kinda plays into the other quote.

This virus has exposed how the medical network business model is a public health failure. All the closed rural and critical care hospitals over the last 10 years...no wonder theres a shortage of hospitals beds...duh you got rid of thousands by closing 100s of hospitals.
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:39 pm This virus has exposed how the medical network business model is a public health failure. All the closed rural and critical care hospitals over the last 10 years...no wonder theres a shortage of hospitals beds...duh you got rid of thousands by closing 100s of hospitals.
Universal health care is also slavery! Don't ya know!? oooo
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:16 pm
RUBBISH wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:39 pm This virus has exposed how the medical network business model is a public health failure. All the closed rural and critical care hospitals over the last 10 years...no wonder theres a shortage of hospitals beds...duh you got rid of thousands by closing 100s of hospitals.
Universal health care is also slavery! Don't ya know!? oooo

Freedom is like a trail through the forest.
The 'laws and regulations' of the trail allow you to enjoy the natural chaotic freedom of the forest without getting lost and hurt in all that freedom.
Sure you can go off trail and sure a mountain lion may attack you even on the trail but that's freedom.

Wrtie an essay on...
What is freedom and what does freedom mean to you?
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:12 pm
What is freedom and what does freedom mean to you?
Freedom is not having to worry about dying from trivial illnesses because your tax collecting government doesn't cover basic healthcare?

As opposed to the freedom to die alone in the wilderness but by wilderness I mean a trailer park. elephant
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

NoiseWiki wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:59 am ...... exposed its weakness... which is outright stupidity.
And the amplification of idiots through social cancer only amplifies the amplified stupidity in a feedback loop of amplified stupidity.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Indeterminacy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:17 am
NoiseWiki wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:59 am ...... exposed its weakness... which is outright stupidity.
And the amplification of idiots through social cancer only amplifies the amplified stupidity in a feedback loop of amplified stupidity.
And its name is Parler