Re: Currently Reading

Post by WhiteWarlock »

banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

i'm on my third books of prose poems by ian seed. they're cool

Existentialist
Revisiting the city of my student days, I went into the multistory bookshop where I had once worked. I was surprised to see that it was full of antique and second-hand books instead of its previous glossy selection. Perhaps now it is trying to be more 'authentic', I thought, more about the love of literature than money. But the whole atmosphere was one of a funeral. None of the booksellers laughed or joked anymore, and the shop was almost deserted. The new manager -- who had previously worked for the Arts Council before being made redundant -- ignored me as if my presence were a threat. By his side stood a plump, grey-haired woman. It took me a few moments to recognize her as the young assistant I had once had a crush on. 'We don't know what happens to us after our deaths,' she said to me, 'but we certainly won't be able to make love.' That evening I accepted the invitation to share her bed. I no longer desired her, but it was one way to defy the manager and his insistence on authenticity.
Ian Seed, New York Hotel
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

He does the police in different voices
the poem's success is primarily due to a lack of tonal center making everything dissonant.

for some reason it reminds me of ricky gervais: do the silly dance. cunt.
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

dan-lyons-lab-rats.jpg
Viewed 1486 times
Currently reading Dan Lyons' "Lab Rats". Lyons is a co-writer of the show Silicon Valley and wrote a book previously titled "Disrupted". All of these works deal with the absurdity of the modern workplace, particularly in the tech world. He describes a lot of newer corporate practices as infantilizing and dehumanizing. Corporations themselves are run by doomsday cults made up of idiots and snake oil salesmen that create environments of paranoia and fear. It's fascinating, amusing, and horrifying, all at once.
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

Outside the Circles of Time is the fifth volume in the series of Grant's Typhonian Trilogies. This is a work that covers an extremely wide area and exposes - to quote from the jacket of the 1980 edition - "a network more complex than was ever imagined: a network not unlike H.P. Lovecraft's dark vision of sinister forces lurking at the rim of the universe". Outside the Circles of Time explores a complex of such ideas, from Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine, Crowley's The Book of the Law, Lovecraft's Necronomicon, and Frater Achad's researches. It also explores the work of Soror Andahadna, a contemporary Priestess of Maat whose work has parallels with that of Frater Achad some decades previously when he announced the inauguration of the Aeon of Maat in 1948.
Myths and legends are of the past, but Maat should not be thought of in terms of past or future aeons. Maat is present now for those who, knowing the xe2x80x98sacred alignmentsxe2x80x99 and the xe2x80x98Gateway of Inbetweennessxe2x80x99, experience the Word ever coming, ever emaning, from the Mouth, in the ever new and ever present forms that are continually being generated from the mystical Atu or House of Maat, the Ma-atu . . .
But the book is not simply or even primarily about the Aeon of Maat. It is a potent weaving of a host of apparently diverse strands into a broad, deep and powerful current. Though Grantxe2x80x99s volumes in the Typhonian Trilogies have each a unique flavour, Outside the Circles of Time seemed to herald a jump into a different dimension.
http://www.n01ze.com/FTP/Grant%20-%20Ou ... 20Time.pdf
Archiving...
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

The theory and practice of Teutonic magick, a style of magick of particular interest to anyone of Northern European descent. The focus of the book is primarily on the Elder Furhark, the magickal rune alphabet. Gundarsson explains runic divination, rune magick, rituals for carving rune-tines and more.
http://www.othroerirkindred.com/resourc ... 0Magic.pdf
Teutonic Religion:
http://www.fatuma.net/text/Gundarsson-T ... ligion.pdf
Archiving...
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

"With more than 400 entries and 80 black-and-white photos, this resource explores what many believe are the sources of evilxe2x80x94demons or devils. Demons, as defined here, are xe2x80x9clower agents of evil,xe2x80x9d having many guises and operating under many names with many purposes. The book does a fine job of walking the reader through all the mythology; if readers are looking for a strictly Christian interpretation of demonology, itxe2x80x99s not here. Key topics include the types of demons and history of demonology, possession and historical cases, todayxe2x80x99s demonologists and exorcists, forms and means of confronting demons, and demons in popular culture, different cultures, and many religious traditions. Entries are organized Axe2x80x93Z, and most conclude with a short title list of further reading. Additionally, a concise, unannotated bibliography is included at the end of the work. Guiley is a leading authority and author on numerous paranormal topics and has appeared on TV and radio shows. She feels everyone needs to be informed about demons, and with this title, she wants to xe2x80x9copen further avenues of inquiry on the subject of the dark side.xe2x80x9d The work is a thorough reference on an arcane subject and is valuable for its many historical accounts of demons or devils and their arts. Guiley is sometimes criticized for her lack of skepticism, but she has produced a helpful resource for readers who need an overview. It will be used in public and academic libraries by patrons who are interested in demonology."
http://the-eye.eu/public/concen.org/Man ... nology.pdf
Archiving...
WhiteWarlock
Merzowie

Post by WhiteWarlock »

"Sexuality and the occult arts have long been associated in the western imagination, but it was not until the nineteenth century that a large and sophisticated body of literature on sexual magic--the use of sex as a source of magical power--emerged. This book, the first history of western sexual magic as a modern spiritual tradition, places these practices in the context of the larger discourse surrounding sexuality in American and European society over the last 150 years to discover how sexual magic was transformed from a terrifying medieval nightmare of heresy and social subversion into a modern ideal of personal empowerment and social liberation. Focusing on a series of key figures including American spiritualist Paschal Beverly Randolph, Aleister Crowley, Julius Evola, Gerald Gardner, and Anton LaVey, Hugh Urban traces the emergence of sexual magic out of older western esoteric traditions including Gnosticism and Kabbalah, which were progressively fused with recently-discovered eastern traditions such as Hindu and Buddhist Tantra. His study gives remarkable new insight into sexuality in the modern era, specifically on issues such as the politics of birth control, the classification of sexual "deviance," debates over homosexuality and feminism, and the role of sexuality in our own new world of post-modern spirituality, consumer capitalism, and the Internet."
http://the-eye.eu/public/concen.org/Hug ... xualis.pdf
Archiving...