Currently Reading

Whatever

Moderator: Modulators

RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: Currently Reading

Post by RUBBISH »

Finishing up this. Good strangeness.
Could have been even darker and more gruesome I think. I like its its a fun book. I could see it being a graphic novel or video game maybe.

Dream London by Tony Ballantyne
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/175 ... eam-london

In Dream London the city changes a little every night and the people change a little every day. Captain Jim Wedderburn has looks, style and courage by the bucketful. Hexe2x80x99s adored by women, respected by men and feared by his enemies. Hexe2x80x99s the man to find out who has twisted London into this strange new world, and he knows it. But the towers are growing taller, the parks have hidden themselves away and the streets form themselves into strange new patterns. There are people sailing in from new lands down the river, new criminals emerging in the East End and a path spiralling down to another world. Everyone is changing, no one is who they seem to be, and Captain Jim Wedderburn is beginning to understand that hexe2x80x99s not the man he thought he was...
place holder
pumpingyrmom
Noise Person

Post by pumpingyrmom »

RUBBISH wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:51 pm
pumpingyrmom wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:05 pm Been on a Houellebecq kick these last few months

Currently reading Mad by Jonathan Bowden
I tried Houellebecq and it didn't click.
That happens sometimes. Wasn't the right time for my mood.
Still have several books of his I haven't bothered to start.

Bowden has a thing on Lovecraft that's probably worth checking out. Another layer of right fringe strangeness for the mythos.

Whoa....yeah I definitely need that
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

pumpingyrmom wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:38 pm
pumpingyrmom wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:05 pm Been on a Houellebecq kick these last few months

Currently reading Mad by Jonathan Bowden

Bowden has a thing on Lovecraft that's probably worth checking out. Another layer of right fringe strangeness for the mythos.

If you're interested in Lovecraft studies Robert m price and his crypt of Cthulhu are the authoritative sources.

https://necropress.com/the-publications ... f-cthulhu/

Archive.org and a few other places have some free versions of CoC available...do a search.
place holder
pumpingyrmom
Noise Person

Post by pumpingyrmom »

RUBBISH wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:36 am

If you're interested in Lovecraft studies Robert m price and his crypt of Cthulhu are the authoritative sources.

Archive.org and a few other places have some free versions of CoC available...do a search.

This is right up my alley ...thank you sir
pumpingyrmom
Noise Person

Post by pumpingyrmom »

RUBBISH wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:36 am

Forgot to mention I've had the same experience w Bernhard. Came back a year later or whatever it was and was just smitten. I'm sure the same has happened for you countless times.
pumpingyrmom
Noise Person

Post by pumpingyrmom »

Have been balls deep in some Wakefield Press titles. Cannot recommend them highly enough...tiny paperbacks of uniform size and quality, almost always a reissue or newly translated version of a forgotten piece of European surrealism.

I prefer to keep books of short stories unfinished for as long as i can, as I love knowing there is still something inside that is unknown and new to me.

Reading the Hashish Club now, which is blessed with some fantastic ink illustrations by Kubin.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Now reading Clark Ashton Smith
(The great 3 - H.P. Lovecraft R.E. Howard and C.A. Smith)

A massive gallery of his art.
His sculptures are creepy idols and fetishes...good stuff
http://www.eldritchdark.com/galleries/by-cas/

Now reading Zothique
From wiki.
Zothique is a collection of fantasy short stories by Clark Ashton Smith, edited by Lin Carter. It was first published in paperback by Ballantine Books as the sixteenth volume of its Ballantine Adult Fantasy series in June 1970. It was the first themed collection of Smith's works assembled by Carter for the series. The stories were originally published in various fantasy magazines in the 1930s, notably Weird Tales.
pumpingyrmom wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:57 pm

I prefer to keep books of short stories unfinished for as long as i can, as I love knowing there is still something inside that is unknown and new to me.
Clark Ashton Smith, Lord Dunsany, & Lin Carter all have that Lovecraftian short story feeling that you want to hang on to. Jack Vances Dying Earth series of short stories also have that feeling.
Brian McNoughtons the throne of bones is a wicked morbid set of stories that you don't to end.
All of these Lovecraftian level or more fantastical.

This collection is so good.
15925240482131109224693.jpg
place holder
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Current non fiction reading..

A History of the Arab Peoples
by Albert Hourani

From goodreads.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/854 ... ab_Peoples

Encyclopedic and panoramic in its scope, this fascinating work chronicles the rich spiritual, political, and cultural institutions of Arab history through 13 centuries.

No region in the world today is more important than the Middle East: no people more misunderstood than the Arabs. In this definitive masterwork, distinguished Oxford historian Albert Hourani offers the most lucid, enlightening history ever written on the subject. From the rise of Islam to the Palestinian issue, from the Prophet Mohammed to Mu'ammar al-Qadhafi. A History of the Arab Peoples chronicles the rich spiritual, political and cultural institutions of this civilization through thirteen centuries of war, peace, literature and religion. Lauded by authorities, encyclopedic and panoramic in its scope, here is a remarkable window on today's conflicts and on the future of a glorious and troubled land.
place holder
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Reprint of a 1938 book
0622201154_HDR.jpg
Couldn't pass this one up.
Illustrated!
0622201153_HDR.jpg
place holder
pumpingyrmom
Noise Person

Post by pumpingyrmom »

RUBBISH wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:35 pm Now reading Clark Ashton Smith
(The great 3 - H.P. Lovecraft R.E. Howard and C.A. Smith)

A massive gallery of his art.
His sculptures are creepy idols and fetishes...good stuff
http://www.eldritchdark.com/galleries/by-cas/

Now reading Zothique
From wiki.
Zothique is a collection of fantasy short stories by Clark Ashton Smith, edited by Lin Carter. It was first published in paperback by Ballantine Books as the sixteenth volume of its Ballantine Adult Fantasy series in June 1970. It was the first themed collection of Smith's works assembled by Carter for the series. The stories were originally published in various fantasy magazines in the 1930s, notably Weird Tales.
pumpingyrmom wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Clark Ashton Smith, Lord Dunsany, & Lin Carter all have that Lovecraftian short story feeling that you want to hang on to. Jack Vances Dying Earth series of short stories also have that feeling.
Brian McNoughtons the throne of bones is a wicked morbid set of stories that you don't to end.
All of these Lovecraftian level or more fantastical.

This collection is so good.

Ooooh good recs man...have never heard of McNoughton. Smith I have a collection of, I think Dark Eidolon. Never finished as preferred :mrgreen:

Thanks for reminding me...literally stuffing shit into an overnight bag to work upstate for a few days.