New law...felony for using samples?

Whatever

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: New law...felony for using samples?

Post by NoiseWiki »

While Public Knowledge announced that that they xe2x80x9cdo not see the need for further criminal penalties for copyright infringement,xe2x80x9d the group noted that the bill is narrowly tailored and avoids criminalizing users and streamers who may include unlicensed works as part of their streaming content. The group also expressed appreciation for Senator Tillisxe2x80x99 decision to release the text of the Act, and xe2x80x9chis leadership in bringing in consumer groups to the table, listening to our concerns, and working to prevent risk to end users and legitimate streamers and streaming platforms.xe2x80x9d
https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2020/12/15/t ... id=128284/
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Look up Thom tillis and tell me how good and trustworthy he is.

But yeah the music industry is fucked
place holder
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:15 pm
While Public Knowledge announced that that they xe2x80x9cdo not see the need for further criminal penalties for copyright infringement,xe2x80x9d the group noted that the bill is narrowly tailored and avoids criminalizing users and streamers who may include unlicensed works as part of their streaming content. The group also expressed appreciation for Senator Tillisxe2x80x99 decision to release the text of the Act, and xe2x80x9chis leadership in bringing in consumer groups to the table, listening to our concerns, and working to prevent risk to end users and legitimate streamers and streaming platforms.xe2x80x9d
https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2020/12/15/t ... id=128284/
Ok wait...the article says there are already laws covering this. It's already felonious theft among other things.
What criminal steaming services?
What are they even talking about...Nextflix? Hubu? Yootube?
This doesn't make a lot of sense.
And again the person at the head of this is not a good person.

I think this is gonna come back to bite us in the ass.
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

^I know that you can occasionally find full movies on YouTube if you look long enough. Usually theyxe2x80x99re xe2x80x9cDMCA-proofedxe2x80x9d by making the screen smaller, flipping the image, altering audio, etc. It does happen, though if I had to guess the main culprit is foreign pirates (just google xe2x80x9c[movie title] Hindi subs 1080xe2x80x9d) that often DO ask for your credit card info and other shady shit, though sometimes itxe2x80x99s for free, especially if itxe2x80x99s anime-related.

For the record, I agree this law is too broad and poorly written, but I donxe2x80x99t see itxe2x80x99s ramifications, realistically, for noise. People have been sampling with and without consent for decades and rarely does anyone give a shit (unless millions of dollars are at stake, good luck with that). I also think the guy in the video is clearly upset and his judgement is clouded because of it. You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar, so to speak.

Whatxe2x80x99s funny about all this is, even if this somehow succeeds and topples all of streaming aside from Netflix, Disney, etc. there will always be torrents where people can actually OWN a digital copy of whatever their heart desires and legally therexe2x80x99s next to nothing anyone can do to stop it.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Ah...torrents.
I used soulseek but never got into to torrents

I suppose if I were somebody that hosted torrents I should probably be a bit worried.

I'm not worried about felonies of this nature at all...
I am a proud and blatant abuser and thief of media!

I am a tad bit concerned(maybe amused is a better word)about a new $90 million dollar law suit I'm gonna be named in along with Google and YouTube.
Yeah...ninety million...lol
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

So if people have been caught and charged then why do we need this law?
Last year, the Department of Justice charged two computer programmers from Las Vegas for illegal pirating thousands of hours of television shows from Netflix (NFLX) and Hulu and streaming them on websites called iStreamItAll and Jetflicks. One man admitted to earning more than $1 million from his piracy operations.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/tech/ill ... index.html
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:55 am So if people have been caught and charged then why do we need this law?
Last year, the Department of Justice charged two computer programmers from Las Vegas for illegal pirating thousands of hours of television shows from Netflix (NFLX) and Hulu and streaming them on websites called iStreamItAll and Jetflicks. One man admitted to earning more than $1 million from his piracy operations.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/tech/ill ... index.html

Yeah that's one problem with this.
place holder
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

Ok well what's this...this act is buried in corona virus relief bill.
Sure nothing sneaky and creepy about that...NOT.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/12/c ... ght-battle
place holder
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

will reviewing or criticizing music tv or films become even be more difficult?

https://gizmodo.com/youtube-s-copyright ... 1845934339
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:46 am will reviewing or criticizing music tv or films become even be more difficult?

https://gizmodo.com/youtube-s-copyright ... 1845934339
This has been an ongoing problem.. awhile back a video of my set I posted on youtube got restricted until i edited out some copyrighted music that was being played between sets.. and it was obscure experimental music too..