New law...felony for using samples?

Whatever

Moderator: Modulators

RUBBISH
Merzbish

New law...felony for using samples?

Post by RUBBISH »

This is framed so it seems criminal cartels are the target...yeah but no.
This is bad.
T(h)om Tillis is a paid creep.
https://www.tillis.senate.gov/2020/12/t ... anizations

Edited

So what's this all about? ;thinking:
Last edited by RUBBISH on Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Re: New law...felony for using samples

Post by FAP »

Totally misleading topic title uhuh
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

FAP wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:23 pm Totally misleading topic title uhuh
What should it be? :D

I'm gonna move this...this is MISC
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:10 pm
FAP wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:23 pm Totally misleading topic title uhuh
What should it be? :D

I'm gonna move this...this is MISC
Yeah the title is pretty misleading because it really has nothing to do with "sampling" it has to do with "streaming".

The problem as I see is if they language in this law would mean that let's say some random cafe is playing a spotify stream that their customers can hear does that mean they get a felony?

I may be ignorant but are there bootleg streaming services? Is a download a stream? Are they going after anything resembling piratebay?

It sounds like to me that since it's probably hard to recoup any money from for profit pirates that instead they want to have the taxpayer pay to jail people instead.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Re: New law...felony for using samples?

Post by RUBBISH »

Band camp
YouTube
Sound cloud
Those are streaming according to this bill.
That means any Plunderphonic stuff or tracks with movie samples are subject to this.
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:28 pm Band camp
YouTube
Sound cloud
That means any Plunderphonic stuff or tracks with movie samples are subject to this.
Yes those are streaming services but they aren't "large-scale criminal streaming services" .. I mean for example.. and this has been under attack lately but those services are not culpable for the content their users upload.

It's not like youtube is advertising come watch the latest movies here for a fraction of the cost and is purposely providing stolen content. Although I assume this may have something to do with FB recently stated that using their FB Live to broadcast any kind of music was not going to be allowed. Even though FB is not currently culpable and as far as I can tell would not be even under this law if it was passed because they are not directly profiting from it and well technically aren't a criminal enterprise (yet)
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

NoiseWiki wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:04 pm
RUBBISH wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:28 pm Band camp
YouTube
Sound cloud
Yes those are streaming services but they aren't "large-scale criminal streaming services" .. I mean for example.. and this has been under attack lately but those services are not culpable for the content their users upload.

It's not like youtube is advertising come watch the latest movies here for a fraction of the cost and is purposely providing stolen content. Although I assume this may have something to do with FB recently stated that using their FB Live to broadcast any kind of music was not going to be allowed. Even though FB is not currently culpable and as far as I can tell would not be even under this law if it was passed because they are not directly profiting from it and well technically aren't a criminal enterprise (yet)
Right right.
I was just wondering how draconian this could be if other protections are altered or temivwd altogether
place holder
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

RUBBISH wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:28 pm That means any Plunderphonic stuff or tracks with movie samples are subject to this.
I still think that is a tortured interpretation of what they are going after. I don't think they mean some piddly noise track with a hellraiser sample uploaded to Soundcloud.

But that is the problem with these kinda laws is the specifics and if they can be abused.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Also this only applies in the USA.. good luck with it in China or elsewhere although I suppose if they can tie it to a person inside the US even iof the content is hosted outside the country that would still apply.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Well okay I watched the video.. but again the language in the law refers to large scale criminal blah blah.. not twitch not youtube not some 13 year old who happens to play a few seconds of the latest track while talking about Minecraft or whatever.. I dunno but yeah the music industry what a bunch of fucking aholes