Now Playing

Whatever

Moderator: Modulators

FAP
Merzwow

Re: Now Playing

Post by FAP »

Refreshingly tight prog rock gem from Northern Ireland. I've been diving down the prog/psych rabbit hole as of late and out of the ten or so bands I've come across, these were the only guys who went on to do more than two albums. There's a point where novelty ends and talent needs to take over: these guys had it where a lot of other bands didn't.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

I've mentioned this one before as a sort of benchmark for the ill-defined niche of "accidental" noise. I think for the most part it still holds up, though it only recently came to my attention that the last track was arranged in a musique concrète-type style: In other words, it's not entirely accidental. Even if you don't like the soundscape parts, the spoken word interviews are pretty entertaining and kind of fascinating from a historical perspective.

In a similar vein (i.e. "accidental" noise) here's a collection of Hungarian steam locomotive sounds the Avant Garde Project reissued unofficially: they(?) referred to it as "found" avant-garde:
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

FAP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:31 pm as a sort of benchmark for the ill-defined niche of "accidental" noise.
What do you mean by accidental noise?
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Indeterminacy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:41 am
FAP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:31 pm as a sort of benchmark for the ill-defined niche of "accidental" noise.
What do you mean by accidental noise?
Non-noise recordings that could be reasonably misinterpreted or recontextualized as noise; “found” noise.
Here’s a good example: it’s really just field recordings, but they’re so inherently “harsh”-sounding (and unintentionally distorted by the tape recorder) they sound like harsh noise.

FLORIDA MAN
Noise Artist

Post by FLORIDA MAN »

I just heard this yesterday - excellent old school hardcore

FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

^What a coincidence! I just finished listening to the The Sexual (Japan)'s complete discography. I'll be frank, though: that Shaved Ape tape sounds much better.

Anyways, here's something completely different:

This is essentially a mixtape of DJ commentary and sound system noises from the late 80's through the mid 90's.
I don't claim to know jack nor squat about the Manchester, UK dance scene. It's interesting, though, how the presentation of this music is just as integral to the experience as the music itself: quite far removed from my experience of "DJ's" who just plug in their iPhone at a wedding reception and leave it at that.
This comes from a new-ish label called Death Is Not The End, which appears to put out a lot of ultra-obscure archival recordings of anything from gospel to pirate radio transmissions and then some. I can't say I like everything I've heard from them thus far, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on them.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Don’t let the title fool you: it’s only “electronic“ music in so far it’s a guy noodling on an electronic keyboard. this is OK for what it is, but the label implying he’s some sort of legendary pioneer of the avant-garde in Africa is just plain wrong. Play some Hailu Mergia records instead: you’ll get more [enjoyment] out of them.
FLORIDA MAN
Noise Artist

Post by FLORIDA MAN »

Blue Spectrum's youtube channel is a wellspring of aural curiosities

FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Criminally obscure noise rock from Croatia. I’ve typically found other albums in the genre to be sloppy or meandering to a fault, but this is easily the most concise, solid album I’ve heard to date that bears the ‘noise rock’ descriptor. Start with the track “Buzzing in my Head” to get a good idea of what this album’s like.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

I needed this a month ago.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend