Getting Old

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Getting Old

Post by NoiseWiki »

Fire of the Mind wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:32 pm I should have clarified: In headphones. After a certain point you just start to lose nuance. A stereo or live setup is an entirely different question.
Ear fatigue is a thing no matter what age you are.

On that note I read the Chris Connolly book about Ministry where he recounts Al Jorgensen's "process" of snorting meth and listening to mixes at top volume and he thought there had to be a better way to work than that. LOL. YA THINK?
Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Post by Fire of the Mind »

It does scan that he would do that. I suppose stimulants would *theoretically* make one more attentive to fine details, but they also incline one to mental hobbyhorses which get in the way of seeing the big picture or, y'know, realising that you don't have to follow through on very stupid ideas. Which, again, is very Al.

Although I have gone over a single mix on a single song five hours at a go essentially figuring out what kind of reverb to use on what instrument and what microtonal tuning to use, so I really shouldn't talk.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Fire of the Mind wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:11 am I'm generally absolutely fine with listening to horrid microphone feedback like Prurient's "Roman Shower"
Man, I'm not even 30 yet and I still can't get through Roman Shower. That track's a bona fide endurance test.

Somewhat related: I've definitely been less interested in noise overall from a listener's perspective. Most of what I listen to now is jazz, psych, world, folk singing, indie, garage rock... all tastes molded from years of music discovery. I listen to new [to me] music nearly every day and maybe like 10% of it is noise.
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

FAP wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am jazz
Do tell.
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

FAP wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am
Fire of the Mind wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:11 am I'm generally absolutely fine with listening to horrid microphone feedback like Prurient's "Roman Shower"
Man, I'm not even 30 yet and I still can't get through Roman Shower. That track's a bona fide endurance test.

Somewhat related: I've definitely been less interested in noise overall from a listener's perspective. Most of what I listen to now is jazz, psych, world, folk singing, indie, garage rock... all tastes molded from years of music discovery. I listen to new [to me] music nearly every day and maybe like 10% of it is noise.

Jello biafra of the dead Kennedy's said if you wanna make good punk music listen to (I'm paraphrasing can't recall the bands he mentioned)...38 special BTO Madonna Prince or some similar very non punk music.

I don't listen to noise unless I know the person or its nostalgia or someone sends me something new noise wise. I don't seek out noise. I make noise.

But yes listen to more music to make better noise.
place holder
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Re: Getting Older or It Ain't Age, It's Mileage.

Post by Indeterminacy »

Notice my subject re-titling.

Being of a certain age adds perspective to the fractional nature of aging over time.
At 21 years of age one year equals 1/21st of your time here, at 45 years 1 year equals 1/45th of your time here.

Being reminded of old injuries or the general deterioration of the body ( arthritis sucks ) on a daily basis may make you feel older but for the most part being old is a state of mind.
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Indeterminacy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:39 am
Do tell.
off the top of my head:
-Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
-Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
-Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
-Hailu Mergia - Wede Harer Guzo
-Chick Corea & Steve Kujala - Voyage
-Oliver Nelson - The Blues and The Abstract Truth

Still learning, but I generally gravitate towards the smooth/modal stuff more than other styles.
Shit like Borbetomagus and Naked City have their place, but I need to be in a very specific mood to enjoy them.
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

EDIT: if you post noise on the forum I will listen to it.

And yes jazz can be good listening also classical. Not even the obscure esoteric stuff but just the well known standards.

Sitar and Indian music in general.
Gamelan is amazing but not the most mellow music.
Both of these types of music can sound very modern and futuristic.
Found this on vinyl as teen...I think it's lost now but this I found a few years ago.
Also cassette tape nostalgia makes me happy. New tapes are cool but I love just holding 30 or 40 even 50 year old tapes
1618093601675723332004.jpg

As corny as nostalgia can be its really great to be able to find a moment or two of joy from some cheap tiny object from the past. The Japanese probably have a word for that feeling of joy you get from finding vintage Smurf figure at the thrift store for 25 cents.
place holder
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

FAP wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:56 am
Indeterminacy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:39 am
Do tell.
off the top of my head:
-Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
-Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
-Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
-Hailu Mergia - Wede Harer Guzo
-Chick Corea & Steve Kujala - Voyage
-Oliver Nelson - The Blues and The Abstract Truth

Still learning, but I generally gravitate towards the smooth/modal stuff more than other styles.
Shit like Borbetomagus and Naked City have their place, but I need to be in a very specific mood to enjoy them.
Dwemmy would be proud.

And, I'll add
abstract truth.jpg
Viewed 1331 times
Fire of the Mind
Noiser

Post by Fire of the Mind »

RUBBISH wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:41 am
FAP wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am

Jello biafra of the dead Kennedy's said if you wanna make good punk music listen to (I'm paraphrasing can't recall the bands he mentioned)...38 special BTO Madonna Prince or some similar very non punk music.

I don't listen to noise unless I know the person or its nostalgia or someone sends me something new noise wise. I don't seek out noise. I make noise.

But yes listen to more music to make better noise.
Yeah, absolutely. A lot of how I approach what I do is actually heavily informed by discussions and analyses of techniques in jazz, pop music, and even hip-hop, which are *way* far afield of my own work, but the way that rhythm, musical phrasing, sonic architecture, performance and the like are approached can be really informative and inspire all sorts of new approaches. For example: Apply the use of odd, off-kilter polyrhythms to create a "drunk" groove with a specific contour in soul and fusion drumming and apply that to how you cut a loop or set up a delay relative to other pulses and repetitions and all sorts of new avenues open up. Also, just, the soundplay in great music just as in great noise keeps the spark of a love for sound itself alive in you, I think. The recognition that music and noise are, in fact, a kind of magic. (Corny, maybe, but also something I entirely believe to be true.)