Bandcamp has been bought by Epic Games

Whatever

Moderator: Modulators

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Re: Bandcamp has been bought by Epic Games

Post by NoiseWiki »

Social_Drift wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:42 am it's about people using the NFT technology to fund pyramid schemes, and how that was a natural consequence of some of the insane ideas promoting it as a utopian idea, along with bitcoin. didn't watch it all. very f weird.

dunno if you get a NFT proving your digital data trail has not been tampered with. don't see why not? you just need data analytics good enough, right: this is a real big brother announcement! etc.
There is going to be overlap between the metaverse and NFT but neither needs the other to exist.

There have been several examples of people getting caught with stolen crypto.. but the technology doesn't seem to prevent crypto from getting stolen but once it has been stolen its hard to launder and spend without it getting traced to you
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Pigswill wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:31 pm
Tencent owns about 9% of Spotify, a service known for paying a pittance towards an artist for each play they get. And given Epic's description of using Bandcamp to create a "creator economy", especially in the wake of the Apple fallout, I think they're going to find a way to gut it and turn it into a part of a walled garden
Bandcamp is an out of the box creator economy. The real issue here is will they pay better than spotify and will those profits scale with the popularity of successful games. IE for stock music music you might pay a standard fee that is the same regardless of how much money the game makes. It'd be great if Epic could scale the royalties based on how popular a game is that your music is used in.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

NoiseWiki wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:30 am
Social_Drift wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:42 am There have been several examples of people getting caught with stolen crypto.. but the technology doesn't seem to prevent crypto from getting stolen but once it has been stolen its hard to launder and spend without it getting traced to you
yeah that makes sense.

identity theft in the metaverse haha
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

NoiseWiki wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:37 am
Pigswill wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:31 pm
Tencent owns about 9% of Spotify, a service known for paying a pittance towards an artist for each play they get. And given Epic's description of using Bandcamp to create a "creator economy", especially in the wake of the Apple fallout, I think they're going to find a way to gut it and turn it into a part of a walled garden
Bandcamp is an out of the box creator economy. The real issue here is will they pay better than spotify and will those profits scale with the popularity of successful games. IE for stock music music you might pay a standard fee that is the same regardless of how much money the game makes. It'd be great if Epic could scale the royalties based on how popular a game is that your music is used in.
That's a good point about Bandcamp already being a creator economy, though it works independently of something like the Epic Games Store. I'm assuming that there's going to be some kind of integration where someone would need an Epic Games account to access music and features. Apparently the game store does offer some DRM-free games, so maybe that won't be the case overall.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Pigswill wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:51 pm
NoiseWiki wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:37 am
That's a good point about Bandcamp already being a creator economy, though it works independently of something like the Epic Games Store. I'm assuming that there's going to be some kind of integration where someone would need an Epic Games account to access music and features. Apparently the game store does offer some DRM-free games, so maybe that won't be the case overall.
It'sa no doubt a complicated issue .. some games have setting sin them to turn off licensed music so that your streamed audio won't get muted. In a similar vein I was posting these AI animated faces that sing along to snippets of popular music. Well I can only assume that they licensed it with permission for people to post the fuckign shit otherwise what's the point? Which I did and facebook would mute the audio then later some were unmuted.

My hope would be that bandcamp would reamin essentially the same except there'd be the option to license your music for games and then the music would appear in the Unreal store. Now with Bandcamp as is if you decide to remove your content then it's removed but I wonder if a game has licensed your music if for whatever reason youw anted if you'd beable to do that or not... probably not
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

yee probably saw this
Queueing is just the latest in a series of recent app improvements designed to make Bandcamp collections more valuable, and to encourage more fans to directly support artists. Fans can also download albums and tracks for offline listening, plus we’ve added support for CarPlay, Android Auto, and Chromecast. We’ve also made checkout faster for the million+ Bandcamp fans with a saved credit card.
so far so good?
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

wait for it...