ZippyShare shutting down

Whatever

Moderator: Modulators

FAP
Merzwow

ZippyShare shutting down

Post by FAP »

zippyshare wrote:Hey Folks,

We’ve decided that we’re shutting down the project at the end of the month. Please make backups of your important files, you have about two weeks to do so. Until then, the site will run without any changes.

There are several reasons for the closure:

– Since 2006 we have been on the market in an unchanged form, that is, as ad financed/free file hosting. However, you have been visiting in less and less over the years, as the arguably very simple formula of the services we offer is slowly running out of steam. I guess all the competing file storage service companies on the market look better, offer better performance and more features. No one needs a dinosaur like us anymore.

– All sorts of adblockers, whether built into the browser, as add-ons, or in the form of DNS services. Sure, we all use them, but they take away any control the site owner has over the site. Eventually we get to the point where a vicious cycle begins, in order to pay for the server infrastructure you are forced to place more and more ads, then users fire up more and more adblockers and we get to a point like today.

– Rising electricity prices. Over the past year, electricity prices have gone up 2.5 times, which, with a large number of servers, gives a significant increase in costs that we have no way to balance.

There are still a bunch of smaller reasons, but we could write a book on this, and probably no one would want to read it.

To sum it up, we can no longer afford to maintain the site.

You can send us any comments to (we’ll read them all, we’ll probably respond to just a few):
support@zippyshare.com

Thanks for being with us over the years.

See you in the depths of the Internet. o7

Leave a reply
cry_me_a_river.jpeg
Viewed 989 times
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Re: ZippyShare shutting down

Post by Indeterminacy »

What am I missing here? Where is the salt?
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Indeterminacy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:18 am What am I missing here? Where is the salt?
Kind if all of it, but this part in particular:
However, you have been visiting in less and less over the years, as the arguably very simple formula of the services we offer is slowly running out of steam. I guess all the competing file storage service companies on the market look better, offer better performance and more features. No one needs a dinosaur like us anymore.
Which essentially boils down to:
Waaaah it’s all your guys’ fault
It’s like guilt-tripping from “grandpa” if “grandpa” was a petulant teenager :roll:
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Good thing running this site costs me very little in its current state
Soloman Tump
Merzwow

Post by Soloman Tump »

Seriously, everything costs something, even if not you directly.

tbh i've never heard of ZippyShare but I guess every dog has their day.
Dismal electronics from Devon
https://intrusivesignals.blogspot.com/ :geek: