Latest album purchase(s)

Whatever

Moderator: Modulators

FAP
Merzwow

Re: Latest album purchase(s)

Post by FAP »

Indeterminacy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:29 am ALL SINS FORGIVEN.
:lol:
I ended up liking it better than BSS. My mom loves that album.

Speaking of, she would play back Buffalo Stance over and over again in the car when I was a kid. Surprisingly hard to find a CD of that album "in the wild" though easy enough online I suppose.

I'm aware she's done some kind of experimental jazz collaboration with some dude in recent years. Checked it out once but couldn't get into it. *shrug*
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

I wasn't aware of any collaboration myself... Mildly interested, but I don't have any expectations or real motivation. Maybe I'll look into it eventually. "some kind of experimental jazz collaboration", rightly or not, automatically makes me think of something in the vein of Diana Rogerson and Andrew Liles, or that album between John Paul Jones and Diamanda Galas. But I'm sure it's not that trippy or whacked out.

These came today:
I needed two. There's more on the way.
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

xc2xbe dead wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:52 pm "some kind of experimental jazz collaboration", rightly or not, automatically makes me think of something in the vein of Diana Rogerson and Andrew Liles
Andrew Liles is underrated. I can't get enough of that guy's stuff. Pretty excited that he's coming to New York with C93 this April.

Here's what I got this week:
20200119_020708.jpg
Laibach - Party Songs
Didn't realize that this came out a few months ago. Nothing too different from their Sound of Music release. It's mostly more North Korea praise (hence Party Songs), but it's definitely enjoyable.

Merzbow / Genesis P. Orridge - A Perfect Pain
Not my favorite project from either artist involved, but good to have in my collection since I enjoy both artists. This one's particularly disjointed because Genesis has tended to record himself doing spoken word, then would mail the tapes off to his collaborators to work with. It's one of the reasons why some of his contributions sound so one-sided sometimes: the musical collaborators are trying to build sound around these recordings rather than them blending together naturally. But with Merzbow, a lot of his contributions during collabs aren't really involved anyways. He just kind of jams out on his own, so sometimes he gets shoved into the background (the Full of Hell collab, or on "An Untroublesome Defencelessness", for example).

Coil - Stolen and Contaminated Songs
The latest Coil album to be reissued. Coil's been getting fresh vinyl pressings for just about everything lately, it seems. Stolen and Contaminated songs is excellent, so of course I had to get it. I can't wait for Musick to Play in the Dark and (hopefully) Live Four to get repressings soon.

Merzbow - Pulse Demon
This was weird to see at the record store. One of Merzbow's most popular records. This Relapse reissue has a foiled sheen, which was taken directly from Bludhoney's reissue of the album from only a year prior. Bludhoney sold out of their copies almost instantly (I didn't hear about it until much later), but the owner of that label has been very sick (possibly dead? Seems like nobody's heard anything lately). Then Relapse releases this one? Very strange.

Wax Chattels - Self-titled
Not sure about this one too much. I haven't listened to it yet. It was $5 new. It says it has guitarless guitar music. Cool art. The girl at the counter said that it's a killer album. Sold.

Errors - Lease of Life
Really interesting electronic rock album. The instruments are very electronic and polished. All of the vocals are long, drawn out, and drenched in reverb. The whole thing is enjoyable from start to finish. I haven't heard an album quite like it before

Dr. Onionskin - Sunman
I haven't heard this one yet either, but it was $5, categorized under "House", is by an artist named "Dr. Onionskin", and is a picture disc featuring some very 90s cyber-art. I had to get it.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

Social_Drift wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:28 am vomir's latest [i think?], and some "blackwave" metal -- striborg

ps i thought i bought the last one but there's nine left :lol: :lol:
the two metal tapes this came with are very pofressional... but the vomir tape is just a visually blank tape with 'vomir' written in pen on the case.

:D
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

The warren so far:
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

20200207_213533.jpg
Got the new Squarepusher album Be Up A Hello in the mail today along with the companion Vortrack single. So far, it's highly reminiscent of the stuff he's been doing since 2012's Ufabulum: really well-crafted DnB type stuff that focuses on musical progression while maintaining high energy. Really clean production considering the amount of different sounds going on. I'll need to listen to this one a whole lot more before I have a solid opinion on it
melko
Noiser

Post by melko »

Pigswill wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:45 am I haven't heard this one yet either, but it was $5, categorized under "House", is by an artist named "Dr. Onionskin", and is a picture disc featuring some very 90s cyber-art. I had to get it.
The artwork on this one is fantastic!
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Acquired throughout 2020 to now:
3D3A1917-5417-4B7B-B621-695EAEF95A98.jpeg
RUBBISH
Merzbish

Post by RUBBISH »

FAP wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:06 pm Acquired throughout 2020 to now:
Some good stuff. I got that judas priest on tape this year.
place holder
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Funny enough, I got the tape first years ago and it was my first exposure to JP. I was hooked from then on.