¾ dead
Merzwow

Re: Latest album purchase(s)

Post by ¾ dead »

RUBBISH wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:58 pm
xc2xbe dead wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:11 pm Image
Whats that about?
Looks fun.
It's an album of abject, booty-centric rap songs. It's great if you're into silly bedroom nonsense like Fossil Fuel. Anyway, the group were called Ypsilanti All-Stars. I first heard their music at a local show, some time in the mid-2000's. A band from Texas ("Bring Back the Guns", which is a very mid-2000's indie/alt rock band name if there ever was one) were playing with a local group who I used to go see a lot. Almost no one came out to this show. It was a little lonesome/depressing, actually.

At any rate, this band put YAS's songs on the PA while they set up. The stupid booty-raps were amusingly weird and out of leftfield, and served to lighten the mood. I had no idea who they were, though. Fast-forward several years, and I still occasionally thought about those booty-raps and tried Googling them from memory. Eventually, I did find them. Apparently, the songs were discovered on a found tape, which got released on CD by "Found Magazine" or something. There's even a corny acoustic guitar-comedian who has a bit about it on YouTube. It was something of a micro-sensation of the myspace era, I guess.

At any rate, I've had the CD in my Discogs wantlist forever, but never bothered to order it until recently, when I went through and ordered several things that'd been in there a long time, and removed some others I wasn't interested in anymore.

Newest arrivals as of this afternoon:
Patrick Godfrey - Ancient Ships (LP, Apparition Music). I used to watch an anthology series on Cartoon Network in the late 90's called O Canada. They mostly showed NFB shorts. Anyway, that's where I first saw things like Bob & Margaret and The Big Snit. I really like the ending theme from "TBS", which I found out, many-many-many years later, had been composed by Patrick Godfrey. I've been aware of his early stuff for years since then, but never pulled the trigger on buying any of his physical releases until recently. I'm happy to finally own this, though I'd particularly like to track down the CD edition.

Christian Death - Catastrophe Ballet (LP, Contempo Records). I previously bought the CD version Contempo released. I've read that edition has the best-sounding master some years ago. I'm willing to believe it too, based on the few other editions I've heard. The extra tracks are throw-away fillers, but I already knew that.
Pigswill
Noise Artist

Post by Pigswill »

20200112_204113.jpg
I should probably post in this thread more. I get new stuff all the time. Here are the four records that I got today

The Black Dog Featuring Ofra Haza xe2x80x8e- Babylon
Old electronic dance music with a new age tinge. Pretty much what I expected from The Black Dog.

Otto von Schirach - Boombonic Plague
Really well-made instrumental EP of dirty, glitchy electronic. Also features a sample of Splack Pack's Shake That Ass Bitch, which is always hilarious. I'm always on the fence with Otto's work because he's an incredibly talented sound artist and programmer, but is also pretty big into gross-out sounds (at least from what I remember from years ago). He's behind some of the best parts on Skinny Puppy's album The Greater Wrong of the Right.

Rituals Into The Fire xe2x80x8e- Journey Through Darkness, Searching For The Sky...
I had to pick this one up because it hit a number of things for me: it was made locally, instruments listed included "Kawai R-50 programming" and the Korg DW-8000 (among a bunch of classical instruments), and Discogs said it was darkwave. Listening to it, though, it sounds like the musicians were really big into Enigma and The Cure. But it's well done. I'm glad I picked this one up.

AIDS Wolf - Very Friendly
Five remixes of AIDS Wolf's cover of Throbbing Gristle's Very Friendly. All of the mixes were good, especially the last one by Nautical Almanac that turned the track into a musique concrete trip. I love what they did with the vocals on that one.
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Ordered a copy of this .. mostly for the obnoxious lenticular hologram
image.png
Viewed 1679 times
https://www.discogs.com/Baby-Talk-Danci ... se/1813391
FAP
Merzwow

Post by FAP »

Purchases made over the past year, mostly made to replace tapes or fill gaps in my collection. Most of whatxe2x80x99s here should be obvious to decipher; if you want to know what a specific one is, just ask.
0DC225BC-4197-4E97-B2C8-DA0B2C8B788C.jpeg
238BAE71-F7EF-4E3D-A262-5F3F4148D223.jpeg
Indeterminacy
Merzwowow

Post by Indeterminacy »

ALL SINS FORGIVEN.

image.jpg
Viewed 1653 times
Volume is a fantastic thing,
Power and volume - Pete Townshend
¾ dead
Merzwow

Post by ¾ dead »

FAP wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:21 pm Purchases made over the past year, mostly made to replace tapes or fill gaps in my collection. Most of whatxe2x80x99s here should be obvious to decipher; if you want to know what a specific one is, just ask.
ImageImage

Hell yeah.
banned
Merzfinity

Post by banned »

vomir's latest [i think?], and some "blackwave" metal -- striborg

ps i thought i bought the last one but there's nine left :lol: :lol: