HNW question

No ideas, no changes, no development, no entertainment, and no remorse

Moderator: Modulators

pickle
Noise Person

Re: HNW question

Post by pickle »

i personally like a good hot dog. perhaps missing the point that there is a point is the point. even without the mustard.
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

pickle wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:08 am i personally like a good hot dog. perhaps missing the point that there is a point is the point. even without the mustard.
Sure you're missing the point and enjoying it. There is a point and then there's whatever point you like. Just paying for the hot dog, or thinking you have to go to a football game, pay for that and the hot dog. If that's your thing fine.
A man goes to a tool store to buy a chainsaw. The server sells him the top-of-the-line model, saying that it will cut through over 100 trees in one day.
The man takes the chainsaw home and begins working on the trees but after working for hours he only cuts down two trees.

xe2x80x9cHow can I cut for hours and hours and only finish two trees?xe2x80x9d he asks himself.

Next day the man brings the chainsaw back to the store and says it doesnxe2x80x99t work properly.

xe2x80x9cHmm, it looks okay,xe2x80x9d says the server, and starts the chainsaw.

The man jumps back in shock and cries, xe2x80x9cWhatxe2x80x99s that noise?xe2x80x9d
"Cage's 4'33" = 273 seconds xe2x88x92273.15xc2xb0 C = absolute zero."
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

I enjoy listening to HNW, typically 10 minutes is a minimum to establish a tilt in mind. Some textures are better at "actuating the clutch" so to speak, and ultimate long end of a beneficial listen will vary tremendously on my mindset and the sonic excitation of the room.
JLIAT wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 am The listening time for HNW is zero. If you are listening to it for some reason, aesthetic, whatever, you miss the point.

Listening time for drones is infinite. Both maker and listener fail in thus. The drone gives infinite difference in infinite sameness.

The Drone represents a spiritual attempt the Wall a materialist denial.
Such thoughts are like a china doll, that sounds so sweet when crushed underfoot.
When in doubt, add resistance.

http://www.rochambeau.net/
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

crochambeau wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:31 am I enjoy listening to HNW, typically 10 minutes is a minimum to establish a tilt in mind. Some textures are better at "actuating the clutch" so to speak, and ultimate long end of a beneficial listen will vary tremendously on my mindset and the sonic excitation of the room.
JLIAT wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:31 am The listening time for HNW is zero. If you are listening to it for some reason, aesthetic, whatever, you miss the point.

Listening time for drones is infinite. Both maker and listener fail in thus. The drone gives infinite difference in infinite sameness.

The Drone represents a spiritual attempt the Wall a materialist denial.
Such thoughts are like a china doll, that sounds so sweet when crushed underfoot.
To destroy a thing of beauty...

If I took delight from crushing china dolls underfoot I think I would/should seek medical help. And if these china dolls were not your own a good lawyer.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

JLIAT wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:36 am To destroy a thing of beauty...

If I took delight from crushing china dolls underfoot I think I would/should seek medical help.
If someone stepped upon a china doll, say wedged in a void upon a stone walk, and crushed it - would you have the wherewithall to enjoy the sound?

A moment lost in time.

Or would you parse that observation into a string of theoretical garbage about how the person who stepped upon the doll must have taken a sense of pleasure from the action?

I'm a gnat's whisker from splitting this portion of the thread into the shitpail that is MISC so it may stay on topic, dig?

NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

crochambeau wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:51 am I'm a gnat's whisker from splitting this portion of the thread into the shitpail that is MISC so it may stay on topic, dig?
Does seem like it's gotten away from the OP having to do with appropriate track durations :lol:
NoiseWiki
Wiki Bastard

Post by NoiseWiki »

Obviously there's no rule as to what's a proper track duration if so who is enforcing these rules? Is it the noise illuminati? Anyway personally I don't usually spend any time listening to music or noise and nothing else at the same time. The closest would be when I'm driving or sleeping and technically I'd say I listen to a multi hour HNW track every night that is being generated in realtime by my sound machine

JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

crochambeau wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:51 am
JLIAT wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:36 am To destroy a thing of beauty...

If I took delight from crushing china dolls underfoot I think I would/should seek medical help.
If someone stepped upon a china doll, say wedged in a void upon a stone walk, and crushed it - would you have the wherewithall to enjoy the sound?

A moment lost in time.

Or would you parse that observation into a string of theoretical garbage about how the person who stepped upon the doll must have taken a sense of pleasure from the action?

I'm a gnat's whisker from splitting this portion of the thread into the shitpail that is MISC so it may stay on topic, dig?
I've no idea why you posted the china doll thing to my serious reply to the OP. I'd certainly say my response was both serious and had some foundation.

So keeping it back on topic, some of those involved in noise and HNW have said that listening is not significant. Hence the now famous Vomir statement, but also from others, TNB, Paul Hegarty. They, and I agree see HNW as more (anti) conceptual, in that its a negative concept, so listening and duration are unimportant. That was my point, on topic. To see an aesthetic in such HNW is OK, as would be seeing an aesthetic in Duchamp's fountain, but would miss, deliberately or not, the point of the work.

Drone is more difficult as its a fundamental sound, certainly in eastern music, in which it is continuous. But, keeping this short, continuous means just that. I think many think 20 minutes reasonable, well the old LP standard. Classical music has much longer works. A short drone is never continuous, if the duration for the player and audience becomes intolerable, that i'd argue is where the drone becomes significant. The work forces the ego of the listener / performer either to recoil or surrender.

From AUS DEN SIEBEN TAGEN Karlheinz Stockhausen May 1968

INTENSITxc3x84T
(xe2x80x9cIntensityxe2x80x9d)

play single sounds
with such dedication
until you feel the warmth
that radiates from you

play on and sustain it
as long as you can
JLIAT
Merzwow

Post by JLIAT »

NoiseWiki wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:57 am
crochambeau wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:51 am I'm a gnat's whisker from splitting this portion of the thread into the shitpail that is MISC so it may stay on topic, dig?
Does seem like it's gotten away from the OP having to do with appropriate track durations :lol:
That's interesting, LPs give 20 minutes, I think on Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell they had to speed up the final recording to fit. Singles 4 ish minutes.. so dictating pop songs lengths. I think Hey Jude was the longest? The difficulty with CD's longer lengths was in part 'cured' by 'bonus tracks'.

Its said that the 74 minute original CD was to be able to record all of Beethoven 9th. But if you go to a Wagner opera, my wife did, notice the audience have picnic baskets - 5 ish hours.
crochambeau
Merzwow

Post by crochambeau »

JLIAT wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:07 am I've no idea why you posted the china doll thing to my serious reply to the OP.

That is why I essentially said the reasoning you presented amounted to a shell of a shape that can offer benefit through being undone.

That, and the bearing of which you're repeating this "point" (or lack thereof) as if from an authoritative position, as opposed to something rooted in your own experience.

We care not about the posted speed limit, or the line of reasoning that settled upon that particular number, only how fast or slow we prefer to drive our cars.

Does that help clarify?